Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Anyone Here Play Bass? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:19 pm
I've been interested in bass guitar lately (made a topic about it in the Musician's Forum in Gaia). Does anyone here play, and have any starting tips for me?

Here's the model I'm looking into. I know "starting kits" like this aren't generally recommended to serious musicians, but I'd much rather start with something cheap but serviceable than find myself not continuing and having paid big bucks for everything I needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Silvertone-Guitar-Package-Liquid-SSLB11PK-BK/dp/B0002D0HZ8/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IYIKSYXEJVZMB&colid=W5U5U8H9IY81  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:42 pm
I see a lot of posts in that thread recommending a Squier. I know my girlfriend has a Squier, amp, and some other crap she tried to get rid of once, but nobody bit. She might still be interested, IDK, but I think she was asking $300 for the whole package (bass, amp, cable, stand, case, picks, and maybe a couple other small things).

Nothing wrong with the guitar IIRC, but she asked her parents for a guitar and got a bass instead, so she never used it.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Mr Savoy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:00 pm
I kind of want to learn the bass as well. Guitar strings are just too thin and... well... many for me, and I prefer the sounds that a base can make. However, I've not the money for even that economical package. >.>

If you do buy a bass and start learning, post in this thread about how it goes. xp  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:56 pm
I play guitar. Maybe we could make a band...  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 pm
Sgt Buckner
I second the motion.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
This is your guitar.

I'll use a wireless mic that looks exactly like a potato masher grenade from WWII. (which means I call vocals)

@Armas the only real advice I have is keep practicing. Blisters will appear on your fingers and they will hurt but you have to keep practicing for clauses to build up. Also the fret spacing is considerably bigger than on a regular guitar so I hope you don't have small hands.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:27 am
@Savoy: All I could say is save up. I will indeed post about my progress (here's hoping there will be some.)

@Buckner: Well it'll be a while before I'm band-ready. But after that, sure thing.

@Rommel: That potato masher grenade mic idea is great. Does someone really make things like that? Also, I don't know what to consider small hands. But I think they're average-sized. I don't plan on stopping from a little finger pain. I mean if I get to where bone is showing, it might be time to take a day or two off, otherwise if I love it I'll keep playing.  

ArmasTermin

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:39 am
Microphones already kinda resemble the potato masher so I just need a slight modification. We'll need other instruments that resemble weapons.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:06 am
Speaking of bass I don't play one, but I do grill them nicely. biggrin Quite a yummy fish.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:34 am
Das Rabble Rouser
Sgt Buckner
I second the motion.

This is your guitar.
The best part is, the guitAR-15 is under $800.

Flintlock Bass. <3 Abney Park.

Anywho, making drums look like a set of mortars would be awesome. We'd need someone on keyboard... maybe a gigantic claymore, or the dashboard of a deuce-and-a-half, with the front end of the truck built in front of it?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:40 am
We could be like an American version of Sabaton. biggrin If we get a drummer that can drum fast enough to replicate a machine gun burst then the guitARist could fire a "burst" into the crowd. That would make for an interesting show. biggrin  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:49 am
Das Rabble Rouser
the guitARist could fire a "burst" into the crowd.
I hear Gene Simmons tried that. It was surprisingly popular, even though I'd expect most people at a KISS concert would be of the male persuasion and not appreciate such a "burst".  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:25 am
It's still better than throwing live grenades into the audience. Then again if we could get some cheap fake grenades we could throw those at them.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:23 pm
Well, we have to have lighting, fog and pyrotechnics. I called it!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:35 pm
I sense the most epic band ever in the making.

Band name ideas?

Also I ordered the bass I posted the link to. I generally don't trust "starter packs" for musical instruments, but it got overwhelmingly high reviews, saying that it was great for a beginner considering the price. I can't wait to get it in, and pics will be posted when I do.  

ArmasTermin

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:53 pm
Lock N Load for the band name  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items