Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Altar cleaning

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:45 pm
I'm cleaning out my altar tonight.^_^ Not doing a very thorough job, I'm afraid- usually an altar cleaning session will last all day long- but I'm pressed for time at the moment so I'm doing a quick job. I've got a friend coming over to visit for the next week or so, and nothing really presses the cleaning issue like a guest.^_^' Even though my altar is back in the bedroom, and he probably won't actually see it, it just seems that the entire home feels better when it's had a good cleaning. I have a whisk that I use to sweep it off, of course, and I do that whenever I see that it needs it (and every time that I observe ritual), but there's nothing quite like stripping it down to the cloth and washing or wiping down every last part of it. heart

Normally, I'd use hydrolized frankincense to wash the faces of my working icons, wipe down the inside of the naos, and sometimes also to clean votive images and amulets as well. One of the other priest candidates from the seminary I used to attend gave the frankincense water to me as a gift, and it's been really wonderful! Today, I'm mostly just cleaning the altar cloth and I'll probably give things as much of a dusting as I can manage on the way. I'm using the washing machine to clean the altar cloth, but I've added blessed water and natron to the soap, so it should be a good physical and spiritual cleansing.

What sorts of cleansings do you do, how often, and how long does it take? Are there other sorts of spiritual cleansings which are important to you? Do you tie them in to certain times of the year, or do them at will?^_^

I expect my activity level to decrease over the next few days, so I'll wish everyone a Happy January now- whether or not you see it as truly being the New Year! *hugs everyone* Take care, and I'll visit as much as I can in the meanwhile!  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:56 pm
WebenBanu
What sorts of cleansings do you do, how often, and how long does it take? Are there other sorts of spiritual cleansings which are important to you? Do you tie them in to certain times of the year, or do them at will?^_^

I always clense my ritual area before I start working, which typically includes sweeping the area while also focusing on clearing away any built up energy/emotions. My altar is in my bedroom, so clearly there's quite a bit of figurative gunk that centers around it. If I have time, then I'll also mop. I used to take my entire altar down once a month and wash, dust, wipe and rearrange everything, but I've gotten away from it. I must make a note of starting that back up again...

Being a college student, I always do a major clense when I move into a new place, and when I move out. I start off by sweeping/moping and focusing on driving out negative energy. I use lemon and citrus scented cleaners, or just some lemon extract in water to give it an extra boost. I also carry a dish of slat around, typically leaving it out to sit for a while to absorb residual energy from previous occupants. These cleanings usually are in the fall, and in the early spring. Beyond that, any time I just feel stressed for no particular reason, I'll clense my room at the very least.

One of my favorite tricks in a cleansing shower/bath. I used to do this only before ritual, but I've taken to doing it now any time I need to prepare for anything important. I follow through all of the regular steps of washing up, combined with visualization, and sometimes teh added treat of bath oils, bubble bath, or a nice body scrub with a calming scent. Man oh man, when you're headed out for a night on the town and have to dress to impress, I fully recomend this! I've tried it twice now, and I positively glowed, taking some of the best pictures of my life!

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Naomi Tinuveil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:13 pm
I have 3 altars. 1 smaller/average size one in my closet next to my bed. Perfect for divination, meditation, and smaller spellcraft. I have 1 larger working alter for bigger spellcraft and working with my potions and rememdies and herbs. and I have 1 outdoor altar hidden back behind the watergate which noone seems to disturb. For which I use for any and all when I get the chance to. Or when I need a bit more power. I clean all 3 on a regular basis; always before spellwork and whenever I feel the energy around it' area needs a pick me up, a boost, or simply a clean slate on which to work.

~Asha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:11 pm
Being the messy person that I am, I tend not to clean very often. That includes my altar (I'll be cleaning it soon though, my sister spilled some ash on the cloth when quizing me on random things about paganism). I tend not to use it to often though, so it's not that much of a tragedy.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:11 am
I usually take down my altar about once a month to clean and rearrange it. Though I've never really washed my altar cloth (I'm afraid it might fall apart), I do give it a good shake to get the dirt off it. Then I cleanse the items on my altar, usually with visualization and cleansing by the elements. However, this altar is more of just a "display" one, basically used during meditation or praying. I usually take a small table from my closet and transfer items from the display altar to that altar whenever I do ritual or spellwork. That one never really needs to be cleaned.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:19 pm
I should really give mine a good cleaning soon. I had a friend stay in my room (which is where the altar is) over the Christmas break. The whole room really needs a good cleansing, but my altar has been particularly neglected as of late. Maybe tomorrow I'll take the new altar cloth I made down to be cleaned, then set everything up. 3nodding  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces