Welcome to Gaia! ::

Arts of the Midnight

Back to Guilds

Where time is not a boundary for dreams. 

Tags: arts, painting, music, movies, randomness 

Reply AM forum
Tablets,

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Red Frogers

Witty Prophet

11,575 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:45 am
I don't mind them but they are a slap in the face to real artists, you don't have to put in the time making sure your pencil lines and brush strokes are even, it really does take some skill, but, I don't know I just don't like them.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:54 am
*shrugs* I just got one... haven't gotten the full experience of it yet but they are pretty difficult to get used to... I have to agree that normal pencil and brush work is 1. my favorite and 2. a bit more difficult, but tablets require a different skill level, and it's good to be open to all different types of art, no?  

Kittythulu

Red Frogers

Witty Prophet

11,575 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:38 am
But when Tablet artists look at my hand drawn and laugh all I have to say is "Why don't you pick up a pencil" and they sweat... Alot.

You do have to have some art background but its mostly a graphic editing and shouldn't be compared in the same class of art.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:21 am
I actually disagree. I own a tablet for almost an year now, and I'm much better with the pencil.
And when I draw with my tablet I don't do any 'edits' to my art.. It's not the fact that they use tablets that is wrong... It's how they use them.
Besides it's more than proved that it is not the tool that makes the artist..  

The Purple Bubble

Hilarious Elder

starbolt22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:50 am
I have a tablet, but I don't use it to edit art that I scan. I use pencil and paper for really good pencil drawings, and my tablet is for my CG work along with line edits on Breedable/Changing pet shop work, which usually, you'll need a tablet rather than the mouse to edit.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:00 am
The Purple Bubble
I actually disagree. I own a tablet for almost an year now, and I'm much better with the pencil.
And when I draw with my tablet I don't do any 'edits' to my art.. It's not the fact that they use tablets that is wrong... It's how they use them.
Besides it's more than proved that it is not the tool that makes the artist..

All the sketches and quickies I've drawn for the guild, were specifically drawn for gaia and didn't take any time. lol But it does just irk me when people "TRACE"

And art is something that everyone big and small can comprehend and create it just takes time, effort and love, I've seen some pretty underachieved artists, turn completely around. But I've also been tattooing out of my own shop for a couple years now.

Try drawing on people , specially when you know you're hurting them... Its difficult.  

Red Frogers

Witty Prophet

11,575 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Mark Twain 100

The Purple Bubble

Hilarious Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:32 am
Pirate Cadaver
All the sketches and quickies I've drawn for the guild, were specifically drawn for gaia and didn't take any time. lol But it does just irk me when people "TRACE"

And art is something that everyone big and small can comprehend and create it just takes time, effort and love, I've seen some pretty underachieved artists, turn completely around. But I've also been tattooing out of my own shop for a couple years now.

Try drawing on people , specially when you know you're hurting them... Its difficult.

I don't know what you're trying to say by that, but I never said it was easy.
And you said it yourself, it takes time and effort to do anything, be it art or not.
Oh and as for tracing, you can trace with a pencil too. xD
Again, it's not what you use but how you use it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:12 pm
I've been doing pencil drawings for a while but decided to get a tablet to find that I was in over my head with it. It was quite difficult to get used to but I think I may be getting the hang of it.

It think it's unfair to say that tablets are a 'slap in the face' to 'real artists'. I've seen work done on tablets that could only be described as real art. While there are shortcuts with computers and tablets, if you can't draw, then a tablet really is useless.

That's what I make of it anyway. I'm not going to argue either way because I love using both pencil and tablet!  

Cliffy Byro

Red Frogers

Witty Prophet

11,575 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:20 pm
The Purple Bubble
Pirate Cadaver

I don't know what you're trying to say by that, but I never said it was easy.
And you said it yourself, it takes time and effort to do anything, be it art or not.
Oh and as for tracing, you can trace with a pencil too. xD
Again, it's not what you use but how you use it.

Yeah its what you use, and how you use it what classifies and artist,

Also the topic though blurred is just "Should they be held under the same classification of art"
Because there is no way to compare, but people still do, it pains me to see technology outright and defy skill.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:48 pm
For me, there isn't a blur in the topic at all. They're both means of producing art. I'm going to be rather vain in referencing two pieces that I did, but it serves to make my point.

Done with pencil:

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo2/C2Aye/HughLaurie-House.jpg

Done with tablet:

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo2/C2Aye/OliviaWilde2copy.jpg

The same techniques are applied to both. Sure, maybe you can use a tablet to cut some corners, but I still spent a good 8-10 hours doing the tablet piece. I think I took less time with the pencil drawing to be honest!

It's a different way of presenting the same art form for me. Like how music can be presented either through performance or recording.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I don't mean to be provocative or anything smile  

Cliffy Byro

AM forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff