Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
Cunningham: Earth Power

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:53 pm
I've recently been picking up quite a few old books off've a local auction website for cheaps. Because it's not pricey I can kind of go a bit mad on stuff I might not ordinarily buy, but there's some good stuff in there too.

I picked up "Earth Power" just the other day and it arrived this morning. Has anyone else read it? What are your thoughts?

Thus far it seems like a bit of a rush job. Maybe that's just me skipping over bits I've heard a thousand times before, but the little amount of space Cunningham gives to this or that concept, and how small the book is, makes it seem a bit rushed. Given how thin the book is, I'm not sure all the pictures are necessary. That space would have been much better utilised with words. Those pictures, and the tone and briefness with which he's hitting things at this point, make it seem like it's aimed more at a child than an adult.

The general Cunningham love-and-light stuff is to be expected, and so easily tolerated if you have the stomach to do so.

On the other hand, the folk focus is refreshing. It's very... rapid in the text proper, but the way it hits this and this and this is reminiscent of a simple source book rather than one created to educate in a wider sense. This might be why the intro chapters were so rushed; perhaps Llewellyn told him after he'd written the manuscript that they wanted a little something in the way of instruction so that someone unfamiliar with witchcraft could jump right in. I'm giving Cunningham the benefit of the doubt here beause the intro doesn't seem like him.

Overall I think I like it so far. The "educational" bits are easily overlooked or discarded and the bulk of the text is very much along my own style of witchcraft. It's nice to get some inspiration for new spell ideas.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:03 pm
I quite enjoyed that book. I even bought a second copy when I thought I lost the first one. But I found the first one, so I have two copies now.
xd

But you're right it almost seems rushed. Not his usual stuff, but it's better if you also buy his
Ear, Air, Fire & Water:More Techniques of Natural Magic

I also appreciate the spelling of Magic over Magick, like most authors I've seen use. Both books are quite awesome.

Artistic Genocide

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:41 am
Well, I'm not sure when the book was originally published, but I noticed that the Llewellyn version was published in 2002 - and Cunningham died in 1993.

I think that for the most part (especially considering that they just put out a "new" Cunningham book this past year), they are possibly taking material of his from various sources (unpublished manuscripts, etc...) and slapping it together in books under his name.

I haven't actually read it, so I can't comment on the book itself one way or the other. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:46 am
Nah, mine's copyright says 1983. 24th printing, 1998 ^_^  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:39 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Nah, mine's copyright says 1983. 24th printing, 1998 ^_^

That's good to know.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:38 am
The book isn't meant to be particularly educational, and I wouldn't recommend it for a student trying to understand the deeper theories or religious aspects entailed with magic. Admittedly, his writing style (like most popular neo-pagan authors) is dumbed down and he repeats himself a lot, even within the same paragraph. I think some of the spell info could have also been omitted if there was a more thorough explanation of how magical association and symbolism works.

However, I really do like a lot of the things he has in there and I also find it inspirational. I actually enjoy the artwork a lot and found it to be a nice addition to the text. It's a simple book, and it's not meant to be anything more. It's very practical and could be utilized by anybody who has a connection with nature and an interest in magic. I like how he keeps things short and doesn't fill half the book with long and unnecessary ritual formats. Right now I'm copying a few things into my journal, and then I would like to give it as a gift.  

Violet fira

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:32 am
Violet fira
I wouldn't recommend it for a student trying to understand the deeper theories or religious aspects entailed with magic.

Please explain - what are the religious aspects of magic?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:30 am
By religion I mean a system of spiritual beliefs and/or mythologies governing someone’s view of the world, or at least a system of rituals or practices interconnected with mythology. A persons understanding of what magic is, how it works, and how to use it, will more often than not be influenced by their religion, if they have one. I don’t mean to say that you need to have a religion to practice magic. I think I meant that this is pretty much a general neo-pagan spell book, not a book on the history or practices of magic from a religion or particular culture. And while there’s a basic how to guide in the beginning, it just sort of scratches the surface on how magic works, from his own viewpoint.  

Violet fira

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:11 am
Violet fira
By religion I mean a system of spiritual beliefs and/or mythologies governing someone’s view of the world, or at least a system of rituals or practices interconnected with mythology. A persons understanding of what magic is, how it works, and how to use it, will more often than not be influenced by their religion, if they have one. I don’t mean to say that you need to have a religion to practice magic. I think I meant that this is pretty much a general neo-pagan spell book, not a book on the history or practices of magic from a religion or particular culture. And while there’s a basic how to guide in the beginning, it just sort of scratches the surface on how magic works, from his own viewpoint.

Ah, I see. You phrased it a strange way, like there was an aspect of magic itself that was filed under "religion" or something, and I was confused.

Actually I think if you take out the Llewellynesque "omg nature" introduction, it could be used by non-Pagans quite happily as well, for the most part.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:02 pm
I like Cunningham's books. He does repeat himself a bit, but so does every author of all genres of books out there, and seems simple, but he's still good to learn from for certain things.  

Angel Bruja

DemoniaFairy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:18 am
Sanguina Cruenta

Thus far it seems like a bit of a rush job. Maybe that's just me skipping over bits I've heard a thousand times before, but the little amount of space Cunningham gives to this or that concept, and how small the book is, makes it seem a bit rushed. Given how thin the book is, I'm not sure all the pictures are necessary. That space would have been much better utilised with words. Those pictures, and the tone and briefness with which he's hitting things at this point, make it seem like it's aimed more at a child than an adult.

The general Cunningham love-and-light stuff is to be expected, and so easily tolerated if you have the stomach to do so.

On the other hand, the folk focus is refreshing. It's very... rapid in the text proper, but the way it hits this and this and this is reminiscent of a simple source book rather than one created to educate in a wider sense. This might be why the intro chapters were so rushed; perhaps Llewellyn told him after he'd written the manuscript that they wanted a little something in the way of instruction so that someone unfamiliar with witchcraft could jump right in. I'm giving Cunningham the benefit of the doubt here beause the intro doesn't seem like him.

Overall I think I like it so far. The "educational" bits are easily overlooked or discarded and the bulk of the text is very much along my own style of witchcraft. It's nice to get some inspiration for new spell ideas.

I bought this book about a month ago and I feel the same way.
I felt like he left out alot and now I am left with all these gaps and unanswered questions... Other than that it was a decent read.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:59 pm
DemoniaFairy
I bought this book about a month ago and I feel the same way.
I felt like he left out alot and now I am left with all these gaps and unanswered questions... Other than that it was a decent read.

I don't think it was really intended to answer questions. Personally I would have rathered if he left out the information at the beginning entirely. But if it raised questions, someone here may be able to answer them.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games