Reply Chatterbox/Humor
WTF is up with Softball?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:14 am
So anyway, I've been watching this anime called Big Windup, which is about baseball. Now me, I've never had any interest in any sports ever (except competitive shooting and whatnot) but watching it has been putting into my mind that I want to try playing baseball. Since I'm out of school now and know no one whom does, then I don't really see that happening. But this thought had me remembering times in school when in gym we would play baseball, but it was actually softball. And I've got to wonder... why? I happen to know (thanks Wikipedia!) that softball was invented for playing indoors when range was restricted. So is there a good reason for an outdoor field to be limited to such a pansy version of the sport?

Also do any of you play baseball, care about it in any way, or have watched Big Windup? (You should!)

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MqqpwOovkA  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:30 am
ArmasTermin
So is there a good reason for an outdoor field to be limited to such a pansy version of the sport?
Vaginas. /halfsarcasm  

OO23OO

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:55 pm
It's a liability thing. Softballs are lighter, so if you take a line drive to the face, it won't shatter your nose and kill you.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:44 pm
It's slower, and generally easier for amatuers and a mixed group of people. Easier throws and catches, that kind of s**t.  

Tier One OPERATOR

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:49 pm
So there isn't a good reason.

Okay, just checking.

EDIT: Then again, here in LA the schools have no money because of our property tax system. So it might be that they just can't afford the helmets and catcher's armor stuff and whatnot, and it's just cheaper to buy a couple bats and softballs.

Still, lame.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:06 pm
We weren't allowed to play baseball at my school. Baseballs were "too hard", which is bullshit if you've ever tested them. Baseballs give, softballs don't. Anyway, we had to play softball. This, however, didn't help me when one kid absolutely failed the sweet spot, and dropped the bat mid-swing from the vibration. It flew into the dugout and smacked me in the head. Luckily I was next up to bat and it bounced off my batter's helmet. I was laughing my a** off, and he literally fell over halfway to first because he was laughing too hard to run. Needless to say, he got out.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Chatterbox/Humor

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas