Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Guess why my parents are making me go to therapy? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

violentraine

IRL Bloodsucker

7,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:56 pm
This mystery is already...

They've seen my books, and my altar. And heard my conversations with my friend who is friends with spirits..

They think I am DELUSIONAL. WTF?

I already told them that I am fine and working just fine.

But they brush me off like I'm insane and retarded.

I am very angry with the fact that my therapist also agrees with them.

People are very ignorant..

... On the tip of my tongue.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:33 pm
What exactly did they determine to be delusional about your practices?

I think there's possibly more going on than being neo-Pagan. I mean if they say that you were delusional because of your religion then every religious person had to be delusional as well. A therapist worth their salt would have to have more of a reason than some books on paganism and who one associates with.

I'm familiar with going through much of a similar situation myself so I kinda get where you are coming from.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:36 am
I dunno. I'm not sure I trust a few therapists nowadays. It's always possible that they're very conservative of mind and not up with the play in regards to alternative religions. If it was up to you I'd say seek another opinion.

Although, it's not like you'd know it if you were delusional. But if the therapist is making you really distressed they're not doing their job very well.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:12 am
I agree with Sanguina. A therapist doesn't come to a conclusion based on someone's opinion. It should take sessions, maybe three or four, before they even begin to make a decision, and that requires research into just about everything that you tell them.

Do some research on therapists in your area that work under your insurance. Heck, I'd even do some research on Paganism (being sure that the sources are acceptable and legitimate. Bringing in a Wiki print out is not info from a valid source) and bring in information for them to look over.

Believe me, I've been there too. It took two sessions at least to convince the woman I wasn't worshiping Satan, but even then she still thought I was nuts, so I left her.  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

solemnsockmonkey

5,750 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:19 am
If you can't find a copy, then ask your therapist to fork over $3-4 bucks for a copy of Scott Cunningham's guide, The Truth about Witchcraft Today. It's a little dated, probably available in pdf form for free online, certainly by torrent. But it is a good place to start.

Another author, Kerr Cuhulain -- the Wiccan ex-cop -- has also written a guide for cops and therapists on this very topic, since there is so much disinformation out there, esp. as regards teenagers. It's called The Law Enforcement Guide to Wicca but is also useful to other professionals.

As for delusions, come on. ALL religions are delusional! Let's think about this: Major holiday celebrating the fact that some guy came back from the dead and ascended into heaven and when you eat crackers you're eating his body and wine is his blood. So we celebrate this most sacred of our holidays by performing pagan rituals that are technically satanic.

Riiiiiiiight ... it's the faith and the way you conduct your life that matters!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:54 pm
Exactly how do they think they're supposed to fix your faith? If you can't get out of going, I'd just go and sit there. I'd sit there and not say a single word. Think up something silly, like a random poem or play a word game with yourself.

Though, if they're Christian, shouldn't they already know about the whole "judge not lest ye be judged" thing?  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:35 am
Am I the only one here who thinks therapy is awesome? I mean you get to b***h and moan as much as you like to someone who has to listen to you and can't tell anyone what you said. xd
I say live it up and have a good old whinge about anything you want. You don't have to talk about your religious beliefs if you don't want to you can talk about school or friends or whatever instead. xp  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:42 am
I think a lot of people could benefit from a little therapy. I'm about to start a course myself. But there is absolutely no point going to therapy unless you want to be there.
So sounds like your adventures with therapy are pretty moot. If you don't want to be there there's no way the therapist can help. Especially, if that therapist isn't even help you.

If your parents continue to push you then tell the therapist that you do not feel you will benefit from the sessions and that you are being forced to attend. If they are worth their salt they'll discharge you.  

doistu

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:48 pm
Blah. Court made me take therapy as part of my probation, a few years back. Cuz apparently I had things that were wrong with me. none of the therapists I went to thought there was. I think my mom's taken me to nine different therapists and two psychologists in my whole life. The psychologists said I'm borderline bipolar, the therapists said I'm just an eccentric girl.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:20 pm
Therapy is great if you have a good therapist. I saw the same person for.. 6 years? Toward the end, I'd just sit there and rant to him and he'd give me advice on how to handle things in my life.

But I mean, if someone made me go because they didn't agree with my beliefs, I'd just sit there and say nothing. If I said anything, it likely would just dig me a deeper hole, lol.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:38 am
My therapist game me a book called Cows, Pigs, Wars and Witches. I haven't read it yet. It's a behavioral book. I have no clue where it even is =^_^= But there are a lot of christian therapists and they won't keep an open mind to us nonchristians. I would love to go to an acupuncturist. The one my mom went to is awesome. I would suggest trying to find another therapist. One who is more open minded. Maybe they could tell your parents it is a belief system, not insanity...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:40 pm
Did your parents send u because of the books, or did they see u talking to something they couldn't see? I freaked my sis out, because she walked into a room while I was talking to what seemed to be nothing. She gets it tho, so it's not that bad. Also, does the therapist know it's just your parents, not u that has a problem with it. Just try explaining it. if that doesn't work, it can be fun having ppl believe ur insane, and all of us are a little insane, just too proud/blind to admit it. hope this helps.  

Sashaajnin

violentraine

IRL Bloodsucker

7,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:08 pm

I have spirit Guardians that I talk to, and they think it's merely of me having "imaginary friends".

The house is haunted, and yet they don't believe so. They see the books as me trying to "keep up with my imaginary friends".

Thank you guys. I appreciate it greatly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:40 pm
Kisax127

I have spirit Guardians that I talk to, and they think it's merely of me having "imaginary friends".

The house is haunted, and yet they don't believe so. They see the books as me trying to "keep up with my imaginary friends".

Thank you guys. I appreciate it greatly.

You talking to spirits, in my opinion, is truely amazing..
How do you talk to them, I love spirits and would kill to have the talent to communicate with them...  

MoonStone Harmony

Arcaniss Vivian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 am
I think that I would rather go to a yoga trainer than a pyschologist.....  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games