Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Church of Universal Eclectic Wicca

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sam Oaken Willow 17

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:50 pm
I know that there are some very knowledgeable Wiccans here that are initiated and have experience in a more traditional Wiccan tradition than this one, so I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

http://www.cuew.org/  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:22 pm
"Eclectic Wicca" is an oxymoron. These guys appear to be a bunch of eclectic neo-pagans who slapped the label "Wicca" on their practices just because they liked the name and/or are too ignorant to know better.  

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:28 pm
*throws up a bit in my mouth*

Well seeing as how Eclecticism runs contrary to how Wicca actually works, the whole idea of "Eclectic Wicca" is at best, laughable.

Home page of UEW
UEW defines Wicca as any religion that calls itself Wicca

Really? Is this really a great idea? So according to them, if I wanted to rape babies and eat kittens while beating up my neighbor I could call it Wicca and my practices would be a-okay with them? I mean, it feels right and good to me. Doesn't that scare you in the slightest? It leaves the door wide open for any wacko who likes the word Wicca to further rape the term and misconstrue it.

It makes me wonder if people like the folks who run that organisation ever stop to hear the bullshit coming out of their mouths (or fingers, respectively).

UEW Homepage
AND upholds the Five Points of Wiccan Belief.

Really? What Five Points of Wiccan Belief? Wicca is an orthopraxy. It doesn't matter what a Wiccan believes so long as their practice is correct.

UEW Homepage
We mean what works for you after careful evaluation, study and experimentation within the context of Wicca.

What context though? According to them, the definition is so wide and loose that I could revere YHVH, worship Mary as a goddess, and have an extra-heavy nature bent and STILL call it Wicca.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:37 pm
Their legal section made me lol hard.  

doistu

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:57 pm
CUEW is not lineaged Wicca in any way, and has no claim to the word 'Wicca' itself, nor any authority to define it.

The 'founder' of said tradition is an individual named Kaatryn MacMorgan-Douglas; her books are used as the foundation of the organization's teaching. I had the misfortune of being online in the late 90's and early 00's when she was active on online forums; she's practically a one-woman witch-war. Beliefnet used to be a shrine to her ability to be controversial, and combative, and absolutely ridiculous, at times.

Personally, I wouldn't ever waste my time reading her work. She pretty much deigns to speak for Wicca, as if she is some kind of ultimate authority, and heaps on the "Wicca is what you want it to be - as long as it follows what I say it is" attitude".  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:42 am
Morgandria
The 'founder' of said tradition is an individual named Kaatryn MacMorgan-Douglas; her books are used as the foundation of the organization's teaching. I had the misfortune of being online in the late 90's and early 00's when she was active on online forums; she's practically a one-woman witch-war. Beliefnet used to be a shrine to her ability to be controversial, and combative, and absolutely ridiculous, at times.

I did not know that. Good information, everyone. The opinion was what I expected, but I just wanted to know your specifics. smile  

Sam Oaken Willow 17

Starlock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:38 am
Kaatryn MacMorgan-Douglas is associated with them? Hmm. Either I forgot that bit of info or it's news to me. I actually loaned out her Wicca 333 to read and... well... I had mixed feelings about it. On the plus side, I was impressed that it actually dealt with some of the deeper philosophical/theological issues of Wicca (or Neowicca if you prefer... whatever). On the minus side, I generally felt her treatment was poor, overly-opinionated, and ironically not backed with the sorts of things she claimed to hold as her own standards. xd :

I don't have any personal experience with the CUEW, but if it it's something that appeals to you, go for it. It's not Trad Wicca, but if you're not into that sort of thing, it might be worth your time, especially if you can scope them out first if you live near their actual home-base location.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games