FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:39 pm

Recently I was having a chat with a close friend. He brought to my attention that There have been a lot of horendous natural disasters lately and all of them have been devistating to many people. Hurricane Katrina, The Tsunami in india and asia and he said seismic activity and such has been ever increasing. He said mothernature is pissed. I don't know what to believe I have never felt any energy that would hold anger or hate. Do you feel these natural disasters are just natural or is MOther nature trying to get some attention. If yes then what do you think shes trying to say. I just felt like starting a nice discussion and hopefully people don't post once anf bounce away from. gonk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:05 pm

I know, there have been a lot of disasters lately. The question is, have they been a result of what we've been doing to the earth, or Mother Nature acting out?

Or proof for my friends End-Of-The-World theory...

Earth - Earthquakes
Water - Tsunami
Wind - Hurricanes
Fire - Forest Fires(allthgouh those are standard, and hardly getting any worse than normal)

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:16 pm

Nihilistic Seraph
I know, there have been a lot of disasters lately. The question is, have they been a result of what we've been doing to the earth, or Mother Nature acting out?

Or proof for my friends End-Of-The-World theory...

Earth - Earthquakes
Water - Tsunami
Wind - Hurricanes
Fire - Forest Fires(allthgouh those are standard, and hardly getting any worse than normal)

I know Im just kinda thinking I am not really sure if its because of what we did, maybe not doing or just because. it makes my head hurt. xp
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:22 pm

Well, I hardly know enough about science to say for sure, but I'd be going with its a direct reaction to what we're doing to the planet.

Melting ice caps=more fresh water and cooler temperature. That would probably disturb an equilibrium. Cool water affects the tempteratures below the crust, a whole bunch of stuff.

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:30 pm

When it comes to apocolyptic matters, I tend to try an look at things in a more positive light. I see the coming decade (if multiple prophecies hold tru), being a time of "cleansing". It might be painful, but so is childbirth. I'm hoping that we will becoming into a new age of understanding, rather than being destroyed by an asteroid or what not. xp

This matter has actually been causing me a lot of stress lately. sweatdrop Damn you, History Channel! gonk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:33 pm

My friends keep talking about how the Incans prophesized 2006 as the big final.

Then again, I've tried researching it, and haven't found anything.

St. Malachi has prophesized the current pope to be the second to last before the Apocalypse, but that has the standard Prophetic loophole.

So don't worry about it.

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:41 pm

It was the Mayans or Aztecs that predicted in their famous solar calendars that the world would end in 2012.

I'm pretty sure it was the Mayans... and I don't think they really "prophesized" it- their calendar just ends there. I don't think they were lazy.

There's also prophecies in something called the "Bible code"; however, there are two situations, and the 'happier' one seems to have the edge (Syria and Lebanon are not fighting heart ).
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:49 pm

I'm going to be very cautious in treading here, the last Guild I was in went out of control in thinking everything meant armageddon.

Anyway, yeah, it's kind of odd that we're on the 27th (a record) tropical storm, and that brutal tsunami that hit was... well very devastating indeed. But I don't think it's mother nature being angry, it's more that we're living where we shouldn't. These things have been happening since the oceans formed, we just think coastlines are beautiful and want to live there, so we suffer when the storms hit us.

The excess of storms lately is probably because of El Nino combined with the global warming they're telling us about. 2006 is supposed to actually be a very mild eyar compared to 2005... not that it'll be hard. sweatdrop

Syndrama

Goddess Hekate
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:12 pm

Jameta
It was the Mayans or Aztecs that predicted in their famous solar calendars that the world would end in 2012.

I'm pretty sure it was the Mayans... and I don't think they really "prophesized" it- their calendar just ends there. I don't think they were lazy.

There's also prophecies in something called the "Bible code"; however, there are two situations, and the 'happier' one seems to have the edge (Syria and Lebanon are not fighting heart ).

December 21, 2012. Some astrological constallation thingy, that happens every 13.000 year will take place at that time.

That's when the mayans (Aztecs, I think, had the same) say the world will end, but what they are refering to is probably the end of an age, like the end of the fourth age of man will end.

I was watching a documentary in history, which talked about how the Hopi-Indians had predicted everything, from space travel (A Road to heaven) to telephones (Man will talk through air) and Trains(Moving Iron houses), and even to the UN (Building of glass) and the whitehouse.

It was really creepy in a sort of doom is nearing kind of way. sweatdrop
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:46 pm

Goddess Hekate
I was watching a documentary in history, which talked about how the Hopi-Indians had predicted everything, from space travel (A Road to heaven) to telephones (Man will talk through air) and Trains(Moving Iron houses), and even to the UN (Building of glass) and the whitehouse.

Nostradamus had some pretty intense predictions, as well. Both World Wars, the fall of Napoleon, and I've seen some literature on his having predicted the fall of the Twin Towers (The Two Brothers will fall, heralding the arrival of the 3rd AntiChrist). What you have to keep in mind with these sorts of predictions, however, is that when they're taken out of the larger context they were made in, of course they can be made to fit modern events! Prophesies are always vague, and we can never be absolutely certain what the prophet saw. I read tarot cards for a livelihood, and it's unbelievable to keep in touch with some clients; what I saw turns out to be completely different from what happens, but both events (predicted and actual) are both applicable within a context.

As for natural disasters, I'm going to try to approach this from a counter- End Times perspective. Yes, we are experiencing an increased volume of natural disasters than we have in the past. We also have larger populations, make harsher demands on natural resources, and leave our mark as a civilization on Mother Earth. If a butterfly fluttering it's wings in New York can cause a tsunami in China, imagine what umteen-billion people is doing!

Some people decry polution as the cause, as we're destroying the ozone and causing global warming. However, there in new research that suggests that this is a natural function of the ozone layer, and that polution is playing a lesser role than we had believed previously. Perhaps in some 60 or 70 years scientists will discover that drilling for oil has had a direct impact on earthquakes, which cause tsunamis and tidal waves.

Forest fires are on the rise, and for a variety of reasons: 1) We're getting less rain than in the past during the summer, and in applicable areas less snow in the winter. Frost levels are becoming less and less, and ground water tables are falling due to these natural factors and increased demand for industry and human consupmtion. The forests are drying out, like a Christmas tree with not enough water. 2) Camping is cool! People are out enjoying nature, in all its dried out splendor, and sparks carried on the wind or imporperly doused fires ignite brush, which spreads, etc. 3) People are living closer to forests, so when they burn things such as grass clippings or leaves (although they're not supposed to) this sets the stage for fires. 4) Kids playing with matches. Every spring, the fire bugs come out at home, and start lighting fields on fire simply to watch them burn. Little fires can get out of hand very quickly.

Whether it's divine will, I am in no position to speculate, not being a deity myself. However, it's my personal opinion that divine action would be less easily explained, and were it me, a bit more dramatic. I'd go with some Monty Pythonesque apendage of God squishing people at random. xd

My point: A correlation can be made between just about any cause and effect, especially with environmentl issues. My personal favorite is pirates. Did you know that there is a direct correlation between the decrease in the number of pirates and the increase in natural disasters? It's true! As my graph will demonstrate:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Solution: We must all become pirates, thereby ending natural disasters and appeasing Mother Earth. Because pirates are just that cool.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:43 am

w00t for Spaghettimonsterism. heart

Again, I'm feeling that it will be more of an 'end of an age/era' for a man than a mass whipe-out.

And if we all hope for the best, we may very well alter events in our favor. mrgreen "Mind over matter" and all that good stuff. wink
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:47 am

I always just go with the explanation that it's population control. Nature decided there's too many of us and she's ready rearrange how home looks to her. ^_^ Her version of "Spring Cleaning."

Mina Beltara

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:13 am

All hail the Prophet Henderson! Even Gaia supports FSM, they have a pirate icon pirate See, it's a sign!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:14 am

failesaich
I always just go with the explanation that it's population control. Nature decided there's too many of us and she's ready rearrange how home looks to her. ^_^ Her version of "Spring Cleaning."
Hehe, I just got a mental image of Mother Nature picking up a bunch of people in SUV's, and tossing them into the sun saying "we don't need them anymore..."

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:48 pm

Nihilistic Seraph
failesaich
Hehe, I just got a mental image of Mother Nature picking up a bunch of people in SUV's, and tossing them into the sun saying "we don't need them anymore..."
So sadistic...

...I like it. whee
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas