Welcome to Gaia! ::

Crime & Investigation Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those interested in crime, criminology and forensic science. 

Tags: murder, criminal, forensics, serial killers, crime 

Reply Real Crime And Justice Discussion
Discussion Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Evan_or_L
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:35 pm
Let's say hypothetically, we want to discuss different aspects of criminal behavior, serial killing, serial offenses, mental disorders, detective shows, police work, forensics, and anything I missed. This place is for that desire to propose hypothetical theories.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:05 am
Let's start discussions out with a BANG. The mother of all criminal disgussions. I want to know your opinions on Capital punishment. Yes, the death penalty. Many are for it and many are against it. I don't care about politics really, but this is part of my interests. It doesn't matter if you're democrat, republican, religious person, or aetheist, all opinions are important.  

Evan_or_L
Captain

DarkChevalierAngel
Vice Captain

Versatile Businesswoman

2,850 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:07 am
I say it depends on the situation. Give me a scenario and I can answer.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:19 am
I'm just looking for a general opinion. Some people would say that the repeat offenders (rapists, killers, arsonists) deserve it, but what about embezzlement of charity organizations, white collar crime. What about drug dealers and recidivized criminals. Most criminals aren't evil. They are just people who make mistakes. I want to hear your stance on multiple scenarios. Perhaps those in:

Self defensive murder.
Recidivized crime
White collar crime
accidental homicide
etc.

Statistics actually disprove the death penalty. It's very expensive and it doesn't reduce crime (According to numbers.) Me personally, I think it's a neccessary evil for Killers, rapists, arsonists, and repeat hit terrorists. This is assuming that the courts always got it right.  

Evan_or_L
Captain

DarkChevalierAngel
Vice Captain

Versatile Businesswoman

2,850 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:31 am
Self defensive murder: No, It was in self defense, and the intended result was most likely not murder
Recidivized crime: Hmm, perhaps.
White collar crime: I say no.
accidental homicide:No. It was accedental for cripes' sake!

I say serial killers need to die. NOt rapists. Just put them in an asylum. Rape, to me, is a psycalogical proble.m  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:28 pm
Here is an exerpt from a paper I'm writing for English.

The main aspects of these fantasies are dominance, manipulation, and control (Douglas). May it also be stated that “Parallels between the ways that profilers analyze the behavior of the rapist and the killer are apparent” (Zonderman). The reason why this is important is that is supports the idea that they operate in promiscuous ways as part of that fantasy. “Sexual undertones in the murder have been noted by many researchers” (Anderson).

Serial killers and rapists operate on the same mechanical principle. The only difference is that all killers are antisocial personality while rapists are only sometimes anti social. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just playing devil's advocate.  

Evan_or_L
Captain

Everlasting Sasori

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:45 pm
Ahh, I had this same question for my English class. It's a tough call, but all of us are called on to judge the actions of others and must put them to justice!

Personally, I think any repeat criminal should recieve the capital punishment. If you do it once, they should go to jail for time and hopefully they're straightened out. If they do it again and again, then they have a serious problem and are a danger to society and the peace and should be put to justice.

Also, if they massacred a number of people, then they should either be sent back to their own country (if foreign) for their country to deal with it (we don't want trouble) or the capital punishment.

Laws are meant to perserve the peace, am I right? How can it be peaceful if these people are running loose and not put to justice?

Anyway, that's my personal opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:16 pm
That's an interesting point. Both of you. ^^

I kinda already made my point about repeat offenders like serial killers and arsonists. I think rapists should get punished. Violence is a growing thing. Ted bundy said it "happened ... Gradually" (dobson). The thing is, there's a progression of crime. Voyeurism, thievery, rape, murder, serial murder, mass murder, etc. The longer you keep on this path, the harder it is to go back. It usually goes in this order but all killers have a history of past offenses. Once they go a certain point they become a threat like unioko said. Like Darkchevalierangel, I agree that they require psychological analysis.  

Evan_or_L
Captain

Everlasting Sasori

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:25 pm
Yep.
That is interesting too, it's true that there is starting to become more and more crime throughout the world. It would be harder for things to go back to the way they were.
Ehh, what a thought...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:26 pm
Well, now that the first argument is over, let's have another.

We have jail, therapy, death, and community service. What is the best way to deter crime? Or if that is too much, what is a new or better way to stop the bad guys?  

Evan_or_L
Captain

Everlasting Sasori

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:04 pm
I guess this one also depends on how bad the criminals are.
Jail is should be for 1st/2nd time offenders. (Although, there are different jails for different types of criminals, right?)
Therapy should be for the people who need help and hopefully they get better.
Death should be for those who repeat crimes and are a threat to society.

A better way to stop crime is to make jails and punishments more serious. Jail shouldn't be a place where criminals get considerably good food, and television. It should be a place that no one ever wants to go.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:11 pm
That is true for sure. But there is the ammendments which make it so there are no cruel and unusual punishments. *8th ammendment* Personally, I believe that there should be a special type of recidivism therapy, but I will reveal more of that after Others share their opinion.  

Evan_or_L
Captain

Everlasting Sasori

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:25 pm
Yep, that's what I was going to mention, that a lot of people would disagree with it, but I forgot what it was called. Ammendments, forgot about those...
Speaking of which, aren't states starting to discontinue the capital punishment? I know my state did.

Your ideas are always interesting, so I'm interested in hearing. I wait until more people give their opinions though.
X3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:52 pm
Thank you biggrin . This is why I made different sections for the guild. Some people like Rp's, some people want to match wits, some people want to show opinions and some like to share ideas.  

Evan_or_L
Captain

DarkChevalierAngel
Vice Captain

Versatile Businesswoman

2,850 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:05 pm
I've been out of this loop lately. It is interesting to read your different veiws on the subject,  
Real Crime And Justice Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff