Welcome to Gaia! ::

おはようございます!!! A Japanese Learning Guild~ Open!

Back to Guilds

This is a guild where you learn and teach Japanese! There's roleplays, lessons, contests and more!This is also for people who love japan ! 

Tags: Japanese, learning, teaching, roleplays 

Reply おはようございます!!! A Japanese Learning Guild~
Suggestions~

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think these suggestions are good?
  はい! (Yes)
  いえ! (No)
View Results

Arkab

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:51 am

It seems kinda weird to me that despite the huge amount of users around there's not a single thread dedicated to having feedback on possible improvements made such that the guild can be navigated with more ease.

Some of the things that I thought might help:

~Reorganize the lessons subforum~
Rather than having every teacher making a separate threads and making a huge mess, consolidate lessons and split them into different sections for easier browsing. It might be better to have each section in individual threads.

~Vet the lessons before publishing onto subforums~
It is very important that the crew or volunteer teachers do not disseminate wrong information, either through typo errors or a mistake in that person's understanding of a particular aspect that is covered in the lesson.

Hence I'm suggesting that some amendments are made to existing rules, teachers intending to publish lessons should first post within the crew subforums for a quality check, and the content approved by at least three others before being moved or copied into the lessons subforum.

~Sticky threads~
This is very important for beginner threads, particularly conjunctions and tenses should always be at the top of the list. Sentence structure is the basis for the language and hence should be given priority. Other threads which introduce people to common sentences and more advanced structures should then come next. Topics introducing kanji doesn't need to be stickied, since they should be readily available on online translators or dictionaries.

~Assignments~
Depending on how the teaching staff is assigned, you can have these tagged onto the lessons, or assigned to individual staff to administer. One thing that should prove more beneficial to the students however, would be to send completed assignments to the sensei in charge of a particular lesson, or tutoring the user. That should prove more of a challenge, rather than seeing answers from others who posted theirs on the thread earlier.

~Set up a directory listing teaching staff and respective mules~
With the earlier suggestion of assignments through private messages, those who do not wish to have their inbox flooded should set up mule accounts for this purpose. And this announcement or sticky thread is to help students find the mules of their respective senseis.

~Set up a request thread~
While I'm sure the crew is working hard to deliver content, it might not be what members are needing or wanting to learn. Hence, maybe a request thread should be set up with a weekly or monthly poll to see what's missing, and have users post their requests if the topic they want is not included in the polls.

~Sticky the introductions thread~
Maybe this would attract more people who are making their introductions to the thread instead of making their own threads? This should also help those who are here to welcome these new members.

~~~~~~
That is what I have to say.
I might include more if they come to my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:04 pm
Great ideas! Seconded!!  

Priestess of Sekhmet

Arkab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:00 am

Some more things that I thought might help.

~Have an English translation in white~
I respect everyone's attempts at trying to converse in Japanese whether it is in hiragana, romanji, or kanji for the advanced people, but it would help if people also included an English translation of what they were trying to say in Japanese.

This can help the teaching crew to pick out mistakes easier, if there were any, and it would also work the other way to give students something to refer to when they meet sentences they don't understand. Furthermore, it also prevents an awkward situation where someone makes a huge mistake and ends up with nobody understanding the slightest bit of the sentence.

~Add Hiragana for Kanji~
As many of us are trying to learn Japanese, there are many Kanji words that we may not understand. Hence, it would help if those who use kanji could include in brackets the hiragana for the kanji they use. This would aid us in searching for the word in online dictionaries.

おはようございます!!! A Japanese Learning Guild~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games