Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Deadly Premonition

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:05 pm
I bought Deadly Premonition last night... and for once I am at a loss for words.

First, read this IGN review:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1070909p1.html

Next, (and more importantly) read this destroid review (the actual content of this review is much more important than IGN's, since this guy actually understood the point of the game)

http://www.destructoid.com/review-deadly-premonition-165168.phtml

I have also seen some statements calling this "The most entertaining game I've ever played". About 4 hours into the game, I am completely inclined to agree.

This is the most fabulous parody of video games I've ever seen. It, without being obvious, is a satire of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Shenmue, and Clocktower. I have never had a game that entertained people watching me play more, and as of how far I am into the game, never played a game that's made me laugh more consistently, ever.

It's $20 new (bought it new because I want to support this game), and if you're a fan of B movies, unblatant satire, and the greatest main character I've ever had the pleasure to play as, then I recommend picking it up.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:36 am
I read a few reviews about this and pretty much read many bad and great reviews for it. Dreamer and I wanted to play any horror genre lately so I picked up the FEAR series last night. I should probably pick this one up sometime down the road.

Also for $20 new, what was the incentive to develop such a game? I am just curious is all. I will look deeper into it when I get into purchasing the game.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:12 am
I had 3 elaborate paragraphs about how budget games don't need 100 million dollars (GTA4's budget) so they can charge $20, but then Giant Bomb said it a lot better:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/griefersstolemykeyboard/deadly-premonition-and-why-people-love-it/30-41106/

Also, the actual investigation of the crime, and the characters are the most important aspects of the game. So far the horror elements are just to give the player some RE4 style action. (with some clock tower and silent hill thrown in)

In addition, this game ended up being the top selling 360 game of last week. Low cost + bad economy + growing word on the internet about its instant cult classic status = winning combination.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:16 pm
I just bought a new bass, and am pretty much broke right now, but with all that I'm hearing about this game, I'm definitely putting money aside to buy it.  

Haratio TaFotter

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:00 pm
Picked up Deadly Premonition brand new and didn't really play it much. It is in line after FEAR 1 & 2 and I hope to get to it shortly. 12 achievements also makes it nice to get easily get 1000/1000.

Also a quick question for nit. The FBI pistol is infinite correct? My knife can't take any more abuse and no steel pipes seem to be laying around anymore... also the fact that I am starting on Hard for 1 playthrough = hostile residents shoving fists/biting my groin takes 1/3 of my health  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:51 pm
Yeah, the pistol is infinite.

Just so you know, once you get past the first 20 minutes, the game gets much, much better (assuming you're playing it more for the witty dialog and characters and less for the RE4 style stuff)  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:30 pm
Yes, after reading your thoughts and website reviews I decided to look up some others and decided to purchase this. I find it kinda funny/neat that I am Zach the alter ego. I am eager to get done with FEAR and start Deadly Premonition. And now I am sad because you have to play through 3 times to get 1000/1000 because the difficulty achievements are not stackable!  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:27 am
IGN is most undeniably the most reliable game score site. Since they gave Dealy Premonition a 2/10, the game probably sucks. But then again, when compared to my daily life of crime fighting almost every game seems mundane.  

Terry Batman McGinnis

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff