Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Brawl Tier List Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kunx the Mighty
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:34 pm
S: Meta Knight
A: Snake, Diddy Kong, Falco, Ice Climbers, Marth, Wario
B: King Dedede, Pikachu, Olimar, Lucario, Mr. Game & Watch
C: Pit, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Kirby, R.O.B.
D: Donkey Kong, Peach, Fox, Luigi, Wolf
E: Sheik, Pokémon Trainer, Sonic, Ness, Bowser
F: Lucas, Ike, Yoshi, Mario, Falcon, Samus, Jigglypuff
G: Zelda, Link, Ganondorf

LOL TP tier.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:53 pm
lol at the Meta Knight tier. Even Fox wasn't that good in Melee.

But yeah, that looks about right (even though I haven't touched brawl in a long time). Strangely, 3 of the C tier characters are some of my favorites.  

darkslasherX
Crew

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:09 pm
Pikachu and Rob both fell. xp  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:17 pm
Oh well, anything C and above is still useful in tournaments. The tiers are a lot closer in Brawl than they were in Melee (not counting Meta Knight... he kicks too much a** to count). And if you play enough with any character, you can still beat any other character. You'll just have to put in an extra 123432883 hours of practice to get that good if you're playing with lol Link.  

darkslasherX
Crew

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:26 pm
darkslasherX
And if you play enough with any character, you can still beat any other character.

Sorry, that's simply not true.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:01 am
nitnit
darkslasherX
And if you play enough with any character, you can still beat any other character.

Sorry, that's simply not true.

Ganon v MK is one sided fight as Ganon is gimped by everyone.  

Kunx the Mighty
Crew

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:46 pm
It's possible. I never said that the opponent had to have any skill.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:25 pm
darkslasherX
It's possible. I never said that the opponent had to have any skill.

Oh. Alright. I was afraid you were suggesting that it would be possible for a ganondorf to beat a skilled ice climbers or olimar. Or that any non top tier character would have a chance against Mewtwo King's Metaknight, or Ally's Snake.  

nitnit
Captain

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:39 pm
It's true that some characters are just plain gimped (until someone finds a glitch that makes them uber and starts abusing it, but discounting that) to the point that they really don't stand up competitively. Luckily, there aren't many of them. I was just saying it's the player's choice if they want to play one of those characters. Of course, someone who wanted to main Ganondorf would have to expect to lose a lot more than someone who plays Falco, or even Ike, in a setting that's even somewhat competitive. It's like trying to use Dunsparce in OU battles in Pokemon... you'll lose a lot more often than someone using something more useful, but there's the occasional time when it shines (but usually only because of an opponent's mistakes).

I think what I'm trying to say is tiers make a difference, but not as much as skill. Tiers are also subject to change over time (and they already have seen a lot of change).  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:35 pm
Sorry, but you're simply wrong again, lol. If you go to any large tournament with competitive players, you're going to need a C or higher character win, period. Even with that, you're going to have an insane uphill battle unless you use an A character. Even with an A character it's still a significant uphill battle against Metaknights.

Sources:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226315

and practically living with one of the former best Dedede/best over brawl players, and also living near a smashboards moderator and backroom member.

And the tournament rankings that almost always show metaknight and snake winning, with the occasional other high tier character.

(Keep in mind I'm talking about playing with the best of the best, not playing at some local college tournament, lol)  

nitnit
Captain

Kunx the Mighty
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:09 pm
MK only has 4 killing moves, but gimps the s**t out of people.

Snake has everything though and everything BUT down throw kills, even box kills. The trade off is he sucks in the air.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:59 pm
poor ike... he fell some more. but lucario gained a spot! too bad none of the characters i like are higher than c tier =(.

lulz at zelda too btw. -9 XD  

ravemaster47

NatashaHarumi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:59 am
aww it's so unfair, I really didn't even play brawl that much because they made link one of the worst =/  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:12 am
nitnit
If you go to any large tournament with competitive players, you're going to need a C or higher character win, period. Even with that, you're going to have an insane uphill battle unless you use an A character. Even with an A character it's still a significant uphill battle against Metaknights.
I think you're inferring things I never said. I never said anything below C wasn't gimped. I just said you'd have to have a taste for never winning if you wanted to play them. If you did win with a low-tier character, it'd be because of an opponent's error rather than your own skill.

I may have said skill > tiers, but I never said tiers don't matter or only make a tiny difference. Game designers screw up, or intentionally unbalance things, and that's why tiers exist. To assume game designers are so perfect at achieving balance that tiers don't or can't exist is foolish, at least. I just think the game designers did a better job of balancing things in Brawl than Melee (except Meta Knight... who knows what they were thinking with him).  

darkslasherX
Crew

Kunx the Mighty
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:22 am
I don't think that Sakurai cared about balancing the game, which is why there is tripping and that ghost in YI, anyway you have Brawl+ which makes Brawl more like a fighter and nerfs MK and Snake and gives some buffs to everyone else but Snake is more OP. Balanced Brawl is just that, everyone is just as good as everyone else with little changes to the game, but Ganon still sucks. Brawl - is the best version though as Falco has 4 jumps because he's a bird yo.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff