Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Black candles, good or bad Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Unexpected Angel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:32 pm
ok when i go back home from school today my sister's friend's dad told me that black candle ar dangerous, true or not  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:46 pm
It's a candle. Just a candle. It's no more dangerous than any other candle.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

The Unexpected Angel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:05 pm
damn father figures  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 am
A lot of people are still under the misconception that black = bad. This is just silly. Color is inanimate and can't inherently represent negative energy. It's all how people see it. For instance, most Anglo folk use black to represent mourning, whereas (I believe it's the Islamic faith) uses white in their mourning. Does this now mean that white = bad because it is used to represent death and sadness? (Which brings up the silliness of death = bad, which we won't get into).  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

surukio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:42 pm
oOGarrettOo
A lot of people are still under the misconception that black = bad. This is just silly. Color is inanimate and can't inherently represent negative energy. It's all how people see it. For instance, most Anglo folk use black to represent mourning, whereas (I believe it's the Islamic faith) uses white in their mourning. Does this now mean that white = bad because it is used to represent death and sadness? (Which brings up the silliness of death = bad, which we won't get into).

in japan the living in mourning wear black and the corpse wears white.....

does that make one any worse then the other... no, it all how you charge in, by most terms black candled are use to help banish evil and bad intentions....  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:17 pm
no black isnt bad. its a color. whether or not you believe the color represents something is up to you and your ways.  

Lady_Suula

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:29 pm
Its all up to what you believe, different beliefs have different meanings for candle colors. Though if you believe that burning a black candle will have a negative effect, then it would be ill advised to use one.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:45 pm
DemonCount
Its all up to what you believe, different beliefs have different meanings for candle colors. Though if you believe that burning a black candle will have a negative effect, then it would be ill advised to use one.

Yeah, it's all about how you see the color of the candle and that determines if it's good or bad.

If you believe something has a negative quality, then for you, it will have negative quallities when you work with it.  

Viz_22

Beloved Prophet

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:18 pm
Viz_22
DemonCount

Yeah, it's all about how you see the color of the candle and that determines if it's good or bad.

If you believe something has a negative quality, then for you, it will have negative quallities when you work with it.

It's a candle. I think if you believe a hunk of wax, cotton, wire and dye is bad, then there's something wrong with you.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:07 pm
Esiris
Viz_22
DemonCount

It's a candle. I think if you believe a hunk of wax, cotton, wire and dye is bad, then there's something wrong with you.

I'm not saying that it is bad, I'm saying someone's view of it might reflect within their work because their focus might be thrown off from their original intent because they're uncomfortable working with a black candle.

Personally, I wish there were black candles available at Wal-Mart or Target that I could get my hands on.... I don't know of any place back home that I could get a black candle.... So I usually just substitute with someone else or omit it from the work being done.  

Viz_22

Beloved Prophet

DemonCount

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:24 pm
Esiris

It's less about the candle itself. Its a common belief that candle colors have meanings and are relevant to certain energies. And there a a couple things I have read about candle magic that mention the belief that black candles to some release negative energy, or something to that effect.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:25 am
Black candles represent death or rebirth. They're used in Samhain rituals.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:46 am
Viz_22

I'm not saying that it is bad, I'm saying someone's view of it might reflect within their work because their focus might be thrown off from their original intent because they're uncomfortable working with a black candle.
To me that's not the candle doing anything- it's them not being grounded enough and doing their work properly.

DemonCount

It's less about the candle itself. Its a common belief that candle colors have meanings and are relevant to certain energies. And there a a couple things I have read about candle magic that mention the belief that black candles to some release negative energy, or something to that effect.

People believe all kinds of silly things- that doesn't make them true.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:14 pm
I don't know if this is right but in the Wicca isn't the Black Candle suppose to drive out negative energy??  

AnnaWolfP

Cool Vampire

16,850 Points
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:12 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Black candles represent death or rebirth. They're used in Samhain rituals.

They represent a lot of different things, to different people, in different ways. Not everyone celebrates Samhain, or is on a Wiccan-inspired pagan path. Some people using black candles may not even be pagan.

xXAngel Wolf PrincessXx

I don't know if this is right but in the Wicca isn't the Black Candle suppose to drive out negative energy??

Well...what Wicca does with any coloured candle is oathbound. Couldn't tell you if I wanted to. wink

But the point with candles is really that they're just an object. They themselves hold nothing in particular until someone gives them intent. Not everyone associates the colour black with the same ideas, energies, or concepts, so you just can't say definitively "A black candles means '___________'" and that's it.  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff