Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Now imagine if this had been a mall.....

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

war_junky 91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:38 pm
2 Dead in Las Vegas federal building shootout

Not full article in the quote below. Just main tidbits.

Yahoo News

LAS VEGAS – A man dressed in black opened fire with a shotgun at a federal building Monday in downtown Las Vegas, killing a court security guard and wounding a U.S. marshal before he was shot to death in a running gunbattle across the street.

The gunfire erupted moments after 8 a.m. at the start of the work week and lasted for several minutes. Shots echoed around tall buildings in the area, more than a mile north of the Las Vegas Strip. An Associated Press reporter on the eighth floor of a high-rise within sight of the federal building heard a sustained barrage of gunfire.

"From what witness accounts have said, he walked in with a shotgun underneath his jacket and opened fire when he opened the doors," Dickey said. "Seven officers responded and returned fire."

Ensign said the guard who died had been shot in the chest.

A YouTube video recorded the sound of the running firefight as the man retreated across Las Vegas Boulevard toward another federal building and a historic school.

"I could see guards and everything coming out, and then all of a sudden I just started hearing pop, pop, pop. I mean, just like 30 or 40 shots," said Troy Saccal, a tax services manager who was arriving for work at the time.

Saccal said he thought he saw one guard slump to the ground and another move to help him.

The gunman died moments later in the bushes outside the restored Fifth Street School, where his body remained for several hours.

A Las Vegas police spokeswoman, Officer Barbara Morgan, said the man had been shot in the head.

It took seven fully trained police officers to take this guy down quickly. If that guy had decided to do that at a mall versus a bunch of rent-a-cops and a bunch of unarmed civillians i can't imagine what kind of carnage he would have created.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 pm
Obviously the only solution is to disarm everyone entirely.

I find it oddly amusing that the only people he shot at were heavily armed, and there were only two casualties, including himself. I'm curious to know why though.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:33 pm
Somehow, I get the feeling he didn't entirely plan this out the way he should have.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:51 pm
Requiem in Mortis
Somehow, I get the feeling he didn't entirely plan this out the way he should have.

I don't think he planned this out at all, really.  

Confectionery Pastry

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:57 pm
Sugar daddy donut
Requiem in Mortis

I don't think he planned this out at all, really.
Yea, I've got the same feeling.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:34 pm
Sounds like your run-of-the-mill nutcase with a gun.

But no matter how quick and unsuccessful he was, he'll still give the antis what they want against us.

But really, what an idiot. He wasn't after the single person he killed, or he would have done it somewhere else. And he knew people there would be armed, so why didn't he at least jerry-rig a bulletproof vest out of a big cast-iron pot or something? I mean what was he thinking? He'd just go into a room full of armed people by himself, with a single shotgun? I don't care if it was an AA-12, that's just bad planning.

Maybe some kind of delusional hatred for government? Or at least the first-floor peons that he'd have encountered. I mean there's no way he expected to get to a high-ranking official, is there? And which "federal building" was it, anyway?

I guess I'm over-analyzing this. But the guy sounds like a real dumbass. rolleyes

My sympathies to the victim's family, though.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:40 pm
ArmasTermin

But no matter how quick and unsuccessful he was, he'll still give the antis what they want against us.

But really, what an idiot. He wasn't after the single person he killed, or he would have done it somewhere else. And he knew people there would be armed, so why didn't he at least jerry-rig a bulletproof vest out of a big cast-iron pot or something? I mean what was he thinking? He'd just go into a room full of armed people by himself, with a single shotgun? I don't care if it was an AA-12, that's just bad planning.

Maybe some kind of delusional hatred for government? Or at least the first-floor peons that he'd have encountered. I mean there's no way he expected to get to a high-ranking official, is there? And which "federal building" was it, anyway?

I guess I'm over-analyzing this. But the guy sounds like a real dumbass. rolleyes

Death by cop, maybe. It's a reasonably surefire form of suicide, but since it's technically murder in self defense, the life insurance company still has to pay out.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:11 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Death by cop, maybe. It's a reasonably surefire form of suicide, but since it's technically murder in self defense, the life insurance company still has to pay out.

If so, he didn't have to kill anyone. Just blasting randomly would have worked. He'd have to be pretty disturbed to not only want to kill himself, but not mind shooting down an innocent (allegedly) federal worker. And even if it was suicide by cop, he ran. So he either chickened out halfway through or had some kind of plot to get people away from the building and follow him. Maybe some cohorts snuck in amid the confusion to... well I don't know.  

ArmasTermin

OO23OO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:19 am
ArmasTermin

If so, he didn't have to kill anyone. Just blasting randomly would have worked. He'd have to be pretty disturbed to not only want to kill himself, but not mind shooting down an innocent (allegedly) federal worker. And even if it was suicide by cop, he ran. So he either chickened out halfway through or had some kind of plot to get people away from the building and follow him. Maybe some cohorts snuck in amid the confusion to... well I don't know.
A majority of the times paramedics are saving someone who has attempted suicide, if they're awake, they say 'Don't let me die' or something of the sort. Maybe that was the case here, except without the paramedics.... and the living.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:49 pm
I heard he did it because his social security or some such s**t got cut.
While he was crazy perhaps he was not out to kill civilians.  

OberFeldwebel

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff