View Results

perphella

Mega Humorist

11,550 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:34 am
I thought it was great! I didn't know half the stuff about paganism that I did after reading this book. It was a great well-written thriller that I've read three times (reading third time right now XD). Tell me your thoughts on it, I'm glad to hear them...as long as you are not trolling...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:38 am
I thought it was really interesting^^. But I just like thrillers, so yeah....

/cue Michael Jackson  

Ncrypt1d Threadkiller

perphella

Mega Humorist

11,550 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:51 am
Lol

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:39 am

rofl rofl

I've only saw the movie, but from what I've seen, it seems pretty interesting. I guess I just like scandal...

Paradoxismminant
Captain

eleanne

4,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:18 pm
As a disloyal Quaker-leaning semi-Catholic, I still have to say that it's pretty unrealistic. I mean, self-flagellation hasn't been practiced for centuries as a church-supported worship method and is only practiced by extremist members of one disfavored extremist sect, different from the one in the book. And can we choose between albino, religious fanatic, and giant?
So other than far wilder inaccuracies than His Dark Materials (one of my favorite series ever, which was actually fairly truthful), it was a fairly nice book. The sequels get a little gimicky though.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:04 pm
Ooh, His Dark Materials was a really good series...I think that's the first book that made me really think.  

Paradoxismminant
Captain

perphella

Mega Humorist

11,550 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:36 am
eleanne
As a disloyal Quaker-leaning semi-Catholic, I still have to say that it's pretty unrealistic. I mean, self-flagellation hasn't been practiced for centuries as a church-supported worship method and is only practiced by extremist members of one disfavored extremist sect, different from the one in the book. And can we choose between albino, religious fanatic, and giant?
So other than far wilder inaccuracies than His Dark Materials (one of my favorite series ever, which was actually fairly truthful), it was a fairly nice book. The sequels get a little gimicky though.

Uhmm...sweetie, did you actually read the book? Dan Brown WAS talking about an extremist. The albino monk was using Opus Dei's way of cleansing to get rid of his sin of killing people. And this book is truthful, he did a lot of research on this stuff.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:41 am
perphella
eleanne

Uhmm...sweetie, did you actually read the book? Dan Brown WAS talking about an extremist. The albino monk was using Opus Dei's way of cleansing to get rid of his sin of killing people. And this book is truthful, he did a lot of research on this stuff.

I wrote this after enduring about an hour and a half of classmates twisting the series to call all Catholics crazy self-mutilating extremists. redface Many people I've talked to honestly think that the monk portrays your average Catholic. It tends to affect my appreciation of a book when readers twist it to mean cruel, bigoted things. I guess I was just tired of people asking if I followed the pope's every command or if I beat myself- but you're right that this wasn't the place to take my anger out and for that I am truly sorry. I still think that some sections of the book are a bit over-the-top, such as the combination of villainous memes for the monk.
I'd also like to correct myself, Opus Dei is the sect that uses that type of self-punishment, though not quite to the monk's intensity.  

eleanne

4,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

Paradoxismminant
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:16 am
Ah, there are misunderstandings everywhere. Unfortunately, the only thing you can really do is try to educate them.

I guess that monk was an...extreme extremist? O_O  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:29 am
Hey its ok eleanne, I would go nuts too if ppl were on my @$$ about my religion too. No worries kk? biggrin  

perphella

Mega Humorist

11,550 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200

eleanne

4,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:08 pm
kk smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:53 pm
I read The Da Vinci Code on a vacation to Costa Rica three years ago.
It was intense from what I remember. I could barely put it down. And I do want to read it again.  

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

perphella

Mega Humorist

11,550 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:05 pm
I've been reading his other books, "Deception Point" and "Digital Fortress." Both very intense.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:00 pm

Are they from the same series? Or companion books, or what?

Paradoxismminant
Captain

perphella

Mega Humorist

11,550 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:34 pm
No, they are stand-alones. No Robert Langdon, just the same author.  
Honk if you love reading!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff