Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply Sims Q&A and Help
Downloading???

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The FoxyTrot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:28 am
Ok. On my old comp I had a lot of things for the Sims downloaded. And I got lots of viruses. But I have a new laptop now, and I'm just wondering if downloading things for the sims will give me a virus, or if I got a virus from something else. So will I get a virus if I download some stuff for The Sims???  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:58 am
There is always a risk of getting a virus from ANYTHING downloaded from the internet if you are not careful.
The Sims community is generally very good when it comes to viruses so I would hazard it was something else.
If you are unsure then always make sure you run a virus check on the items before you open them.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

The FoxyTrot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:13 pm
Menaceman
There is always a risk of getting a virus from ANYTHING downloaded from the internet if you are not careful.
The Sims community is generally very good when it comes to viruses so I would hazard it was something else.
If you are unsure then always make sure you run a virus check on the items before you open them.

How do I run a virus check?

Oh, and sorry about posting this question twice in two different forums, for some reason this one didn't come up on my comp so I thought it didn't post  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:45 pm
If you right-click on the file your computer should give you the option to run it through whatever anti-virus program you have installed on your machine.
I use AVG and when I right-click am given the option to "Scan with AVG".
If you don't have any anti-virus programs installed yet then you probably already have a virus just from accessing the internet.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

xe brat prince

Questionable Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:50 pm
As Menaceman said, it's likely not from any sims CC. Although, if you're on some sketchy sites it may be. Some sims sites are really haphazard, you need to pick and choose what sites you think are good.

Also, as Menaceman said, scanning everything before you open is good. AVG works well, and I'd also suggest Norton Antivirus (which isn't free).
I had Norton on my old computer, and that thing was like a steel door to the viruses.

Good luck and happy simming. <3

Sims Q&A and Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff