Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Magsnetic_Huxling

6,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:00 pm
I'm going to Kamikaze con in houston in spring break. My problem is, this is my first con and I'm not sure what to do for making certain things for certain cosplays.

My options
Marluxia
Sephiroth-AC version
Leon-KH1

Each of them I wanted to make their weapons. I would like to know what kind of materials to use. And Sephiroth is who I am really leaning for. But my problem is I don't know what to do for the armor.
I can get wigs and the basic parts of the clothing no problem but I need to know exactly how I should make weapons and/or Sephiroth's armor.

The website for Kamikaze con hasn't put up and weapons regulations yet but it's not like I will go around carrying a seven foot long sword. I'm going to try to scale Masamune down a little bit for that reason and the fact that I don't know how heavy it could be depending on the material.
Sorry for stretching the page with these...
Refs

Marluxia
User Image

Sephiroth
User Image

Leon-I couldn't get a ref for the design on his back though.
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:20 pm
O.O My sephiroth has an 8ft long Masamune, and it's light enough that I can easily hold it and even hold poses with it. Made out of wood, for the armor you can use fun foam, here are a few tutorials that might be useful.

http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_vincent.html

Yeah it's for vincent but it might still be useful.

http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html  

l Cloud Strife I

6,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Team Edward 100

Dr Lucrecia Crescent MD
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:55 pm
I don't think the seven feet sword will be a problem either. Cloud posted some great links - check them out. And if you really want to go as Sephiroth, then you shall definitely do it! Good luck - don't forget to show pictures later! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:42 pm
If you are good decent at woodworking, this is an excellent tutorial to make your sword. Trust me, it's easy... really really easy... You would just have to scale it up a bit, the tutorial makes one about 3-4 feet. I made mine's out of pine wood, and it's not at all heavy.

this is step one, the other steps are located in the description.

The shoulder armor you can make out of fiberglass if you know how to use it, or you can go the easy way and make it out of craft foam and plastic: Link.

I personally like using This one because the materials are easier and cheaper to find. I link the above because the instructions are more clear.

Cloud linked both of these, lol!

As for Marluxia, I suggest making the top of his scythe out of MDF Wood, but it might get a little heavy.

I have the perfect pattern for Marluxia's cloak, but I can remember it right now, I'd have to look. And I think Cosworx's "Long Scruffy" is the perfect wig for him! :3  

mew Aeris
Vice Captain

qtest_lil_angel

Crew

Mythical Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:41 pm
are you aloud to have weapons in the place?
or do they have rules about them?
for example: my brother went to a anime convention last year and the rules were that it wasnt aloud to be plastic, wood, metal..etc. and it wasnt aloud to be over a certain length.
He went as Ichigo from Bleach and he made his sword out of foam( real size) because it was foam they said non of the rules mattered for it biggrin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:46 pm
Yeah, I'd check the rulebook. they usually have it online.  

mew Aeris
Vice Captain

Princess Augustine

Beloved Phantom

11,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:11 pm
We had Sephiroth at Comic-con '09, and he didn't scale the sword. While it may be long, it takes up relatively less room than most other swords. If my weapons-policy experience serves me well, convention security will peace-tie it. This is usually a small slip-tie or piece of bright tape place somewhere on the weapon (usually near the hilt and guard, for the sake of appearance) to show that you will adhere to the policy of generally not hurting people with it.

My Sephiroth from previous statement used a wooden floorboard for the blade of Masamume. Those wooden or plastic things that make a line between the floor and the wall. You can find them at any home improvement shop. While I can't remember what he used for the hilt and guard, I would suggest using pipe insulation (foam in the shape of a cylinder) cut into a rectangualr prism.

Hope this helps!~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:10 pm
foam is fun and the best for the armor.
wood would be best for masume, unless u find alot of foam, paint it, polish and all that fun stuff.  

Yazoo the Awsome

l Cloud Strife I

6,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:57 pm
Yazoo the Awsome
foam is fun and the best for the armor.
wood would be best for masume, unless u find alot of foam, paint it, polish and all that fun stuff.

Rub N'Buff , I need not say more since info on it can be foudn through the links I've posted.

For sephiroth's sword you can make both the handle and blade out of a single piece of wood but you will need to make the hand guard from a seperate piece. There are various ways of attaching it. I had fun helping sand the wood down.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:56 am
l Cloud Strife I

For sephiroth's sword you can make both the handle and blade out of a single piece of wood but you will need to make the hand guard from a seperate piece. There are various ways of attaching it. I had fun helping sand the wood down.

...All of which is in the deviant tutorial I posted! :3 Really! it's a good one, and Mr. Chioky is very friendly, and will help you out if you ask!  

mew Aeris
Vice Captain

l Cloud Strife I

6,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:39 pm
mew Aeris
l Cloud Strife I

...All of which is in the deviant tutorial I posted! :3 Really! it's a good one, and Mr. Chioky is very friendly, and will help you out if you ask!

o.o there's a tutorial?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:16 am
l Cloud Strife I
mew Aeris
l Cloud Strife I

o.o there's a tutorial?

http://www.gaiaonline.com/gaia/redirect.php?r=http://chioky.deviantart.com/art/The-Swordmaking-Tutorial-Pt-1-75236042  

mew Aeris
Vice Captain

Magsnetic_Huxling

6,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:17 pm
Thanks so much for the links and advice. Now I know what I'm going to do on it. I think Sephiroth would be the way to go since I know for sure there will be at least a Cloud there. (I know there always is) And my friends who went to Oni-Con said it was filled with people from KH and no Sephs so...I think I'll go with Seph. I'm actually growing out my hair to get as long as that so it would be easier to make it look good. I'll just get some silver hair color and put hair gel/spray on my bangs and stuff.

Okay so...foam for the armor and light wood for the sword. Maybe I won't have to scale it. I'm going to see if they posted the rules yet.

Thanks again for the help!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:50 pm
ohhh... are you sure you don't want to get a wig?

It will look a million times better, and in the long run, save you money if it's a nice wig.

Sephiroth's hair is very hard to pull off without a wig, unless you naturally have long silky-smooth light colored hair.  

mew Aeris
Vice Captain

HoIograph

Questionable Browser

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:19 pm
Ah I need helps too. My chosen options are- Rufus ShinRa (For Metrocon and Megacon if you must know) Squall/Leon(I have shoulder length brown hair and I'm getting it cut soon so I can get the style if I choose him, so I don't need a wig :3 so this seems the most appealing now. not to mention he's my favorite) and Cloudie!  
Cosplays! (Tips, pictures, WIPs)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff