Welcome to Gaia! ::

Geocaching Guild

Back to Guilds

A high tech treasure hunting game using handheld GPS units. 

Tags: geocaching, hiking, camping, treasure, adventure 

Reply Geocaching Guild
Placed My First Cache

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

First cache
  is a b***h
View Results

7raindrops

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:49 pm
I placed my first cache. And perhaps there is a reason there are no caches in this park. It is in a valley along a creek surrounded by trees. SO satillites are hard to fix on. Very hard, impossible basically.

And it's a micro. Please don't tell anyone who is currently looking for it where it is.

SaucyRossy and I placed it along the creek in the roots of a tree. We tied fishing line so that the black bison tube hangs down into the knot.

Is this too hard? is it not hard enough? What can we do to make this better? Not one person has found it, despite the fact that it's been active for a week.

We have updated coords about three times, and the hints, and the description. We upped the difficulty from a 2.5 to a 3.5.

Should people complain when a difficult hide is well difficult to find?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:51 pm
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2d55d79e-396e-4312-81ee-87012ea21714

here's the link GC2AP7M  

7raindrops

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:50 pm
Congratulations on your first hide. If the satellite reception is bad then a micro in the woods may be considered as adding rubbing salt in the wound to some. A common lament heard at the geocache gatherings I go to is "don't you hate micros in the woods?"

I don't mind so much so long as there isn't a hundred places it could be in the the area, given that an average GPS accuracy is only about 18 feet in the woods.

What you have to worry about is a string of "could not finds" that eventually leads a cacher to hang a "needs maintenance" tag on your cache which could lead to "temporarily disabled" tag from the local cache approver/reviewer for your area.

Ammo boxes or large tupperwares are much preferred in the woods. Tupperware should be of the "never used" variety since even the scent from a well washed, previously used tupperware can attract the attention of raccoons or other critters who have no problem opening the containers and scattering the contents.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:37 pm
someone finally found it. haha, and yeah there is one guy who has been snarky about a micro in the woods. It's actually not in the woods, it's just near the woods  

7raindrops

7raindrops

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:02 pm
Found out you can adverage waypoints to find an accurate (well slightly more so) coords for caches that you place  
Geocaching Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games