**~** Imbolc **~**

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Naomi Tinuveil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:52 pm

Imbolc

Didn't see a thread so I thought I'd make one; Post here any of your traditions for Imbolc, Recipies, Questioning, and General Conversation. ^_~ Imbolc comes begining of February.

Imbolc is among the February feasts of purification. The festival falls on the Cross Quarter Day marking the midpoint between Winter SOlstice and the Spring Equinox. This Celtic festival begins the evening of February 1st and continues through the next day. Imbolc is understood to mean "purification," however the literal translation is "in the belly" or "in the womb." This has been euphemized to mean "in the Earth" indicating agricultural promise, however, the Celtic deity Brigid who is celebrated on this day is also a spirit of fertility and sexuality. Babies concieved at Beltane would , if brought to full term, be born at this time.

Imbolc is one of hte ancient Celtic pastoral holidays. It celebrates the lambing season and the first lactation of the ewes. An alternative name for Imbolc is Oimele. Which is believed to mean "ewe's milk." Imbolc celebrates the first fluttering of life in Earth's womb, the "quickening" that in the days before pregnancy testing was the first confirmation of pregnancy.

Imbolc is a fire festival celebrating light and new life. Earth awakens Animals like bears and hedgehogs emerge from hibernation. The first spring flowers, like crocuses, begin to peek through the Earth. This is the day when the hedgehog, among Brigid's sacred creatures, comes out of hibernation. Whether it sees its shadow and returns to hibernation or not is believed to foretell the length of winter. (Migrants to North America wishing to return this custom but lacking hedgehogs, substituted ground hogs instead.)

The pagan deity Brigid was assimilated to teh Roman Catholic Church as St. Brigid. February 1st is her official feast day and is believed to be her birthday. Coincidentally perhaps, the goddess and the saint accept identical offerings.

Brigid's pagan epithets include "Fiery Arrow," "The Bright One," "The Flame Without Ashes," and "Moon Crowned Queen of the Undying Flame." She is a spirit of healing, poetry, music, and smithcraft. She is the matron of artist, poets, craftspeople, and livestock. She may manifest as a pillar of fire or, alternately, a flame may shoot from her head. She is also sometimes depicted with her serpent wrapped around her head like a wreath. Her sacred animals include cattle, horses, wolves, and snakes.

St. Brigid also has profound associations with fire. In one story she carried a burning coal in her apron but miraculously doesn't burn. In another, flames shoot out of her ehad or engulf her but miraculously she is not burned.

Offerings to Brigid include poetry written in her honor, dishes of milk and blackberries as well as offerings given on behalf of her sacred creatrues. On Imbolc Eve, it was traditional in Ireland to place a loaf of bread on the windowsill for Brigid, together with an ear of corn for the white cow with red ears who is her traveling comanion. Sheaves of wheat are woven into x-shaped crosses known as "Brigid's Crosses" and hung from the rafters to serve as protection from fire and lightning.

~Elemental Encyclopedia of Witchcraft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:07 am

I've never actually had a chance to celebrated Imbolc... I think this year I would have tried, but I never have anyone to celebrate with, nor the time off in order to be able to. I still make offerings, all the time. (There's a pistacio nut on my altar that is an offering to whomever will accept it, and I'll bury it when I'm sure I know one of my Gods has done just that.)

The thing is, my Patron God is Dionysus, and my Patroness is Diana. They both called to me within a very short period of time, and neither has relinquished hold on me. And I love them both.
Of course, some how I've gotten in the favor of Eris, as she's replied to a few of my spells. (She kept me from getting pregnant when I had a scare, and she's helped me with a few other things.)

I think, however, that this year I'm going to try and celebrate at least one Sabbat. I acknowledge them, and I say prayer on those days, if I get a chance to. But I haven't had the time to actually hold circle, and I'm the only Witch, and the only Pagan, that I know in my city. And I'm very bad with social situations. I'm horribly shy.

And I thnk I'm going to have even less time, now that I have a job working at a Sushi Bar... ^^;;

Winter Black
Crew

LadyAset

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:14 pm

Oh i feel So bad this year For imbolc....I did not DO anything cause i was so busy! Well I'll make up for it May day!..i usually have to celacrate imbolc in solitude, Which is Really spirtual but i'd rather be with others!...i guess i missed out on conecting with Bridget!..hope you had a great Imbolc!.Blessed Be
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:17 pm

I thought this was a pretty pic for Bridgets Fire!

User Image

LadyAset

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:21 pm

LadyAset
Oh i feel So bad this year For imbolc....I did not DO anything cause i was so busy! Well I'll make up for it May day!..i usually have to celacrate imbolc in solitude, Which is Really spirtual but i'd rather be with others!...i guess i missed out on conecting with Bridget!..hope you had a great Imbolc!.Blessed Be
You can always connect to her, or other dieties. People just like to set days aside according to man's concept of order and time.
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games