Welcome to Gaia! ::

Geocaching Guild

Back to Guilds

A high tech treasure hunting game using handheld GPS units. 

Tags: geocaching, hiking, camping, treasure, adventure 

Reply Geocaching Guild
Virtual Caches

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Virtual Caching
  Yes
  No
  If it's near
View Results

7raindrops

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:46 pm
Have you done them?

Did you like doing this even though there isn't an actual 'thing' to find?

What have you had to do for these?

I just got back from Disney world where there are only virual caches because of the whole no cache on private property thing but it was fun because I got to try to find the spots for the pictures. Also I really loved finding a peice of the Berlin Wall.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:30 am
Virtual caches are great. I wish they allow more to be set. I've visited a few but my two most memorable were in Japan. One was at the top of the tallest mountain in Japan (Mt Fuji of course) and the other was a the "lowest" mountain in Japan (Tenppozan). The latter we had to walk downhill to get to the summit. sweatdrop

GC7AA7 - visited July 28, 2006 - goal: count rest stations and email photo at the summit
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=442c2407-66a8-4f61-b983-e4f9d631aa11

GCHJCN - visited July 27, 2009 - goal: take pic of stone triangulation marker at "summit"
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8a82eadd-8525-49b9-b9bd-d3d45bae0bbc  

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100

7raindrops

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:21 pm
I think that they are interesting alternatives though I would rather a cache with an actual item to find.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:26 pm
True but some places are impossible to hide a physical cache in, such as the top of Mt Fuji which is just bare rock and a couple buildings (shrine, mini post office and cafe). Add to that the fact that it is a minimum of a six hour climb to the top for a strong person (not counting drive time to the starting point).

As for the Tenppozan cache (and similar locations) the Japanese are notorious for cleaning up their neighborhood parks and throwing away anything that doesn't belong including cache containers. I had one a a park near my in-laws' house in Itami and it didn't last a month before it disappeared due to muggles.

Aside from forest covered mountains the only way for an urban cache to survive is by using a magnetic key case hidden under a stairway or behind a vending machine.  

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100

7raindrops

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:36 am
Understandable  
Geocaching Guild

Manage Your Items