Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Random Trivia - Points of Interest Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mina Beltara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:38 pm
Amethyst comes from the Greek "amethystos," meaning "not drunken." In Greek myths, Amethyst was a pure young girl who refused to get drunk, thus uncurring the wrath of Dionysus, the god of joviality. To protect her from his wrath, the goddess Artemis (the fact card I have says Diana) turned her into quartz. Dionysus later regretted his actions and knocked over his wine goblet in despair, staining the quartz purple.

~From Mind Body Spirit fact cards  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:52 pm
The saying "to meditate upon St. Joseph" can be humerously taken to mean to take a nap.  

Jameta
Captain

Mina Beltara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:56 pm
Diamonds to the Greeks where King of Stones and India they can be called "vajras" or thunderbolts. Even in medieval Italy they were thought to be solifified pieces of thunderbolts.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:02 pm
Points on quartz....

Crystal comes from the greek work "krystallos" which means ice since in ancient times it was though that the stone were permanent ice.

Quartz comes from the Old Saxon word "querklufterz" which means "cross-veined ore."  

Mina Beltara

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:43 pm
I like the amethyst one xd That's hilarious  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:49 pm
I have a pagan mailing list for my ren faire pirates, and one of them replied with this update to amethyst:

Quote:
"Techinically: Diana as most of us know her is the Celtic diety that evolved from the Tuatha de Danaan. Artemis would have turned people to crystal, Diana would not."

Mina Beltara

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:03 pm
Wow, I must be really out of the loop; I never knew Diana was Celtic in origin. I knew of Dana, from whom the Tuath de Dannan descended from, but I've never seen a correlation between the two. Diana was a virgin huntress and a lunar goddess; Dana was a mother goddess and a deity of earth/water. confused  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:10 pm
I think it goes in with all the triple aspects or that's at least how Mel sees the pantheons and influences. ^_^  

Mina Beltara

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:12 pm
And if we want to get really picky, there's a conenction between everything. wink  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:26 am
failesaich
I think it goes in with all the triple aspects or that's at least how Mel sees the pantheons and influences. ^_^

Phew! That clears things up! A personal interpretation certainly explains a lot in that connection, and has reassured me that I havn't missed something that important in my Celtic studies. It would have been a wasted three years if I had. sweatdrop

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:02 am
failesaich
Okay, now I'm really confused, I thought that Diana was simply the Roman reiteration of Artemis...  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:41 am
Nihilistic Seraph
Okay, now I'm really confused, I thought that Diana was simply the Roman reiteration of Artemis...

I think it's just the way that my friend interprets the conversions. She has a very unique way of looking at things.

I haven't studied Greek or Roman yet, so I can't say. Greek is one pantheon that was going to start studying, but not Roman. I was never for Rome. ^_^  

Mina Beltara

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:11 am
failesaich
Nihilistic Seraph

I think it's just the way that my friend interprets the conversions. She has a very unique way of looking at things.

I haven't studied Greek or Roman yet, so I can't say. Greek is one pantheon that was going to start studying, but not Roman. I was never for Rome. ^_^

Really, you wouldn't need to study anything Roman, since it's an almost identical pantheon. The only major difference is in names. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:26 pm
Finding pennies doesn't just mean your a cent richer- some believe it means a passed-loved one is watching out for you.

Grandma Linda and Opa like to line my pockets with copper. whee  

Jameta
Captain

Mina Beltara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:07 pm
It is said that if you misalign the buttons on a shirt or sweater then it's best to unbutton and take the garment off and then put it back on or risk bad luck while wearing it.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff