Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Kana and Kanji Lessons
KANA/KANJI Lesson Three - Advanced Hiragana

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:20 pm
Back to hiragana for another lesson, bear with me, pupils.

If you read through the chart I provided, you probably noticed that adding a little " mark to the character changes its sound, and that adding a little circle to the "H" characters turns them into "P" characters.

If you did not notice that, please review this chart.

http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/hiragana_chart.html

You will need to memorize which characters change sounds.

K becomes G

S becomes Z

T becomes D

H becomes B

H with circle becomes P

At the very bottom of the chart, you also probably noticed the "kya, kyu,", etc symbols. Whenever you see a syllable like "sha", you write it as shi + small ya.

Note that you can only do this with characters that end in the "i" sound, like ki, mi, bi, chi, etc.

You'll also notice that some Japanese words, when written out in roman letters (romaji), have a double consonant. For example, the word "notte" (which is a version of the verb, "to ride") has a double t.

That shows up in hiragana like this:

のって

See the small tsu? That small tsu character indicates that when you say the word, you sort of stop your throat at that point. It creates a very hard T sound, which is expressed as "notte" in romaji.

You've also probably seen romaji words with a line written over the o. THIS DOES NOT INDICATE A DOUBLE O. A long O sound is always produced by an O syllable followed by a U.

Ex - Tōkyō is written in Japanese as "toukyou", not tookyoo.

I hope that this answers any questions you might have had about hiragana. If you have more questions, post them here. Hiragana is hard work, with lots of memorization, so keep playing those games from lesson one!

がんばって!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:07 pm
Quote:
At the very bottom of the chart, you also probably noticed the "kya, kyu,", etc symbols. Whenever you see a syllable like "sha", you write it as shi + small ya.

Note that you can only do this with characters that end in the "i" sound, like ki, mi, bi, chi, etc.

didnt understand this part?  

Rihanna Bae

blasted by bubbles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:11 pm
Kinukio
Quote:

didnt understand this part?

What she means is that syllables ending with "i" き (ki), し (shi), ち (chi), み (mi), ひ (hi), り (ri) turn into きゃ (kya), きゅ (kyu), きょ (kyo), しゃ (sha), しゅ (shu), しょ (sho), etc., etc., when や (ya), ゆ (yu), and よ (yo), are added to them.

Hope that didn't confuse you even more XD  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:23 am
Starry Starry Fright

You've also probably seen romaji words with a line written over the o. THIS DOES NOT INDICATE A DOUBLE O. A long O sound is always produced by an O syllable followed by a U.

I'm sorry, but this is not always the case. For example 大坂 or 「おおさか」 "Osaka" and 大きい or「おおきい」 an "i-adjective" for large or big both use a second お instead of う to indicate the extension of the vowel.  

SquackinVox

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:24 pm
SquackinVox
Starry Starry Fright

I'm sorry, but this is not always the case. For example 大坂 or 「おおさか」 "Osaka" and 大きい or「おおきい」 an "i-adjective" for large or big both use a second お instead of う to indicate the extension of the vowel.

Anytime there is a double o, both o's should be written out in roumaji.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:34 pm

I understand, I think. :D

ORANGIE JUUSH

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:57 pm
Tookyo than Tookyoo how it written right?
but what if we want to Hiroshima in hiragana how do we say that  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:01 pm
Phoniex of Darkness
Tookyo than Tookyoo how it written right?
but what if we want to Hiroshima in hiragana how do we say that

Tokyo - とうきょう
Hiroshima - ひろしま  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points