Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Wanna hear something really surprising?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Variola Major

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:46 pm
I was reading a book earlier today, and it brought light to something very surprising. In 2002, 1% of all US military personnel were Native American. In the same year, .1% of all American civilians were Native American. I see no reason to believe the statistics have changed much in 8 years. So, the military has a percentage of Native Americans ten times higher than the nation as a whole. No other ethnic group has that large of a difference in military and civilian numbers. The highest difference between military and civilian percentages for any ethnic group other than Native Americans (in 2002) is an 8% difference for African Americans, with 20% of military personnel being black and 12% of civilians being black. This does not come anywhere near the 1000% difference between military and civilian populations for Native Americans. Simply put, Native Americans give a much higher percentage of their population to the military than any other ethnic group in America. Considering the large number of atrocities the US government has committed against the Native Americans in the past, the fact that a larger percentage of Native Americans join the military than any other ethnic group in this country is, to say the least, shocking. Also, this makes me love Native Americans even more than I used to.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 pm
Also, I feel it appropriate to mention that one of the marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima, Ira Hayes, was a full blooded Native American. He belonged to the Pima tribe.  

Variola Major

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:57 pm
Oorah  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:00 am
Variola Major
Also, I feel it appropriate to mention that one of the marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima, Ira Hayes, was a full blooded Native American. He belonged to the Pima tribe.
Native Arizonan. We've got something named after him... Hayes Peak or something like that. IIRC, he was the only one who made it back from that alive.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Variola Major

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:17 am
Fresnel
Variola Major
Native Arizonan. We've got something named after him... Hayes Peak or something like that. IIRC, he was the only one who made it back from that alive.
Not that he lived long afterwards.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:38 am
Interesting. *sips tea*  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff