Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Vocabulary and Grammar Lessons
JAPANESE Lesson Eight - Honorifics Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:16 pm
I know that a lot of my students are big anime fans, so you have probably got a distorted view of honorifics. This lesson is just to clear up when each honorific is appropriate.

The Golden Rule of Honorifics: When in doubt, use -san.

That's it. If you don't know which honorific to use, stick to -san. It is appropriate in virtually every circumstance you encounter.

Now, let's be real for a moment. I don't really want to make a big deal out of race, but if you are of a non-asian background, native Japanese people won't be too concerned if you use the wrong honorific. Over 97% of permanent residents in Japan are of East Asian descent, and the vast majority of non-asians they meet are clueless tourists. This is even worse if you are white, because they will assume you speak English. English is mandatory in Japanese schools, and as such, most Japanese people speak at least a little English. If they see you, a white person, in Japan, they are going to want to shake your hand and test their English on you. I have a friend who went over to Japan to look for a job six months ago, and he came home because no one would take him seriously, even though he was fluent in Japanese.

The point is, honorifics are not too big of a deal, and if you are unsure, use -san. I will explain the other ones and their correct usage.

-chan. Probably the single most overused of them all. This is something you do not want to use on somebody unless you know them well. Typically, you would use this on a pet, boy/girlfriend, a close female friend or a younger child. If you are going to use it on a friend, they had better be about your age or younger. Remember that the whole point of this honorific is cuteness.

-kun. Generic male honorific. You can use this on male friends, classmates or coworkers. Just be sure you don't use it on someone who is a lot older than you. Younger, fine. Older, not so much.

-sensei. This, contrary to popular belief, is not restricted to teachers. This can also be used on doctors, and anyone older than you who is using their expertise to assist you in some way. Typically, you wouldn't use this on someone younger than yourself, since "sensei" literally means "previously born", as in, "born before oneself".

-sama. Ahh, sama. Most beginners to Japanese don't realize just how formal this is. You use this term only when you need to convert utmost respect to people. You wouldn't use this on your boss; you would want to save this for the President of your company. This would also be used on customers and on people who you have enormous admiration for. When you mail a letter to someone in Japan, you would typically use this honorific on their name in the address.

-domo. This is a very old honorific that is not typically used anymore. Unless you can track down a 16th-century samurai lord, there is no real reason to use it.

-heika. Unless you are having a conversation with the Emperor of Japan, don't use this.

-sempai. This one is given to people with seniority, and is generally used in schools after the name of someone in a higher grade than you are. It can also be used on slightly higher-ranking coworkers or in martial arts Dojos on people who have higher belts than you.

-kouhai. This has the opposite meaning as "sempai", and is typically used as more of an insult or a jest than as a serious honorific. The polite way to address someone in a younger grade is -san.

No honorific at all: There are not a whole lot of people you can address without an honorific. As in, this pretty much applies to only your immediate family. You are expected to use an honorific on the family pet. It is fairly common for married couples to refer to each other as -san. Ceasing to use an honorific is a big step in a relationship, and some people will just never feel comfortable unless they are used.

Using an honorific on yourself is extremely arrogant. Unless you are cooing at a baby, following your own name with any of the honorifics above is not going to make a very good impression.

Also, you want to make sure you never use an honorific that is too formal. If you call one of your teachers -sama, they are going to assume you're being rude and sarcastic. Don't do it.

Above all, remember -san. -San is your friend.  
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:55 pm
There are two lesson 7s.  

x Falsi

Shameless Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:41 pm
x Falsi
There are two lesson 7s.

So there are.... how embarrassing.  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:59 am
Oh I see, the only one I don't know was heika but I don't think I'll need to use it.
I have a friend named Jacqueline but you see we call her Jackie and she likes anime and people that watch anime also call her Jackie Chan.  

this little secret

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:23 pm
knowyourlittlesecret
Oh I see, the only one I don't know was heika but I don't think I'll need to use it.
I have a friend named Jacqueline but you see we call her Jackie and she likes anime and people that watch anime also call her Jackie Chan.

Ahahaha that's clever. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:36 pm
Yeah. Now, to put this down on a notebook. *writes*  

this little secret

x-AkaruiKijo-x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:06 am
Thank you^^ But i do have one question though.When it comes to "-sempai",ive seen it spelled "-senpai" and "-sempai" and ive heard a few people fued over it a little...so which would be correct in your opinion?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:17 pm
xSaphire-Chanx
Thank you^^ But i do have one question though.When it comes to "-sempai",ive seen it spelled "-senpai" and "-sempai" and ive heard a few people fued over it a little...so which would be correct in your opinion?

It's spelled "-senpai". You cannot write "sempai" using Japanese characters. "M" by itself doesn't exist. But when you say it, it's pronounced more like an m. So it's spelled "senpai" but when you say it, it sounds like "sempai". If that makes sense.

The word for pencil is the same. It's spelled "enpitsu" and pronounced "empitsu".  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

x-AkaruiKijo-x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:06 pm
Starry Starry Fright
xSaphire-Chanx

It's spelled "-senpai". You cannot write "sempai" using Japanese characters. "M" by itself doesn't exist. But when you say it, it's pronounced more like an m. So it's spelled "senpai" but when you say it, it sounds like "sempai". If that makes sense.

The word for pencil is the same. It's spelled "enpitsu" and pronounced "empitsu".

Ooh ok i understand now^^
Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:58 pm
Understood 4laugh  

Rihanna Bae

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:38 pm
is this spelled right if you like someone you called them Micheal-kun?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:56 pm
Would it be ok to call one or your friends -sama?  

I Am EarthBound

Dedicated Smoker

12,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:07 pm
Kim Vana
Would it be ok to call one or your friends -sama?

Only jokingly, if they're being a p***k. Using it in day-to-day conversation would make you seem extremely stuck-up, not to mention weird.  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:24 pm
I have a question about "senpai".
If I have a classmate who is a higher year than me, but is in the same class, can he/she still be called senpai?
I don't know when it would ever come up, but I've always wondered.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Yoshie Akira

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:53 am
I understand. smile Does "wakarimasu" mean I understand?  
Japanese Vocabulary and Grammar Lessons

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff