Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arawath

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:28 pm
Okay, I've read all about the SCA--the events, the battles, the kingdoms, the garb--and I'm thoroughly captivated. However, how do I jump in? I know there's a group near me (the Principality of the Mists, in West), but how do I get involved? Is it appropriate to just show up?

I'd also like to know what your guys' day-to-day membership entails. How often you meet, how many people you meet with, the things you do...basically, what it's like for you to be in the SCA.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:07 am
Yep, feel free to just jump in whenever you like! Many people that I know find it easiest, if they don't know anyone already in the SCA, to attend a practice first-that way, you don't need to have garb right off the bat, and you can meet people when they aren't (generally) rushing about to do ten million things all at once. That doesn't mean that you can't jump straight in and go to an event right off the bat, though-just expect that people will probably be a tad busier, though still friendly and generally willing to help out if you need it. Some groups, though I don't know about yours, hold Newcomer's meetings a few times a month. These are great as there is usually a mix of new people and 'oldbies' who are more than willing to share stories and help out.

My membership in the SCA..well, since I've started college, it's lessened a little. Right now, since it's the winter, there's fewer events so I go to whatever ones I can. In the spring and summer, I tend to go to an event every other weekend or so, time (and travel budget!) constraints allowing. I go to rapier practice once a week. When I started, practice was really well attended. It tapered off a LOT, but it's starting to pick up again. So, the number of people there varies. One thing that's important to mention is there's no required amount of participation in the SCA-you can event every weekend, or only go to one feast a year. How much you do is entirely up to you.

I hope I've helped out somewhat. Welcome to the guild, by the way, and feel free to PM me anytime smile  

Arithrel
Crew

Arawath

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:21 pm
Thank you thank you thank you, this is very helpful! 3nodding One other thing: who should I contact to ask about going to a practice? Would that be the chatelaine?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:39 pm
Arawath
Thank you thank you thank you, this is very helpful! 3nodding One other thing: who should I contact to ask about going to a practice? Would that be the chatelaine?

The best way to find this info is on your Principality's website. From there, you should be able to find out what barony, shire, or whatever is nearest to you, which may have a website as well, and one of these websites should have a fighter's practice calendar.  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Mistress_Pooky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:26 am
The Chatelaine would be a great person to talk to. They can give you info and tell you who to talk to. Also, they can give the fighters a bit of warning that they may have a newbie coming. smile  
Newcomers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games