Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Kana and Kanji Lessons
KANA/KANJI Lesson Two - Introducing Kanji! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:43 pm
Yes, it's time for the dreaded kanji to begin. Don't worry, it's not nearly as bad as it seems.

There are over 9000 kanji in total. That is not a Dragonball Z joke, I swear. Even native Japanese speakers learn Kanji slowly, so to begin, I will be teaching you the 80 or so kanji that Japanese first graders learn.

Kanji are borrowed from an old Chinese writing system, and many Chinese characters are very similar to Japanese Kanji. These symbols began as pictographs, and the modern-day characters still bear some resemblance to their original pictures.

We are going to begin with ten little kanji. Don't be afraid. These kanji represent the NUMBERS and correspond to JAPANESE Lesson Two..

The reason that I teach you the direct English meanings of the kanji, instead of the Japanese words, has to do with the way your brain learns languages. If you learn kanji this way, when you look at a character, your brain will think:

CHARACTER > MEANING

If I taught you the kanji as they relate to the Japanese word, the process would look like this:

CHARACTER > JAPANESE > MEANING

Slowing down the comprehension process. If you follow the vocab and the kanji, you will learn to read and write much faster.

Let the learning commence!

one - - this is one line. One. Easy.

two - - this is two lines. Two. Easy.

three -  - this is three lines. Three. Easy.

four - - This is supposed to depict a human fist. Fists have four fingers, thus, four.

five -  - This character has five lines, and represents five.

six -  - this character depicts a hill or tall mound. It represents six because hills rise about the normal ground ground and six rises above the normal counting you can do on one hand.

seven - - this character does not depict anything to do with seven and was assigned the meaning "seven" through some unknown mistake.

eight - - this character depicts something being divided evenly in two. Eight divides evenly in two. Thus, it became eight.

nine - - this originally looked like a fist clenching with one finger outstretched. If you clench both fists and leave one finger out, you have clenched nine fingers. Thus nine.

ten - - this represents two arms crossed. Two arms have ten fingers and thus, this means ten.

Kanji is possibly the most interesting part of Japanese, and if you learn the origins of the characters, you will find that they are not difficult to remember.

For those of you who are serious about learning Japanese, I recommend that you practice writing out these kanji in order to truly master them.

If you're lost, confused or totally on top of things, reply to this post and tell me what's going on. I hope all of you will enjoy learning Kanji.  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:11 pm
My favorite aspect of Japanese: The stories behind the kanji. Man oh man, they always amaze me!! Thanks so much for this lesson.  

Il Bambino
Crew

this little secret

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:18 pm
So interesting. I shall write this down to keep in memory.  
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:35 am
Arigatou gozaimasu! I'll write it down in my notepad.  

Asano Wakana

Distinct Phantom

8,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200

x Falsi

Shameless Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:02 pm
Hachi always reminds me of a mustache.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:00 pm
I'll write them down and practice them.  

Nezume girl

pixseouls

9,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:05 pm
I'm sooo glad they're based on Chinese characters!! xD  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:06 pm
Oh! I remember being told that Japanese point at their noses instead of their chests. I didn't relate that to Kanji though~! Thank you for pointing that out. That makes sense!  

Magegirl Nino

7,250 Points
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0

Baksuetai_Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:30 pm
They are hard to write in paint, but I do like Kanji.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:33 pm
Baksuetai_Tenshi
They are hard to write in paint, but I do like Kanji.

If you use really thin paint, it's a little closer to Japanese ink. And when they do calligraphy, they keep their wrists perfectly still and put all the movement in the elbow. I always made a royal mess of traditional calligraphy in high school, but I'm slowly getting better. 3nodding  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Baksuetai_Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:14 pm
wow, thats sooo awsum! they use their elbows instead of their wrists huh... ill have to practice that  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Numbers, check :D I understand.

9000 seems such an unbelivablely large number though :o .
Particulary in comparison to our lowly 26 characters.

Allwell, 10 down.

ORANGIE JUUSH

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:37 am
All i can say thank you for posting it i wrote it in notebook in marker to practices thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:41 pm
ORANGIE JUUSH

Numbers, check :D I understand.

9000 seems such an unbelivablely large number though :o .
Particulary in comparison to our lowly 26 characters.

Allwell, 10 down.

You know it's good to think of Kanji as the "big words" of Japanese. Like we have words like, giant. Which just means big. Kanji is just the big words. and used whenever possible and very commonly.  

flightyPrick

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:33 pm
Wow. Thank Starry Sensei for posting them up. Sometimes i get confused on it. thanks.  
Japanese Kana and Kanji Lessons

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff