Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)
THIS is why I don't take more past life stories seriously. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:26 am
I don't know if you've heard about the Otherkin subculture, but it's basically a bunch of people who believe they were fairies, elves, dragons, etc. in past lives.

I find this rather implausible as it is, but there's a subgroup of these that's even more implausible: Otakukin.

Otakukin believe they are the reincarnations of video game, cartoon, or movie characters. They claim it's plausible because there are an infinite number of universes in which the events of whatever it is they're obsessed with could have actually taken place.

Then came James Cameron's Avatar. To paraphrase someone else, as a movie about blue catpeople who live in harmony with their gorgeous planet, it didn't stand a chance. Now people are claiming to be Na'vi reborn as humans, or something to that effect.

"Past life" stories like these would be a lot more impressive if these people actually remembered their fantastical past lives before someone made it into a movie or whatever.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:56 pm
I did Past Life Regression work for several years, and in private practice thankfully never came across anyone who claimed anything other than a human past life.

I'm honestly not sure what my stance is on "otherkin". I personally don't think we reincarnate into anything other than human, but I know that there are other religions who believe otherwise, so I know it would be rude of me to dismiss it completely. However when it comes to mystical beings and/or creatures, I have a hard time believing it. Not that I don't necessarily believe that such things exist, but I don't see us as being on the same "wavelength" so to speak.

I have a great affinity for dragons, doesn't mean that I think I was one.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Sam Oaken Willow 17

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:32 pm
I believe in past lives, I just don't believe I personally have some according to other people's definitions. Some are easier to believe than others--those that say they have thousands or even hundreds of past lives I'm not so sure about but otherkin I can kinda see that working out...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:00 pm
I believe we can incarnate as different animals. But that, to me, has nothing to do with "otherkin". Having been an animal once doesn't mean you're one now, or that that animal wants anything much to do with you.

Incarnating as creatures that aren't strictly mortal? they're dreaming. Having the "soul" of a creature that isn't strictly mortal? practically offensive.

Consider, for instance, those people who claim they are Changelings and that they are actually fairies and one day they'll be reunited with their faerie court or whatever. These people rarely know what a Changeling actually is. Try to tell them that their apparent "real parents" willingly gave them away when they exchanged them for a stolen human baby. Go on, try. They actually get offended and tell you you're being prejudiced against Faeries for spreading Christian lies.

I s**t you not.

Anyway, these people piss me off no end. If I am to respect this otherkinism, and accept that a person had the soul of an animal, I'd need to put this on the level of transexualism. So this otherkin should be suffering. They should, theoretically, be going through this massive body dysmorphia, or whatever, and, like a transexual, I would encourage them to live as what they feel they are. Transexuals all have to do this before a sex-change operation.

But are they? no. They're on the internet posting in forums. They're showering. (Even the cat lot. I'm tellin' ya, if they're cats, I want to see 'em licking themselves clean.) They're enjoying their lives as humans.

Anyway, that's my rant done. cool  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

surukio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:24 am
Sanguina Cruenta
I believe we can incarnate as different animals. But that, to me, has nothing to do with "otherkin". Having been an animal once doesn't mean you're one now, or that that animal wants anything much to do with you.

Incarnating as creatures that aren't strictly mortal? they're dreaming. Having the "soul" of a creature that isn't strictly mortal? practically offensive.

Consider, for instance, those people who claim they are Changelings and that they are actually fairies and one day they'll be reunited with their faerie court or whatever. These people rarely know what a Changeling actually is. Try to tell them that their apparent "real parents" willingly gave them away when they exchanged them for a stolen human baby. Go on, try. They actually get offended and tell you you're being prejudiced against Faeries for spreading Christian lies.

I s**t you not.

Anyway, these people piss me off no end. If I am to respect this otherkinism, and accept that a person had the soul of an animal, I'd need to put this on the level of transexualism. So this otherkin should be suffering. They should, theoretically, be going through this massive body dysmorphia, or whatever, and, like a transexual, I would encourage them to live as what they feel they are. Transexuals all have to do this before a sex-change operation.

But are they? no. They're on the internet posting in forums. They're showering. (Even the cat lot. I'm tellin' ya, if they're cats, I want to see 'em licking themselves clean.) They're enjoying their lives as humans.

Anyway, that's my rant done. cool

lol i have to agree some with you here

though i think it is (in rare case that is) plausible (if you read the sidhe had a habit of in breeding with humans in myth but that is a totally different can of worms) saying your some mythical being like a unicorn, griffin, faery (in the terms of acual disney faery with WINGS [which wasn't prevailent until the mid 1800's rolleyes stare neutral ] )

animals wise (hehe) well if i were one i'm one of the few truely capable of doing the .."cleaning" routine (almost ...anyways there are SOME areas that you just cant.... reach [and i'm not going to try] wink ) but thats to due with things such as flexibility (i have done yoga and gymnastics most my life here >_> ) but you don't see me going "hey i was/am a CAT!!!

i have a friend who literally though she was a DRAGON in human form like literally claimed to have wings of energy coming out her back eek

kk i'm going to stop ranting here >_>  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:41 am
People who claim to be some type of mythological creature, yet clearly don't understand anything about this creature outside of what they learned from Hollywood or modern fiction (which are often as not farther removed from the source folklore than most people think) also make me want to facepalm.

Basically, if claim you were some kind of mythological creature back in someteen-exty-ex that wouldn't be invented or imagined as such until the film era or was otherwise completely different according to traditional folklore, and you fail your plausibility check forever.  

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

surukio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 am
Yanueh
People who claim to be some type of mythological creature, yet clearly don't understand anything about this creature outside of what they learned from Hollywood or modern fiction (which are often as not farther removed from the source folklore than most people think) also make me want to facepalm.

Basically, if claim you were some kind of mythological creature back in someteen-exty-ex that wouldn't be invented or imagined as such until the film era or was otherwise completely different according to traditional folklore, and you fail your plausibility check forever.

i totally agree. that is just .... stare you know... major Fail right there if you claim that.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:31 am
Hehe what do you mean?!?! I am totally the reincarnation of Na'vi from Avatar!!! 4laugh

In all seriousness though. A few years back I asked one elder I know who is know passed away, who I was in my past life. He took a few mins. Closed his eyes, and told me: "you were a tree. This is your first incarnation as a human."

I was like "a tree", you got to be kidding me... So I went to a different elder a few months later and I asked who was I in a past life. (mind you these two people know each other in an acedemic sense. Not close at all nor do they talk more then 2 twice a year at special gatherings) Again, I got: "You were a tree", I was like ok... what species? Apparently I was a birch tree of some kind. So I am thinking... umm I don't feel particularly tree-ish.. So I continue on. About a year later I ask another elder. This is my most trusted elder who I feel great kinship with. I ask her, who was I in my past life. She answers... "You were a tree".

I kid you not, three different people. Same answer. I made them swear this was some big trick they were all playing on me. But they all assured me that is what they got. I don't feel particularly tree-ish... I like trees... umm I studied wildlife science in University... almost changed to botany... I don't really think that has much to do with being a tree though. I was just like, "man, everyone else gets to be something cool in their past lives... and I was a tree." razz LOL How anti climatic.  

Ivy_tsuki

Anannsul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:10 pm
I hate to revive death threads, but this is just particular to me...

I just have a question...

Do you think people who can create such exstensive worlds (in books) Possibly have lived during that time and is able to recreate it so to say?

I don't know.. I'd hate to say it.. but I think it's possible.

I mean the girl above me was a tree... So why couldn't people have past lives as elves or faeires?

I guess it's the way they present it that would make you go. " O_o say what now?"

I'm sure if someone came up to me and was like "I'm a faerie! like the ones in that one movie..."

I'm sure i'd be like. ">.> Right"

But it would still make me think. What goes on in their head that they believe deep inside themselves that they are that being or beast or whatever?

I believe that some people just wonder.... they don't know their identity... why they are here. Some are here and don't even feel connected to Earth so to speak. However, I believe that events.. or even books or movies can help open them up... possibly make them remember. Maybe being an avatar is out there... but maybe it woke those people up and made them more aware of something they were....

Or maybe they are and they became trapped here. I mean think of it.. You are someone living in another place far from earth... it's magical there... and someone hates you and has the ability to send you somewhere.. Where else to send you but to a world where your magical abilities are nearly completely binded?

It would make since as a punishment... would it not?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:11 pm
A friend of mine really believes she's a vamp and that she gets part of her "energy" from her partner's blood.
I will admit she is extremely perceptive with energy workings and such, but ... i also wouldn't contribute it to her being a vamp (like she does). She just happens to have strong spiritual abilities.

Yup, otherkin are an odd bunch. They're strange but usually I can tolerate them. Otakukin freak me out.  

LadyAmamizu

-Vampire_of_Nyx-

Toxic Nymph

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:28 pm
i dont think that someone could be a dragon or farey is there past life however i do think that someone could have been an animal or so form of plant life. I mean we are reborn to learn right? So say someone was extremely impatient or couldnt setlle down? what better way to learn that if not becoming a tree? Or say someone was always holdin people back or was never letting some1 be free cause they werent? what better way to learn by becomeing a bird? They get to see what freedom is like so they will give others that to.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:15 pm
We say creatures like faeries and dragons exist, and they have a "soul," so when they die, why can't they be reincarnated as a human? Even if it's for something like a punishment. It's just energy, why is there a specific, "no you can't do that"?  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:45 pm
mechanical kitsy
We say creatures like faeries and dragons exist, and they have a "soul,"

I don't say that stuff myself.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:46 am
Esiris
mechanical kitsy
We say creatures like faeries and dragons exist, and they have a "soul,"

I don't say that stuff myself.

I meant as in general. Most people agree there is some kind of life energy.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:34 am
I don't discount the concept of otherkin...however, it has been my experience that most of the people who self-identify as otherkin are very loud about it. They want you to know what they think they are (and how it makes them special) and they want you to acknowledge their beliefs (either by being violently opposed and arguing with them, or by agreeing with them)

I would be much more inclined to believe someone if they were low key about it. What you are inside isn't something that needs validation from other people...it needs you to express it. Saying without words says a lot more than posting on every forum about it.

I agree with Sanguina to an extent. I think someone who truly felt that they were something else (not just used to be...but that a fundamental part of their Self was not human), that they would display traits of whatever they felt they were...and not just when people were watching.  
*~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games