Welcome to Gaia! ::

Forgotten Dreams

Back to Guilds

A place for people to roleplay, both beginners and experienced. 

Tags: Adventure, Anime, Fantasy, Love, Vampire/Dragon 

Reply >^Beginners^<
1. The First Step...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Let's begin...shall we?
  GOLD!!!!
View Results

Forsaken Exodus
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:07 pm
The first step to becoming better at roleplaying is to first learn how to speak, think, do, and listen... In this sticky, I, as well as others if they want to throw in some advice, will let you know how...  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:12 pm
Ok... to Speak:

In order for a character to speak we must put their words in quotation marks " " like any book would do. If it makes it easier to remember, think of yourself writing a portion of the book where you only control your character. Most people do not like it when someone controls their character's actions. Here's an example...

Bob stood glaring at Susie, "Why have you come here? What exactly are you looking for?"

As you can see, I only control Bob's actions, words, and thoughts. Not Susie's reaction to what Bob had said.

Now what about when you want to leave a comment? Well most people tell you to put it in {{ }}, [[ ]], (( )), or << >>

For example:
[[I just finished watching this awesome movie!!]]

If you can at least get this portion right, then most RPers will be happy with you!  

Forsaken Exodus
Captain

Forsaken Exodus
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:22 pm
Now... to Think:

As in books, when your character wants to think something you would place it in italics. You do not put it in quotation marks. That means something totally different! We'll get to that soon enough.

For example:
Bob sat down on a rock, contemplating Susie's response. But why would she come here for me? Why would she go that far?

Now only if in some RP's where you are given the gift of telepathy, can you only read these thoughts. Most people like to think that because they read them, now their character knows. When people put in thoughts, they like to help you get a picture as to how their character thinks and reacts to certain things.

What if I want to emphasize a word in a thought? Well... that's simple! Simply leave it normal or you can bold it... like this:

Bob's thoughts were racing, Can it really be her? If she would go that far for me, then maybe her love is true...

The same is vice-versa. If when speaking you want to emphasize a word, italicize it.

Bob looked into her eyes, "You are in love with me? A lowly farmer? But you are a princess!"

Pretty simple 'ey?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:27 pm
Onwards! Let's take Action:

Through experience and watching others, a lot of people tend to use * *. Remember what I said in the beginning? Think like a book... You type out their actions as if you, yourself, or if you were watching them.

Bob then jumped to his feet and embraced Susie in a warm, gentle hug.

Most of the time you use the past tense to explain actions. Kind of read it aloud to yourself and see if it sounds good to you.  

Forsaken Exodus
Captain

Forsaken Exodus
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:36 pm
Shhh....Listen....:

This is one of the most important of them all. It's not always the easiest thing to do, especially when you first start out, but after a while you'll get it down.

Make sure that you try to include everyone in the RP. Most people like to ignore others that are trying to speak to them or interact with them. Remember, if it's fun for you to be involved, then it's the same for them. Try to respond to whoever is speaking or interacting with you.

Another big problem is God-moding and Flaming.

God-moding is simply...acting like a god. Your character goes around and when he fights, he never gets hurt. No person, whether vampire or cyborg, magical or not, cannot defeat a thousand person army and not have a scratch on them. Usually if you start god-moding you will get kicked out of the RP and possibly the guild ((after a few offenses)).

Flaming is almost like God-moding. Flaming is when your character goes and kills everything, including other characters. This is a big no no. You wouldn't like if they said your character died, and so they don't like it when theirs does. Usually this rule has an exception. If the user gives permission to kill his character, then this is allowed. So these are the basics to roleplaying! If you have other questions, you can leave them in the Questions sticky and someone can get to answering them as soon as possible!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:08 am
hiya! sri to bother you again. just wanna say about whispering. it goes like this

"pssst, did you see that hat? did he pull it out of a dumpster or something?"

italics WITH quotation marks = whispering. ^^ hope i'm helpful not annoying k bye heart  

imbutercupwheresmywestley

Alien Warlord

16,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Millionaire 200
>^Beginners^<

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items