Welcome to Gaia! ::

Geocaching Guild

Back to Guilds

A high tech treasure hunting game using handheld GPS units. 

Tags: geocaching, hiking, camping, treasure, adventure 

Reply Geocaching Guild
Archived

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cache
  it's hot
View Results

7raindrops

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:40 pm
Archived caches are around and I had actually found one without knowing it. I use a geomate and I didn't update it. I found just a log and plastic baggie hidden in a tree.

Have you ever found an archived cache?

Have you ever been out searching for a cache only to go home and find that it's been archived?

Have you ever had a cache archived?

lets chat about it  
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:06 pm
My area has a bit of a problem of caches being archived and people not picking them up, at that point it seems like trash. I have found archived caches sometimes near new caches and it sucks because you think "yes I found it" only to find out it is not. I guess I see archived caches being left behind as a problem.  

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:47 pm
There was a reminder in this week's Groundspeak newsletter about the caching season going into high gear. They also said that vacations were a time for making memories but "not for placing geocaches" since if you place a cache far away from home then you can't maintain it if it goes missing or gets damaged.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:38 pm
I just archived a cache I had at a huge rest area in northern Kentucky near Cincinnati. I'd had it there for years but being a film canister it kept getting damp and going missing after a good storm. Someone else had a new cache there that was better protected so I've left the duty to them since I live too far from the site to do regular maintenance on my own. It had a good run though with several hundred hits (not counting the hundreds for the prototype that there before this one for a few years.  

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100

7raindrops

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:19 pm
hopefully someone will place a new cache there  
Geocaching Guild

Manage Your Items