Reply Chatterbox/Humor
I had a thought. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Variola Major

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:42 pm
What is up with all these fantasy characters wearing armour that looks like this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of armour? I mean, what's the point of studded leather that leaves your abdomen uncovered? That's a large part of the body with lots of vital organs being left totally unprotected.

And look at this one:

Her bloody HEART is completely exposed to enemy attack.

So, yea. Let's discuss what's up with all this stupid skimpy fantasy armour that doesn't even protect basic vital areas.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:44 pm
Also, this pic is win:

User Image  

Variola Major

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:18 pm
Simple reason- guys design these video games, and women in video games are usually made to be hot.

And the chick in the poster looks like a dude. Creepy......

EDIT: You took this from the thread in the VGD, didn't you?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:21 pm
Requiem in Mortis
EDIT: You took this from the thread in the VGD, didn't you?
No, I didn't. Exotic Duncan is my mule, and I made this thread before I made the VGD one.  

Variola Major

Variola Major

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:23 pm
Requiem in Mortis
Simple reason- guys design these video games, and women in video games are usually made to be hot.

And the chick in the poster looks like a dude. Creepy......
Really? I thought she looked like a girl.

I'm a guy, and I just think it's stupid. From the VGD thread responses, I guess I'm simply a minority.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:25 pm
Also, what's with all the back mounted quivers in fantasy? Any archer worth his/her salt knows that quivers should be worn on the hip, not back, as a hip mounted quiver is much easier to reach into to get another arrow or bolt. You practically have to be double joined to draw from a quiver on your back, especially if you have a longbow or are on horseback. Hell, look at artwork of medieval European archers. Most of them are wearing their quivers on the hip. Same with art of Asian or Native American archers.

EDIT:

He's wearing a quiver as it was meant to be worn, and doesn't look any worse than he would with it on his back.  

Variola Major

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:09 pm
There really is a reason for the armor to be styled that way. It is meant to be a subtle offensive weapon designed to nullify most of the training given to a common soldier. Case in point: KILL! KILL! KILL! *stop* booooooooooobs...*drool*

And yeah, that one really looks like a guy.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:04 am
Variola Major
Also, what's with all the back mounted quivers in fantasy? Any archer worth his/her salt knows that quivers should be worn on the hip, not back, as a hip mounted quiver is much easier to reach into to get another arrow or bolt. You practically have to be double joined to draw from a quiver on your back, especially if you have a longbow or are on horseback. Hell, look at artwork of medieval European archers. Most of them are wearing their quivers on the hip. Same with art of Asian or Native American archers.

EDIT:

He's wearing a quiver as it was meant to be worn, and doesn't look any worse than he would with it on his back.
Sit down with a hip quiver and then stand up quickly. It's magically empty. It also bangs around on your leg as you move, and likes to flip over and dump out.

Did archery for years. Hooked a quiver to the back of my shirt collar once, for shits and giggles. It was usable. A quiver MADE to go on your back probably would have been pretty easy to use. I mean, hell, the Scots carried CLAYMORES on their backs.

As to the OP, think of why clothing was invented, then think of what popular women's clothing looks like today. Same reason.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:48 am
Fresnel
Variola Major

EDIT:

Sit down with a hip quiver and then stand up quickly. It's magically empty. It also bangs around on your leg as you move, and likes to flip over and dump out.

Did archery for years. Hooked a quiver to the back of my shirt collar once, for shits and giggles. It was usable. A quiver MADE to go on your back probably would have been pretty easy to use. I mean, hell, the Scots carried CLAYMORES on their backs.

As to the OP, think of why clothing was invented, then think of what popular women's clothing looks like today. Same reason.
I know by Claymore you meant sword, but I mentally imagined groundskeeper willie running around in a kilt with a mine on his back. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:12 am
Fresnel
Variola Major

EDIT:

I've never had those problems with hip quivers (Well, it bangs the leg a bit, but it's tolerable), and it takes me forever to draw from back ones. I REALLY hate back quivers. That, combined with the fact that nearly every archer who saw real life combat hip mounted their quiver, leads me to dispense the back mounted quiver as totally worthless.  

Variola Major

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:11 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Variola Major

EDIT:

I know by Claymore you meant sword, but I mentally imagined groundskeeper willie running around in a kilt with a mine on his back. xd
"Looks like they're gonna hafta glue ya back togetha- IN HELL!"  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:29 am
Waist-mounted quivers would be a pain in the a** while running.

And the "chick" in realistic armor looks like a man.

In video games, you might not be able to tell a man from a woman with the armor. So you make it essentially a metal bikini and all of a sudden you've got a woman.

Same reason no one knew Samus was a woman until the end of the first Metroid game when she took her suit off.

User Image  

ArmasTermin

Variola Major

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:05 am
ArmasTermin
Depends on how it's mounted. Do it right, and it's no worse than a hip mounted sword or ax.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:51 am
User Image  

Man of the Demoneye

war_junky 91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:09 pm
Variola Major
ArmasTermin
Depends on how it's mounted. Do it right, and it's no worse than a hip mounted sword or ax.

No. Actually it would be quite worse. Ever run with a bucket of water? The end of the quiver can not be tied to the leg because it would hamper mobility, but the end result is the quiver can swing. So if you are running and that quiver decideds to swing in front of your knee on a step its going to be tilted backwards and you lose your arrows. Also in comparison a sheath is tight fitted to a sword or axe and not loose like arrows and you are only controlling one item versus dozen(s).

Also i prefer thigh mounted quivers for crossbow and back quivers for any type of longbow. My personal favorites with the crossbow are ones that have a tight fitting space for each bolt. I don't like hip mounted quivers because of the fact i have to lower my bow completely to go over my arm to reach the arrows or if i go under i have to flip the arrow up once i remove it. With back quiver its just tilt yourself forward a tad, grab, pull up, flip over shoulder and slam it home into position. Though for hunting i use a compound bow with a mounted row of clips to hold the arrows just so i'm not rattling around a bunch of metal rods.  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff