Welcome to Gaia! ::

Faith Black's Multi-purpose Friend Guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is a hangout for everyone on Gaia. Members are encouraged to talk about just about anything, plus, we have monthly giveaways! 

Tags: giveaway, contest, hangout, friend, game 

Reply Things We Care About (Extended Discussion)
Day of Silence

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Treasoning4u

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:52 pm
Day of Silence is this Friday!

For those that don't know what Day of Silence is, let me explain:
Every April, members of the LGBTQ (that's Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgendered/Questioning) community stay silent for one full school day to protest bullying & harassment. Members of the LGBTQ community are often bullied, made fun of, beaten up, or threatened on a daily basis because of their sexual orientation. For this reason, many members of the LGBTQ community must hide who they really are. In short, they are silenced. To raise awareness of this silence, a large group of students may choose to stay silent during school hours. (More info can be found HERE) Some students don't stay silent, they choose to speak so that they may tell others what Day of Silence means. Some put up posters. Some have other methods.

What are you doing to end the silence on Friday?
What about every other day?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:10 pm
I'll start!

My school won't let us stay silent the whole day, they force us to speak during class (which I don't like, but will follow anyways), but we're allowed to wear signs that say "I'm silent: here's why" & they let us stay silent between classes & at lunch. A few teachers are even putting posters up in their classrooms, so I'm helping pass those out before school, & I'm printing signs for people who forgot to print their own.
That's just what I'm doing on Friday.

Every other day, I tell people "I take offense to that" when they say things like "That's gay" or things like that, & I make an effort to educate people as to why that's so offensive. I think I'm making a real difference! Less people in my school are being bullied for being gay, & the teachers are making a stronger effort to punish people who use words like "f*****t" & crack down on bullies.

I'm quite proud of myself for that fact!  

Treasoning4u

Kirei_chan

O.G. Codger

6,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:16 pm
I don't have school on fridays here, so it should be much easier to stay silent 3nodding
I hope to participate to the best of my ability this year!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:45 pm
Kirei_chan
I don't have school on fridays here, so it should be much easier to stay silent 3nodding
I hope to participate to the best of my ability this year!

You could walk around the mall wearing a sign or a badge stating what you're doing. That would help spread the word & still let you participate!  

Treasoning4u

FaithBlack
Vice Captain

Fashionable Sex Symbol

16,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:34 pm
I'm not in school anymore, but I'm reminding all my friends that are of what tomorrow is.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:48 pm
Forgot to mention - When I was doing it in school, I had a hard time keeping quiet, so I put duct tape over my mouth. There's no rule against it, & they can't punish you for it, especially if you tell all your teachers before hand that you're doing Day of Silence. It's not insubordination if you tell them beforehand, so you can't get in trouble, to the best of my knowledge.  

FaithBlack
Vice Captain

Fashionable Sex Symbol

16,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Noob wrangler 100
Things We Care About (Extended Discussion)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games