Welcome to Gaia! ::

The SpanGlish Guild

Back to Guilds

Aprende Ingles. --//-- Learn spanish!! FIRST BILINGUAL GUILD!!!!!! 

Tags: EspaƱol, Ingles, Contests, Games, Spanish 

Reply SpanGlisH
Help find spanish surname

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dlen Isolde

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:22 pm
Hi,

My father is trying to find an old friend from his past. He says the surname is pronounced Veehill. That of course is my attempt to spell it the way dad pronounced it. Dad says his friend was definitely Spanish.

My husband who is of Hispanic decent says that it does not sound like a Spanish name to him.

I've tried to come up with spellings that might work. Like Vijel since j is pronounced like an h. But that doesn't look right either.

Does anyone have any idea what the name really is?

Thank you very much for your help.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:26 pm
My best guess would be 'Vigil'.  

xehanort777

3,000 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Beta Explorer 0

Spaniard The Last Angel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:26 pm
From someone who can detect an accent-origin of a person just by haering them speak... Veehill... sounds middle eastern to me. That or it's European Spanish/Italian. I can definatly imagine some strong accent on that pronounciation though. Like: VehHil  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:30 pm
Spaniard The Last Angel
That or it's European Spanish/Italian.

The variation of spelling that I presented above is of Euro-Spanish-Italo origin. However the suggestion of middle eastern decent is very possible considering Moorish influences on Hispanic culture.  

xehanort777

3,000 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Beta Explorer 0

Spaniard The Last Angel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:47 pm
xehanort777
Spaniard The Last Angel
That or it's European Spanish/Italian.

The variation of spelling that I presented above is of Euro-Spanish-Italo origin. However the suggestion of middle eastern decent is very possible considering Moorish influences on Hispanic culture.

So possbily, Andorrian. -That little country at the southern tip of Spain that NO ONE knows about.-

As xehanort777 said, the moors conqured most of Spain in the 1500's until the crusaders finally drove them out. Much of southern Spain still has many moorish influences on them, especially in architecture.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:47 pm
I appreciate the help.

I'm trying to use search engines to find Spanish surnames. I can't find anything that is easy to use. It's amazing how inadequate they are.

The couple I've found that let you look up list alphabetically don't have a complete list. I know because even my last name isn't among them.

It's very frustrating. Especially since I don't know the spelling nor even the correct pronunciation.  

Dlen Isolde

SpanGlisH

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff