Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Academy
Why Do YOU Want to Learn Japanese? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Why are you learning?
Anime Fan
44%
 44%  [ 34 ]
Japanese Heritage
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
I love languages!
38%
 38%  [ 29 ]
Needed a challenge.
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Bored.
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 76

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:10 pm
I'm just curious as to why so many people are drawn to Japanese. Any particular reasons or stories?  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:47 pm
I would like to understand, read and speak the language. What motivated me was anime and from there I was totally interested in the language and culture.  

ll Pure Angel ll

2,950 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250

this little secret

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:03 pm
For me I was almost close for it being anime but I'm quite bored of it except for one, but I like learning languages regardless of the fact how hard it is, hehe.  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:00 pm

My family speaks italian. We have tons of italian things and customs...but I'm part japanese as well...my dad doesn't speak a drop of japanese. At all.

I want to learn it....so I am. smile Because my Grandma speaks it stilll, but is forgetting less.
What's really sad is she can't read japanese very well at all. sad I wish she still remembered how...but her eyes are failing her now as she ages and gets old.

Il Bambino
Crew

HarunoHaruka

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:40 pm
Two reasons:
* Cuz like everyone, to nderstnad anime such like that
* cuz one day hn iam older, iam gonna go to Japan
Its my dream~ biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:00 pm
ll Door to Darkness ll
I would like to understand, read and speak the language. What motivated me was anime and from there I was totally interested in the language and culture.

A lot of my classmates started the same way. Check out the "extracurricular" forum, you can start anime discussions there.

The moment that you realize you can understand anime without looking at the subs is the weirdest moment ever.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:02 pm
knowyourlittlesecret
For me I was almost close for it being anime but I'm quite bored of it except for one, but I like learning languages regardless of the fact how hard it is, hehe.

Japanese isn't all that difficult to learn once you wrap your head around it. It's just the first few months that are rough. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:04 pm
Il Bambino

My family speaks italian. We have tons of italian things and customs...but I'm part japanese as well...my dad doesn't speak a drop of japanese. At all.

I want to learn it....so I am. smile Because my Grandma speaks it stilll, but is forgetting less.
What's really sad is she can't read japanese very well at all. sad I wish she still remembered how...but her eyes are failing her now as she ages and gets old.

You'll have to write something for her in Japanese and impress her... does she know you're learning?  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:05 pm
lizziecool11
Two reasons:
* Cuz like everyone, to nderstnad anime such like that
* cuz one day hn iam older, iam gonna go to Japan
Its my dream~ biggrin

My boyfriend lived with a Japanese family on an exchange for a little bit and he absolutely loved it. Keep whining to go back. You'll enjoy it there.

You might want to look into exchange programs and see what's available.  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:52 pm
I didn't want to learn it from the anime, I just wanted to learn it, seemed interesting~  

this little secret

Kuronuma Sadako

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:07 am
I wanna learn Japanese so that I wouldn't have to read subtitles when watching animes, it's a big of a difference heart  
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:36 am
I want to learn Japanese because when I'm college I'm gonna get Foreign Language as my course. And also I want to go to Japan to see someone in particular. I also got inspired because my Ane is studying japanese since she's high school. But she didn't took Foreign Language as her course.  

Asano Wakana

Distinct Phantom

8,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200

neverendingsolitude

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:03 pm
While understanding anime without subtitles would be a huge milestone in my life, I also love the culture. I watched Pokemon before anything else, but I never knew that was anime until I was 10 and watched Inuyasha. Without my friend Marianna, I wouldnt be the obsessed weirdo I am today.
I dont know a whole lot about the culture, but its all so very interesting. I like things that are 'different'. Because I have such a small school, the only language they offer is Spanish, which is very boring. I have a 4.0 GPA (I'll be fresh meat next year, OH NOES) and I love a good challenge. I want to be able to talk to my Japanese friend in her own language. Next year I will hopefully be visiting Japan (I believe I'll be visiting Karatsu) and I'll get to see her again c:
The most I can say is: Konnichiwa, watashi no namae wa (___) desu, and a few other simple words
but that was enough to impress the Japanese students that were visiting. And as an extra bonus I sent them candy the day before they left, earning me brownie points with the lady in charge of our foreign exchange program at school. She sent me a thank you note and asked me to check up with her cause she would love to have me go to Japan (but of course I'm too scared to call the old woman...)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:09 pm
I love the culture and the way the language sounds. I want to be a graphic novelist and manga is my reference(?). I also hope to live in Japan one day.  

Nezume girl

Aratariel

4,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:35 am
I am going to Japan on holiday from July 26 until August 8, so
I thought it would be nice to know some of the language.
Also, I have two students from Japan in my classes.

Japanese Academy

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff