Question from an utter newbie.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lia Strife

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:18 pm
Okay, so.

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Don't really know what my shire is or what-have-you, so that would be my first question. XD Adding to this, I'd kind of like to know what sorts of things go on in remotely my area. ^^'

Secondly, what is the minimum age for joining the SCA, and how much does it cost? ^^'

Thirdly, do you find that most of the people in the SCA are generally nice and uncreepy? (I know, that's a loaded question. I apologize most sincerely, but I'm sixteen and I find that question important. ^^')

Fourthly, how do you get trained in all that fighting goodness, and how do you get ranks and things?

Fifthly, are there regulations for choosing a persona? I'd like dearly to be Ascelin de Perceval, but a) it was the name (almost, his was actually Ascelin Goel `Lupus' de Perceval) of one of my ancestors, and b) it's a man's name! XD

Thanks kindly to anyone who takes the time to respond. ^^'  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:55 pm
Hi, Lia!

Well, you've got a lot of questions, so I hope I can cover them all!

Living in Calgary, Alberta, you live in the Barony of Montengarde, Principality of Avacal, Kingdom of An Tir. I live in An Tir as well, though I'm from Lions Gate (mundanely Vancouver, BC). As far as I know it's a fairly active area, though as I don't live there I don't know for sure. I'll tell you this, though-being a barony, there's going to be plenty of people around and there is a minimum number of events Montengarde must hold each year. The number escapes me at the moment, but there is a minimum at any rate. lol. To find out more specifically about events and such in your area, the website for the barony is www.montengarde.org .

There is no minimum age to join the SCA, however before you can attend events alone you must be of the age of majority (that's 18 in Alberta, right? I know it's 19 in BC). If your parents aren't interested in the SCA, you can find an adult that is willing to stand as your guardian at an event. Your parents will sign your minor waivers and list that person as your guardian for the course of the event. You don't need to be a member of the SCA to go to events or practices, and the cost of each event varies from event to event. Should you decide that you would like to become an SCA member, the cost per year is $25 American.

The SCA, like all places, has its share of really nice and not so nice people. Overall, though, I've found my experience to be far more positive than negative. I joined the SCA when I was 13, so I definetly understand your concerns there. I was extremely shy when I joined and just about anything anyone said to me made me nervous. However, the thing to keep in mind is that while many SCA-ers are quite flirtatious, for the most part no harm is meant at all by it. (And if anyone makes you feel uncomfortable and refuses to stop, you can usually tell a Knight or other well-known person and they'll kick the butt of the guilty party. It's frowned upon.)

You get trained in fighting by going to practice. You get ranks and things in fighting by getting good. lol. Which sort of fighting were you interested in? We practice armoured and rapier combat, and they are generally separate practices. You can find the information about your barony's practices on the website.

There aren't generally regulations for choosing a persona, unless you hope to register it. If you hope to register your name and device, it's pretty tough work. I still haven't gotten around to getting mine registered yet. haha. However, this is the Society for Creative Anachronisms, and as such, people are usually quite content if you even make an attempt. Get as historically accurate as you like-the sky's the limit and how high you want to go is up to you. (Oy, this is getting corny.)

Well, I think I've covered everything, but should you like to ask any more questions or anything, feel free to leave a message here or PM me anytime. I usually check gaia every day, so I'll get it shortly enough. smile  

Arithrel
Crew

Courtesan Brigitte

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:43 am
Lia Strife
Okay, so.

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Don't really know what my shire is or what-have-you, so that would be my first question. XD Adding to this, I'd kind of like to know what sorts of things go on in remotely my area. ^^'

Go to www.sca.org--there's a newbie "your local group" finder.

Quote:
Secondly, what is the minimum age for joining the SCA, and how much does it cost? ^^'

There's no minimum age, but you'll not be able to do some things until you're of the age of majority in your country. In America that means no heavies without a parent, and other such safety-driven concerns. You would be wise to latch onto an adult mentor who can look after you. I joined when I was 15, and I have quite a family within the SCA. Membership costs vary depending on the bells and whistles, but the basic package is $35 (American)

Quote:
Thirdly, do you find that most of the people in the SCA are generally nice and uncreepy? (I know, that's a loaded question. I apologize most sincerely, but I'm sixteen and I find that question important. ^^')

People are people wherever you go. I won't say that problems haven't arisen. At some of the larger events, girls have been raped. Once upon a time this didn't happen in the SCA, but even now it happens far less than in the mundane world. Most of the people are welcoming and more or less respectful, so just take care not to walk alone at night and you'll be alright.

Quote:
Fourthly, how do you get trained in all that fighting goodness, and how do you get ranks and things?

Any card-carrying member is supposed to be a gentle (lord or lady). This is automatic with membership.
Those who have won what is called an Award of Arms (AoA) are also called Lord or Lady, but they carry the title officially. A holder of this title is called "Lord/Lady _______"
A similar award makes them "The Honorable Lord/Lady" (abbreviated THL) Both are for service to the SCA or its people.
The next rank is Baron or Baroness. There are two ways to become Baron/Baroness. You can either govern a barony (appointed by your predecessor) or be awarded court barony by your betters. All these people are called "Your Excellency."
Should you become king or queen, which is achieved via combat, you become "Your Majesty"--if you become prince or princess, which means you are either waiting for your corronation or you govern a principality, you are "Your Highness."
After you've been prince or princess of a principality, you would become a vicount or vicountess, and be called "Your Excellency."
Those who have been king or queen once are also called "Your Excellency," but they are Count and Contessa.
Those skilled or charming enough to rule a kingdom twice become Duke and Duchess, called "Your Grace."
If a man or woman is a very chivalrous person, and a very skilled fighter, he or she may be invited to join the Order of Chivalry. At this point he or she may choose to become a knight (called "Sir" and marked with a white belt), or a master-at-arms (called "master" or "mistress" and wearing a baldric). They are equal in rank.
Also equal in rank to them are a number of other orders, including Pelicans. They are also called "master" or "mistress" and are the recognized work-a-holics of the SCA. They deserve at least as much respect as members of the Order of Chivalry. They make the SCA run.
There are many other titles you're like to run into, but these are the ones you'll see most often, and a newbie understanding these will quite impress everyone.

As for training, if you find where your local group meets to practice (available on their website), just show up and ask questions. If you prove yourself to be eager and dedicated someone will train you. I am currently in training under a Vicountess and a Master at Arms, who are also both Pelicans. Her Excellency is helping me build armor and Master Korwyn is helping with my training, all in exchange for helping with their two-year-old. You don't have to exchange services or goods for money among us. We know how to trade.

Quote:
Fifthly, are there regulations for choosing a persona? I'd like dearly to be Ascelin de Perceval, but a) it was the name (almost, his was actually Ascelin Goel `Lupus' de Perceval) of one of my ancestors, and b) it's a man's name! XD

It is acceptable to have a name not of your gender, although you will be assumed to be a man in-society. Any titles you will recieve are likely to be masculine. If you don't mind, go for it. Some historical persons are protected from having their names used by SCAdians. You cannot claim the name of any major historical person. However, if your ancestor was relatively unknown you can probably get away with it. www.sca.org has all the regulations, although they're sort of difficult to understand.

Yours in Service,

Fallon Caoimhe Ingen a'Bhaird  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:18 am
The people above seemed to have answered your questions very well! I would like to add a bit about the creepy vs uncreepy question.

As was mentioned, many people in the SCA are viciously flirtatious. I enjoy this and find it a lot of fun, since I am very flirtatious as well. However, many people are really uncomfortable about this. Most guys will stop if they find it bothering you, and most will behave themselves around minors. Let them know your age, and they may back off. If they still don't, talk to someone in the SCA such as the leaders of your area, people in that individual's group (ie if he is a fighter, talk to the other fighters), or some other trusted person with leverage in your area. You don't have to deal with the flirting if you dont like it! I had a friend that kept getting harassed by a guy who just wouldn't get the hint. He eventually figured it out after she burst out at him. Make your intentions clear, but try not to burn bridges in the meantime. Along with flirting, the SCA is also notorious for gossip.

I hope that's clear! It's getting late here...

YIS,
Lady Idonea of Nordskogen  

Mistress_Pooky

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:52 pm
wow, this answered alot of questions I've had too.... also, you may find this a dumb question but what is p(P?)ennsic? I've heard about it quite abit but I have no clue as to what ti is...  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:24 pm
Kaena Wraithson
wow, this answered alot of questions I've had too.... also, you may find this a dumb question but what is p(P?)ennsic? I've heard about it quite abit but I have no clue as to what ti is...

Ah, Pennsic. Pennsic is a two week long war held in Pennsylvania (I think...) every year in August. It's huge and attended by people from all over the knowne worlde. It's one of my SCA dreams to make it there one year, however, I haven't yet. Too far away.  

Arithrel
Crew

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:28 pm
yeah, thats too far for em too, i unfortunatly live in the coastal region of Ansteorra...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:37 pm
Arithrel
Kaena Wraithson
wow, this answered a lot of questions I've had too.... also, you may find this a dumb question but what is p(P?)ennsic? I've heard about it quite a bit but I have no clue as to what it is...

Ah, Pennsic. Pennsic is a two week long war held in Pennsylvania (I think...) every year in August. It's huge and attended by people from all over the Known Worlde.

Kaena, the only dumb question is one that is unasked. wink

Pennsic is, as Arithrel said, held during the first/middle two weeks of August at Cooper's Lake, which is in the Kingdom of Æthelmearc (mundanely, it's near Pittsburgh, PA, where I live cool ).

Newcomer's Point at the official Pennsic site is a good page to visit for more info. 3nodding

Why does it always add a slash before apostrophes in URLs? ::wrinkles her nose in annoyance::

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Kaena Wraithson

Pennsic is the largest medieval re-enactment event in the world. Last year we had a little over 13,000 people there. During War Week it is the fourth largest town in the county in Pennsylvania where it's held. It's two wonderful weeks of living in the Middle Ages.

There's some great pictures from past Pennsic's at http://www.pennsic.net/

And some terrific pictures of Pennsic night scenes at http://my.net-link.net/~rowan/sca/owlgal/web-content/index.html

Truly there is nothing like it. Only one more month and I'll be there!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:46 pm
I was going to go to Pennsic but we had to do something else... DARN IT!

I will go next year though. I live about three to four hours away from it.

````

They built a "Medieval Majesty," fair near Linden PA... it is a on the small side, and they were testing out my area for it. I will probably will jion this troupe-- I know this isn't the same thing as Pennsic but I thought I should tell people.

http://www.medievalmajesty.com/default-lo.html  

Sage~of~Water

850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100

Runta

Friendly Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:30 pm
Hey? Are we still fighting over who gets Pittsburg? Or has that gone by the wayside?  
Newcomers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games