Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Robed vs. Skyclad Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you typically wear for ritual work?
Robe/Cloak- It's all about the mystical
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Normal clothes, but set aside for ritual- Keepin' it simple
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Whatever- Makes no never mind to me
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
Mix and match- Depends on my mood/Doesn't really matter
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
Skyclad- Workin' in the buff
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:20 pm

This is a curiosity of mine that's been rekindled by my own practice lately, and I know it typically sparks controversy within the Pagan community when it's brought up, but I'm curious to see how guild members feel about the practice of performing a ritual skyclad, or ritual garments.

When I first started reading up on Wicca, there were no uncertain terms: You had to be skyclad to perform a ritual effectively, which made me very uncomfortable. At the time, I was in my mid teens, and was (and am still) very uncomfortable with my own body. Not to mention the potential threat of my parents walking in on me. As I read more, I was reassured that it was completely my choice whether I went skyclad or not, but I was instructed that I should have special clothes reserved specifically for ritual. They didn't have to be extravagant robes and cloaks and gowns; just something I didn't wear every day, and that I could set aside as special. I did that for a while, but I found it to be inconvenient.

Now that I've managed to grow in experience and wisdom, I can appreciate the idea behind specific ritual clothing (or lack there of) and its correlation to magic: It begins the shift in consciousness required for effective casting, it marks a transition from the mundane into the sacred or mystical. However, I've had just as successful results wearing my cloak as I have with the same jeans and t-shirt I wore all day.

Skyclad offered a new experience altogether. Having a home off campus, and knowing that my room mates were either sound asleep (forewarned of my impending spell working at midnight) or away for the weekend, I afforded myself the opperunity to experiment last night, and stripped down to my skin. There was something freeing about facing the Divine like that, and I have yet to find something to make me feel sexier than being bare breasted in the candle light and wielding a sword and made the mental shift that much easier.

There's been a definate, and perhaps necessary shift in how we practise magic. Once upon a time, whether you were in a coven or a solitare, you practised in the buff. Now it seems we're moving away from that as a community. But does clothing, or the lack there of, really play a significant role in magic? Do any of you have ritual clothes (not jewlery)?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:32 pm

i'm not yet a wiccan (damn parents) but if i was in a coven (which i'm not allowed to do) i dont think i would be comfortable going sky clad. i might when i have a room away from my parents with a lock but for now i dont hav any special clothing (or an altar) but i plan on getting a robe (i think)

darkviewoflife13

Mina Beltara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:06 pm

I don't have anything special that I wear, it's normally what I'm already in. But if I did get "dressed up" it would probably be in my cloak with some of my ren faire dresses because it makes me feel connected to the old. I have one dress in particular that I set aside as the dress I wear when I want to go in faire as a priestess.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:14 pm

darkviewoflife13
i'm not yet a wiccan (damn parents) but if i was in a coven (which i'm not allowed to do) i dont think i would be comfortable going sky clad.

I think most covens have done away with practicing skyclad for legal issues. I know I've read up on a number of cases where there have been sexual abuse/assualt charges laid in the past when covens were skyclad. Seems a few high priests and other coven members for a little too friendly... stare

The Bookwyrm
Crew

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:15 pm

failesaich
I don't have anything special that I wear, it's normally what I'm already in. But if I did get "dressed up" it would probably be in my cloak with some of my ren faire dresses because it makes me feel connected to the old. I have one dress in particular that I set aside as the dress I wear when I want to go in faire as a priestess.

I'd love to get a few ren dresses, but they're on the someday list. They're regretably very hard to find, expensive when you do find them, and I am completely lacking any sort of skill with a sewing machine. sweatdrop
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:25 pm

Gypsy Blue

I'd love to get a few ren dresses, but they're on the someday list. They're regretably very hard to find, expensive when you do find them, and I am completely lacking any sort of skill with a sewing machine. sweatdrop

Yep, ren is a very expensive habit. I was lucky that my favorite dress was given to me by my ren family as a graduation gift years ago and my next two dresses are being made by a friend. We're bartering, she's making the dresses and I'm going to do her website when she gets ready.

A quick fix is going to thrift stores and getting long and flowy garments. It's also a very good way to do gypsy. And yes, I know, it got it off topic. ^_^ Sorries!

To see my ren dress, it's in my journal at: Here.

Mina Beltara

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:32 pm

No, no! You're not off topic. We're still talking about garments that can be used magically, and you've brought up the great point that they don't have to be expensive or exact. I know there's a huge market that's sprung up because so many Pagans want ritual wear (or everyday wear) that's more... rustic to the extreme, let's say. I know I'm one of them, and I will as soon as I can afford it. I'll someday teach Children's Lit, lecturing on fairy tales, looking like I came straight from the pages of one. ^^

And the dress is beautiful 3nodding

Man, I always find so much to say when I should be working on papers...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:38 pm

I'm lucky that mom can do some basic sewing. I can't, straight lines and me don't play well together. But even Wal-Mart is getting back into carrying peasant and tiered skirts. Basic is coming back into popularity.

A nice dream site though for some really nice dresses is Pyramid Collection.

Mina Beltara

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:45 pm

Some of those are absolutely gorgeous! I'd never be able to wear half of it, though. Most of those cuts are made for very petite women, and I'm very full figured; ample belly, bussom, buttocks and hips. I think it would take either a great deal of hunting, or something custom before I'd find something that both fits and looks as good as it should. A bustier or corset should help deal with the belly issues, it's just to make the rest fall in to place.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:48 pm

My problem is that I'm not big enough on top to wear even the smalls in 4/6/8. But they're still fun. ^_^

Mina Beltara

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:53 pm

Never a middle ground, ne? We're always too small or too big, and never just right. blaugh
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:56 pm

Yep. ^_^ It's why we have to be pirates and mix and match. Take something from one to add to another. ^_^

Mina Beltara

FireonYce
Vice Captain

Jeering Lunatic

14,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:13 pm

I have a gold robe set that is awsome. Its gold crushed velvet. It cost me $30.00 a yardto make and it took 6 yards. Its dry clean only and I also have a ritual circlet with the wings of Isis and a Pentagram on them. They are for extremley special ocassions. xp

Normally for ritual I wear my gold and green cloak. Of courxe everything I have i made myself. 3nodding
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:12 pm

Erm, forgive me for being a newbie, but what's a ren dress? What's skyclad? From the sound of what you guys are saying, it sounds like skyclad = nude. ._. ...Yeah. But a ren dress sounds cool.

Kuroyue

Mina Beltara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:19 pm

Ren dress is just a dress that you wear to a renassiance faire. I got from anywhere between a priestess, pirate (I'm the figurehead of the privateer ship I belong to), wench (in the International Wenches Guild along with the Fellowship of Royal Privateers), fae/nymph, or gypsy.
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff