Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Academy
So I'm new at this whole "guild" thing... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What needs to be worked on in this guild most?
More lessons!
80%
 80%  [ 20 ]
Better Overall Format
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Other
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 25

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:16 pm
I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing here. Is everyone okay with the format of this guild?

I mean, does the whole ANSWER ROLL CALL > READ LESSONS > ASK QUESTIONS thing work for everyone?I just want to be sure that everyone can learn as much as possible here.  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:18 pm
Yeah, just one suggestion, because of the two subforums, I only have one suggestion: Maybe link the threads that you want connected to in the first post?

ex.

Kana and Kanji lesson 1

---

Vocab Lesson 1

Include a link to both threads in your posts? Hahaha. Just so we know what thread goes with what?  

Il Bambino
Crew

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:56 pm
Il Bambino
Yeah, just one suggestion, because of the two subforums, I only have one suggestion: Maybe link the threads that you want connected to in the first post?

ex.

Kana and Kanji lesson 1

---

Vocab Lesson 1

Include a link to both threads in your posts? Hahaha. Just so we know what thread goes with what?

They have been linked. Also, I will repeat the reason to learn them seperately, as added to Kanji lesson two:

The reason that I teach you the direct English meanings of the kanji, instead of the Japanese words, has to do with the way your brain learns languages. If you learn kanji this way, when you look at a character, your brain will think:

CHARACTER > MEANING

If I taught you the kanji as they relate to the Japanese word, the process would look like this:

CHARACTER > JAPANESE > MEANING

Slowing down the comprehension process. If you follow the vocab and the kanji, you will learn to read and write much faster.  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:57 am
Oh and by the way, what are you going to do for members that haven't posted yet? I know some guilds give warnings and say that they'll delete them something. I know it helps flourish the guild and all.  

this little secret

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:37 am
im sort of new here . How does this guild work out? i want be educated and stuff. but how?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:52 pm
I (super) suggest not introducing Japanese in a ro-maji format. It just adds onto the person's gaijin accent, and can screw their speaking up really bad. Right off the bat show them the hirigana, and the japanese way of saying them. (through a native speaker if you can, many are available on youtube.)
The sooner you ditch ro-maji, the sooner you are speaking/writing/reading real japanese.  

flightyPrick

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:04 pm
Cascade-kun
I (super) suggest not introducing Japanese in a ro-maji format. It just adds onto the person's gaijin accent, and can screw their speaking up really bad. Right off the bat show them the hirigana, and the japanese way of saying them. (through a native speaker if you can, many are available on youtube.)
The sooner you ditch ro-maji, the sooner you are speaking/writing/reading real japanese.

Actually, it doesn't really do much for the accent. I haven't been allowed to use romaji in class for five years now, and I still have classmates that butcher the pronunciation. The only way to shake the accent is to listen and speak.

I would love to put all my lessons up in hiragana, but I know that, realistically, most people will stop following along. I will, however, be adding more hiragana reading practices soon.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:05 pm
Phoniex of Darkness
im sort of new here . How does this guild work out? i want be educated and stuff. but how?

You've been doing well so far! Just read the lessons, and practice them at home.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:08 pm
okay thank you sensei  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:11 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Cascade-kun

Actually, it doesn't really do much for the accent. I haven't been allowed to use romaji in class for five years now, and I still have classmates that butcher the pronunciation. The only way to shake the accent is to listen and speak.

I would love to put all my lessons up in hiragana, but I know that, realistically, most people will stop following along. I will, however, be adding more hiragana reading practices soon.

Well I know when it's shown with ro-maji people will want to speak the word with the english accent we have, rather than try to sound japanese. It's just a totally unneeded crutch to learning.
But you know. ^^; You're the sensei. and. I'm not.
Just every sensei I've ever had had always said to not learn ro-maji.  

flightyPrick

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:44 pm
Cascade-kun
Starry Starry Fright
Cascade-kun

Well I know when it's shown with ro-maji people will want to speak the word with the english accent we have, rather than try to sound japanese. It's just a totally unneeded crutch to learning.

Oh, mine too. I haven't actually written romaji anywhere but this guild since I was about sixteen. My University professors won't tolerate it (and at our age, they really shouldn't...).For lower-level instruction, though... it's just easier. Those who are serious about learning will take the time to learn. I've considered incorporating more hiragana, but the hiragana exercises I have posted have received such a poor response that it doesn't really seem worth my time to type everything out twice.

Accents come from a part of your brain called Broca's area, which is located in your inferior frontal gyrus. The part of your brain that comprehends written language is Wernicke's area, located way back in the superior temporal gyrus (in most people). They work completely independently (If your Broca's area were to be removed, you could still read, but you could not speak). Unfortunately, your ability to lose your accent is partly governed by your remaining brain plasticity, but the development in Broca's area that you CAN control comes from repeated listening and speaking. Reading has nothing to do with it. The people who are motivated to learn hiragana are also more likely to practice their speaking and watch Japanese television/listen to Japanese music.

Incidentally, you just stumbled on my field of research - artificial linguistics. This sort of things absolutely fascinates me. As a fun fact, if a person who speaks only English has a seizure in their inferior frontal gyrus, they could walk around for the rest of their life with a foreign accent, even though they only speak English. Fascinating stuff.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:27 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Cascade-kun
Starry Starry Fright
Cascade-kun

Oh, mine too. I haven't actually written romaji anywhere but this guild since I was about sixteen. My University professors won't tolerate it (and at our age, they really shouldn't...).For lower-level instruction, though... it's just easier. Those who are serious about learning will take the time to learn. I've considered incorporating more hiragana, but the hiragana exercises I have posted have received such a poor response that it doesn't really seem worth my time to type everything out twice.

Accents come from a part of your brain called Broca's area, which is located in your inferior frontal gyrus. The part of your brain that comprehends written language is Wernicke's area, located way back in the superior temporal gyrus (in most people). They work completely independently (If your Broca's area were to be removed, you could still read, but you could not speak). Unfortunately, your ability to lose your accent is partly governed by your remaining brain plasticity, but the development in Broca's area that you CAN control comes from repeated listening and speaking. Reading has nothing to do with it*. The people who are motivated to learn hiragana are also more likely to practice their speaking and watch Japanese television/listen to Japanese music.

Incidentally, you just stumbled on my field of research - artificial linguistics. This sort of things absolutely fascinates me. As a fun fact, if a person who speaks only English has a seizure in their inferior frontal gyrus, they could walk around for the rest of their life with a foreign accent, even though they only speak English. Fascinating stuff.

*soo not trying to be rude at all* if a person was really serious about learning japanese they'd hit up a legit class and books and stuff rather than looking on Gaia. Know what i mean? *bow bow bow* And if they only learn ro-maji then they'll run around using that and generally looking like a horrible weeabo. BUT YEAH biggrin

Language is quite fascinating, I agree. (though I find space & super novas to be the most interesting thing in the "world" *gigglesnort*) *when we read/write, you think it with the english sounds unless you try to think with the japanese accent.  

flightyPrick

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:03 pm
Cascade-kun
Starry Starry Fright
Cascade-kun
Starry Starry Fright
Cascade-kun

Accents come from a part of your brain called Broca's area, which is located in your inferior frontal gyrus. The part of your brain that comprehends written language is Wernicke's area, located way back in the superior temporal gyrus (in most people). They work completely independently (If your Broca's area were to be removed, you could still read, but you could not speak). Unfortunately, your ability to lose your accent is partly governed by your remaining brain plasticity, but the development in Broca's area that you CAN control comes from repeated listening and speaking. Reading has nothing to do with it*. The people who are motivated to learn hiragana are also more likely to practice their speaking and watch Japanese television/listen to Japanese music.

*soo not trying to be rude at all* if a person was really serious about learning japanese they'd hit up a legit class and books and stuff rather than looking on Gaia. Know what i mean? *bow bow bow* And if they only learn ro-maji then they'll run around using that and generally looking like a horrible weeabo. BUT YEAH biggrin

Language is quite fascinating, I agree. (though I find space & super novas to be the most interesting thing in the "world" *gigglesnort*) *when we read/write, you think it with the english sounds unless you try to think with the japanese accent.

You make a good point. Romaji is for the weak! April shall be Hiragana month here at the Japanese Academy, and May shall be Katakana month! Banzai!

Going to be a physics major one day, then? razz  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:22 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Cascade-kun
Starry Starry Fright
Cascade-kun
Starry Starry Fright
Cascade-kun

You make a good point. Romaji is for the weak! April shall be Hiragana month here at the Japanese Academy, and May shall be Katakana month! Banzai!

Going to be a physics major one day, then? razz

すごい~~ :3 Can't wait.

*gigglesnort* no. It fascinates me beyond utter reason, but I could not stand all the boring research and how trite it all sounds that goes with it.
Instead, I'm in the creative writing fields. I'm going to be just like Erie Yuki a famous author in japan one day.  

flightyPrick

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:33 pm
I would like more lesson please and do you have a lesson on romanji and how to learn how to text message your friends in Japanese like having a cell phone.  
Japanese Academy

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff