Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Calender

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:31 pm
So I got The Witch's Calender and it is really neat! Each month there are about 5 long paragraphs talking about the meaning of the month. From where the name came from to what one might do durng that time. And it has the moon phases and astrological signs marked. It is from Llewellyn. Are there any books by this person?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Llewellyn is the publisher of most New age books, not an author ^-^;;

Ahem, Could we get some tea?
No? Please?
What about... What about vodka?
Um... Brandy? Alright, brandy it is, thank you!

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:04 pm
Aakosir
So I got The Witch's Calender and it is really neat! Each month there are about 5 long paragraphs talking about the meaning of the month. From where the name came from to what one might do durng that time. And it has the moon phases and astrological signs marked. It is from Llewellyn. Are there any books by this person?

http://www.llewellyn.com/product.php?ean=9780738706924

This link here talks more about the people features as writers for their calendar; you can probably find out more about them that way.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:51 pm
Llewellyn is the root of all evil - they don't really care how accurate or knowledgeable their authors are, if they think it will make them a lot of money, then they will sell it.

Be very wary of books that they have published... not saying they are all crap, but just be sure to check and double check sources and whatnot.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:00 pm
too2sweet
Llewellyn is the root of all evil - they don't really care how accurate or knowledgeable their authors are, if they think it will make them a lot of money, then they will sell it.

Be very wary of books that they have published... not saying they are all crap, but just be sure to check and double check sources and whatnot.

I second this.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:50 pm
Lucas Moonrose

Llewellyn is the publisher of most New age books, not an author ^-^;;

Ahem, Could we get some tea?
No? Please?
What about... What about vodka?
Um... Brandy? Alright, brandy it is, thank you!

OOOOOOOooooo.... =^_^=  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:52 pm
rmcdra
too2sweet

I second this.

Ok. Thanks. I haven't found many books, but I have from the reading list.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 am
But still Llewellyn is the most popular new age publisher...it's hard to find stuff that isn't from them, unless you're looking off the internet. (Yay Amazon!) And that really isn't possible for underage people who want to hide their books from their parents.  

Sam Oaken Willow 17

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:02 pm
Sam Oaken Willow 17
But still Llewellyn is the most popular new age publisher...
Popular is not always correct. It was popular that the Earth was flat at one point.
Quote:

it's hard to find stuff that isn't from them, unless you're looking off the internet. (Yay Amazon!)
It's more of that they will publish anything and not fact check the authors they publish. Even if it wasn't from Llewellyn it's good research habit to double check an author and the sources they list in a bibliography.
Quote:
And that really isn't possible for underage people who want to hide their books from their parents.

Why is it ethical that an underage person should hide books from their caretakers?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:42 am
Aakosir

I actually bought Llewellyn's Witch planner last year, but I can't say I'm going to buy it again since I didn't really use it. It isn't exactly the sort of planner you can tote around as a professional. I personally find a lot of the information they put in their calendars useless, since I don't follow astrology, but if you do, I can see how it would be incredibly useful. if you like the calendar, you might want to check out the planner as well. By now they'll all be discounted.  

Starlock

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Starlock
Aakosir

I actually bought Llewellyn's Witch planner last year, but I can't say I'm going to buy it again since I didn't really use it. It isn't exactly the sort of planner you can tote around as a professional. I personally find a lot of the information they put in their calendars useless, since I don't follow astrology, but if you do, I can see how it would be incredibly useful. if you like the calendar, you might want to check out the planner as well. By now they'll all be discounted.

I use my phone for everything like that. My calender on my phone is covered in appts.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:55 pm
Sam Oaken Willow 17
But still Llewellyn is the most popular new age publisher...it's hard to find stuff that isn't from them, unless you're looking off the internet. (Yay Amazon!) And that really isn't possible for underage people who want to hide their books from their parents.

I'm lucky I don't really have to hide them from my mom. She doesn't really care.  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:57 pm
Morgandria
Aakosir

http://www.llewellyn.com/product.php?ean=9780738706924

This link here talks more about the people features as writers for their calendar; you can probably find out more about them that way.

Thanks. It would be a good idea to look up the writers and not just take the publishers words.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games