Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Homework
Reading Practice - May 28 2010

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:15 pm
This is a self-introduction for an imaginary person, all written in hiragana。 See if you can read what it says.

はじめまして。わたしのなまえはゆきです。じゅうななさいです。せいとです。こうこうさんねんせいです。わたしのかぞくはちちとははといもうととわたしです。ちちはべんごしです。どうぞよろしく。

Just for kicks, here is the same paragraph written out with full kanji. As you can see, it saves a lot of space. Personally, I find the second one much easier to read than the first one these days.

はじめまして。私の名は雪です。十七歳です.生徒です。高校三年生です。私の家族は父と母と妹と私です。父は弁護士です。どうぞよろしく。

Get reading!  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:20 pm
I wanna ask a question!>.<
Is Chinese and Japanese a bit the same?  

Fratalizite

Fashionable Shopper

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:32 pm
limlizette

In same cases, they are very similar. Hiragana and katakana are only is Japanese, but Japanese kanji are based on an older set of Chinese characters. A lot of Japanese kanji look very similar to Chinese characters, but might have slight differences or slightly different meanings.  
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:16 pm
Starry Starry Fright
limlizette

In same cases, they are very similar. Hiragana and katakana are only is Japanese, but Japanese kanji are based on an older set of Chinese characters. A lot of Japanese kanji look very similar to Chinese characters, but might have slight differences or slightly different meanings.

Oh...I see thanks...so, is 十七歳です mean 17 years old or not? Because I'm Chinese(still learning), so I know how to read...>.<
Hope you understand.. because I'm a bit confusing sometimes..XDD  

Fratalizite

Fashionable Shopper

Asano Wakana

Distinct Phantom

8,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:57 am
My Onee-chan asked if なめ ought to have been なまえ instead because she said she is pretty sure that 'name' in Japanese is 'namae' but she was wondering if なめ was a modern use of 'namae' or a typo?  
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:03 pm
Sakuraoka Yuka
My Onee-chan asked if なめ ought to have been なまえ instead because she said she is pretty sure that 'name' in Japanese is 'namae' but she was wondering if なめ was a modern use of 'namae' or a typo?

Typo. My computer keeps trying to switch back to English halfway through Japanese words. I'll fix it.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:04 pm
limlizette
Starry Starry Fright
limlizette

Oh...I see thanks...so, is 十七歳です mean 17 years old or not? Because I'm Chinese(still learning), so I know how to read...>.<

Yes, that chunk of kanji and hiragana means 17 years old.  
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:08 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Sakuraoka Yuka

Typo. My computer keeps trying to switch back to English halfway through Japanese words. I'll fix it.

Okay. Thank you.  

Asano Wakana

Distinct Phantom

8,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Fratalizite

Fashionable Shopper

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:12 am
Starry Starry Fright
limlizette
Starry Starry Fright
limlizette

Yes, that chunk of kanji and hiragana means 17 years old.

Thank you very much!!!^-^  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:03 pm
はじめまして。わたしのなまえはゆきです。じゅうななさいです。せいとです。こうこうさんえんせいです。わたしのかぞくはちちとははといもうととわたしです。ちちはべんごしです。どうぞよろしく。

hajimemashite. watashi no namae wa yuki desu. jyuu nana sai desu. seito desu. koukou san en sei desu. watashi no kazoku wa chichi to haha to imouto to watashi desu. chichi wa bengoshi desu. douzo yoroshiku.

nice to meet you. my name is yuki. i am 17 years old. i am a student. i am in my third year of highschool. my family is made up of my father, mother, younger sister and me. my father is a lawyer. i hope we get along.

i think i did that right ^^; but is the "en" supposed to be nen?

oh, extra credit. yuki means snow blaugh  

hisoka-kaminalover12

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:26 pm
hisoka-kaminalover12
はじめまして。わたしのなまえはゆきです。じゅうななさいです。せいとです。こうこうさんえんせいです。わたしのかぞくはちちとははといもうととわたしです。ちちはべんごしです。どうぞよろしく。

hajimemashite. watashi no namae wa yuki desu. jyuu nana sai desu. seito desu. koukou san en sei desu. watashi no kazoku wa chichi to haha to imouto to watashi desu. chichi wa bengoshi desu. douzo yoroshiku.

nice to meet you. my name is yuki. i am 17 years old. i am a student. i am in my third year of highschool. my family is made up of my father, mother, younger sister and me. my father is a lawyer. i hope we get along.

i think i did that right ^^; but is the "en" supposed to be nen?

oh, extra credit. yuki means snow blaugh

Another typo... that should read "nen". It's fixed now.

Right you are - Yuki does mean snow. It also happens to be the name of the my one Japanese friend - I met him when he came to Canada as an exchange student - so I'll probably be using that name a lot. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:27 pm
"Nice to meet you. My name is Yuki [note: Yuki is a female because of 私]. I am seventeen years old. I am a (non-college/university) student. I am in my third year of high school. My family is my father, mother, my little sister, and me. My father is a lawyer. I hope we can get along."
Something like that, right?

Kaze no Namida

Homework

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces