Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CFO Charles Ofdensen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:39 pm
OOC: Opinions?

They're one of my other favorite bands, personally. But I think their sound is going downhill, favoring more Metallica-like heaviness over their older, more harmonic-but-still-kickass sound.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:45 am
I can't necessarily say that I blame them. Playing technically all the time starts out fine and well, but after a while you sort of set yourself up into a box of expectations and the walls stand to the heavens. Sometimes a good ol' lick of rock 'n roll will help you break them down and have fun again just delivering some good songs.

Personally I've never been much a fan. I just haven't listened to much of their catalogue, so I won't say I know all about them. I will say Myung is a talented bassist, and Petrucci is good at what he does, but I think he overshadows others. Nowhere near as bad as Dragonforce though. Their song material may be great, but I don't want to hear 90 mph solos on every track, especially when many sound so similar.

Anyways, I'll deliver more insight later on when I have a more informed opinion of them. Which may be a while, outside of Rush I'm not too sure how much prog I'm really into.  

Reverend MacManus
Crew

OG Bibliophile

16,500 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Punk Patrol 250

CFO Charles Ofdensen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:08 pm
Herr Wulf
I can't necessarily say that I blame them. Playing technically all the time starts out fine and well, but after a while you sort of set yourself up into a box of expectations and the walls stand to the heavens. Sometimes a good ol' lick of rock 'n roll will help you break them down and have fun again just delivering some good songs.

Personally I've never been much a fan. I just haven't listened to much of their catalogue, so I won't say I know all about them. I will say Myung is a talented bassist, and Petrucci is good at what he does, but I think he overshadows others. Nowhere near as bad as Dragonforce though. Their song material may be great, but I don't want to hear 90 mph solos on every track, especially when many sound so similar.

Anyways, I'll deliver more insight later on when I have a more informed opinion of them. Which may be a while, outside of Rush I'm not too sure how much prog I'm really into.

Ugh, I can't stand Dragonforce. >>;

Yeah, that's why I think they should calm down a bit. Their older albums (Images and Words, Awake) were really nothing like the newer ones. It all went downhill after James LaBrie ruined his voice.
sad

Prog for me was an acquired taste. Rush got me started, honestly.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:56 pm
I remember when I first started guitar. I wouldn't listen to anything I thought was "simple." I'd beat myself up if I didn't come up with something complex. Ironic seeing as what drove me earliest in my guitar days besides the usual metal bands was the black metal bit. I had to come up with great riffs and attempt solos. I've never been great at soloing. I don't think I have the knack for it honestly. Then again, I never sat down to force myself to write 'em that much. I should have looking back, but perhaps fate has its strange way of leading us to the instruments we're supposed to play. At least for some of us.

Point in case, even though I love complex material, especially in metal and when melodic punk has all instruments shining through; I just can't sit through too many 7-9 minute songs. At least not when it's all riffage based. I get bored, and want to listen to something more sing-a-long friendly. That's probably why I love timeless stuff such as Ramones and Misfits. Iron Maiden is the exception though. There is so much going on, and the vocal melodies are so awesome that I just love listening to them. Here lately it's been Flight of Icarus. Damn I enjoy that song.

Still though, I'd look to Myung for bass influence for sure. I also looked to Heath and Taiji of X Japan fame as well. Can't rule those dudes out either.  

Reverend MacManus
Crew

OG Bibliophile

16,500 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Punk Patrol 250

CFO Charles Ofdensen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:35 pm
Herr Wulf
I remember when I first started guitar. I wouldn't listen to anything I thought was "simple." I'd beat myself up if I didn't come up with something complex. Ironic seeing as what drove me earliest in my guitar days besides the usual metal bands was the black metal bit. I had to come up with great riffs and attempt solos. I've never been great at soloing. I don't think I have the knack for it honestly. Then again, I never sat down to force myself to write 'em that much. I should have looking back, but perhaps fate has its strange way of leading us to the instruments we're supposed to play. At least for some of us.

Point in case, even though I love complex material, especially in metal and when melodic punk has all instruments shining through; I just can't sit through too many 7-9 minute songs. At least not when it's all riffage based. I get bored, and want to listen to something more sing-a-long friendly. That's probably why I love timeless stuff such as Ramones and Misfits. Iron Maiden is the exception though. There is so much going on, and the vocal melodies are so awesome that I just love listening to them. Here lately it's been Flight of Icarus. Damn I enjoy that song.

Still though, I'd look to Myung for bass influence for sure. I also looked to Heath and Taiji of X Japan fame as well. Can't rule those dudes out either.
Oh lord, X Japan. whee  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:25 pm
Dream Theatre are an incredible band, Ive got several of there albums.
I know what your saying about them favouring Metallica, but honestly, who cares xD They're doing a damn good job at it.
You will probably beat the piss out of me for this, but I've never had the time to sit through an entire album sweatdrop  

VeXeD -0

Other Music [Like other metal bands? Talk about them here!]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff