Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gundams and Randomness!

Back to Guilds

A guild for anyone that loves mech, anime, or roleplaying, or even just being random! 

Tags: Anime, Mecha, Gundam, Roleplay, Close-knit 

Reply Mecha Discussion
Gundam Wing vs Gundam SEED Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:02 pm
Which do you think is better? Personally I favor Wing because to me, SEED just seems like a total ripoff of the original Gundam series.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 pm
I've only, uh, watched a good few episodes of each. But I think Wing is pretty good.  

Ty Gwynnia
Vice Captain

Beloved Dark Elf

10,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Battle Hardened 150

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Damn right Wing is good!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm
Yeah! *High-five*  

Ty Gwynnia
Vice Captain

Beloved Dark Elf

10,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Battle Hardened 150

Where is Carmen Sandiego

Unstoppable Genius

35,025 Points
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Married 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:36 pm
Of corse Wing rules. heart
It was the first Gundam I watched.

I just couldn't get into SEED.
Kira was a bit winy if i remember correctly.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 pm
I watched about half the series, and any fight where he actually did anything he cried afterwards. Threw me away from it. Also battery powered mobile suits? No thanks, I'll stick with the norm, or GN Drives  

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Silas Parrish
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:46 pm
I never cared for SEED, myself. Gundam Wing always has been and probably always will be the best, in my humble opinion. Not only does it have the deepest story I have ever seen in an anime, but I think the mecha are just awesome. Perfect blends of form and function. The newer Gundams are seriously over-stylized.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:20 pm
Actually, the mecha in 00 are more functional, look at the Flag or Enact. Even the barbaric suits like the Tieren are possible. Of course we won't power them through GN drives, but there is a possibility for power transmission through radio waves.  

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Silas Parrish
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:48 am
Dude, those things are totally spindly-looking. Considering the use of RL materials, nothing exists to make those things the least bit plausible. And the GN drive is purely fictional. Also, its operation doesn't make a bit of sense. Fusion reactors exist and are operational (albeit not plausible for portable use, and still in the infant stages of research. But they are operational!)  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:43 am
Current materials wouldn't be suitable. Carbon nano-tubes are a plausible material to use. The talk about that being one of the main armor components in the suits.  

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Silas Parrish
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:46 am
Nano-tubes aren't a scientific catch all, and they are mostly fictional at this point. Also, carbon is very brittle. The moment you put something as heavy as a mecha against a thruster powerful enough to move it (also a virtual impossibility) they will snap like really expensive popsicle sticks.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:51 am
Quote:
Strength

Carbon nanotubes are the strongest and stiffest materials yet discovered in terms of tensile strength and elastic modulus respectively. This strength results from the covalent sp² bonds formed between the individual carbon atoms. In 2000, a multi-walled carbon nanotube was tested to have a tensile strength of 63 gigapascals (GPa)[17]. (This, for illustration, translates into the ability to endure tension of a weight equivalent to 6422 kg on a cable with cross-section of 1 mm2.) Since carbon nanotubes have a low density for a solid of 1.3 to 1.4 g·cm−3,[18] its specific strength of up to 48,000 kN·m·kg−1 is the best of known materials, compared to high-carbon steel's 154 kN·m·kg−1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube

proof that they are strong enough to use, if grown enough, as a viable building material, possibly as armor or supportive parts. I love science.  

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Silas Parrish
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:55 am
You missed one minor detail. Those numbers don't apply to a larger scale. Also, there is no way to manufacture structures that large out of nanotubes. And if you interlace them with another material, then that tensile strength counts for nothing and the extraneous materials will break at all the weak points around the nanotube structures. Anyways, I was talking about the way the mecha on 00 look. They look completely retarded and impractical.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:57 am
I see your point on large structures and raise you this:
Quote:
Structural

Because of the carbon nanotube's superior mechanical properties, many structures have been proposed ranging from everyday items like clothes and sports gear to combat jackets and space elevators.[92] However, the space elevator will require further efforts in refining carbon nanotube technology, as the practical tensile strength of carbon nanotubes can still be greatly improved.[18]

For perspective, outstanding breakthroughs have already been made. Pioneering work led by Ray H. Baughman at the NanoTech Institute has shown that single and multi-walled nanotubes can produce materials with toughness unmatched in the man-made and natural worlds

They don't look as bad as Turn A. The mustached mobile suit.  

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Silas Parrish
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:01 am
"Unmatched" does not mean "unbreakable." And I don't see anything regarding the tensile strength of large structures. Other than "can still be greatly improved." Sounds to me like it still isn't good enough for anything large-scale.  
Mecha Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff