Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
AK versus AR

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:34 am
Do we already have one of these? If so, it's probably quite old. If not, I think it's about time to stir the pot. Sometimes healthy debate is good to reaffirm one's current ideals and gain perspective on the other camp. So yeah: go.

User Image

Great picture, I thought. Also, no poll because one should back up one's choice with information on why. Also, to clarify, the ideal here is to compare the civilian versions of the various models of the two broad types. So the M-16's poor reliability in Vietnam has no bearing on this debate.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:27 am
User Image

Thumbnail'd.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Shrantic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:25 am
Depends on who you are.

If you're a soldier of a rich military shooting brown people to liberate other brown people, then the M4/M16 will serve you far better than any AK variant.

If you're an illiterate brown conscript fighting a revolution to liberate your fellow brown people and have no formal training, the AK-47 should be your weapon of choice.

If you're a civilian choosing between an AK variant and an AR-15, the AR-15 should always win hands down. They're more expensive, but for that extra cost, you get a far better gun. The trigger doesn't feel like there's sand jammed in it, the gun can shoot <2MOA, the sight radius is several inches longer, the gun's lighter, the gun's more ergonomic, etc.

Only thing the AK has over an AR is reliability, and for anyone who won't be subjecting their rifle to downright stupid abuse, that's not an issue.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:30 am
The first firearm I ever shot was a WASR 10. Later that day I shot a target AR with a 24 inch barrel. Every time I pulled the trigger on the AR it sounded like it was going to kB! But the WASR sounded very solid.

I loved shooting the AK. I love the look of the AK series of weapons, and I'm left handed, so the controls don't bother me. I like the AK more than the AR, but I still like the AR series of weapons.  

OO23OO

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:07 pm
Having shot both I prefer the AR over the AK

1) ARs are more ergonomic
2) They feel more solid to me
3) Virtually NO felt recoil
4) All over better design
5) Piston conversions are available for about the same price as just about any Aimpoint or Eotech that the USMilitary uses, which can make the somewhat finicky AR just as reliable as the AK while still maintaining all the great attributes of the AR.

The only thing that the AK offers over the AR is stopping power, but even that can be countered with a 6.5 or a 6.8 upper  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:20 am
As said before, the only thing the AK has over the M16 is cost, reliability and stopping power, and the latter two are negligible if you know what you're doing.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Shrantic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:01 am
Requiem in Mortis
As said before, the only thing the AK has over the M16 is cost, reliability and stopping power, and the latter two are negligible if you know what you're doing.
As is the first, depending on what AK you get. Bargain bin AR's can be cheaper than, say, an Arsenal SGL 21. (And having fired a cheap WASR-10, I'd have to say a quality AK is the only kind I'd buy. I'm just not going to pay 300-400 dollars for a gun that's so lacking in fit/finish.)

$600 AR-15.
$700 AK variant.

Of course, I do realize that to get an AR-15 to the level of reliability/stopping power of an AK, you'll probably end up spending more unless you just straight up build your own.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:10 pm
Rocky Sassoon
Requiem in Mortis
As is the first, depending on what AK you get. Bargain bin AR's can be cheaper than, say, an Arsenal SGL 21. (And having fired a cheap WASR-10, I'd have to say a quality AK is the only kind I'd buy. I'm just not going to pay 300-400 dollars for a gun that's so lacking in fit/finish.)

$600 AR-15.
$700 AK variant.

Of course, I do realize that to get an AR-15 to the level of reliability/stopping power of an AK, you'll probably end up spending more unless you just straight up build your own.
Why does that AK-47 have an AK-74 style flash hider?  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Shrantic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:20 am
Requiem in Mortis
Rocky Sassoon
Requiem in Mortis

$600 AR-15.
$700 AK variant.

Why does that AK-47 have an AK-74 style flash hider?
'Cause they work good? I'unno.

I actually think it's a muzzle break.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:53 am
The link you provided is for a Saiga. These are sport ak action rifles. Ie a civie legal ak nothing more. These rifles are chambered in a variety of rounds from 12 gauge to .223 Remington. Here's a pro tip for you: If has the name Saiga that means one thing it is a rifle made by Izmash. So it's pure Russian quality.

I find it very strange that the links show a top of the line AK compared to a bargain basement AR.

The difference between the two is that AK sight's suck, it has a shorter barrel, and a heavier action which will throw the rifle to the upper right. The AR has a better line of sight, smaller action which can cause more stoppages, and is nothing more than a Lego set that can go bang.

I believe that an AK is the better weapon. But AR's are a great system as well. For me at the end of the day I would take an AK.  

yoshiko sama

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:35 pm
Rocky Sassoon
Depends on who you are.

If you're a soldier of a rich military shooting brown people to liberate other brown people, then the M4/M16 will serve you far better than any AK variant.

If you're an illiterate brown conscript fighting a revolution to liberate your fellow brown people and have no formal training, the AK-47 should be your weapon of choice.

If you're a civilian choosing between an AK variant and an AR-15, the AR-15 should always win hands down. They're more expensive, but for that extra cost, you get a far better gun. The trigger doesn't feel like there's sand jammed in it, the gun can shoot <2MOA, the sight radius is several inches longer, the gun's lighter, the gun's more ergonomic, etc.

Only thing the AK has over an AR is reliability, and for anyone who won't be subjecting their rifle to downright stupid abuse, that's not an issue.
my ak74's trigger is more sensitive than my AR15's trigger and it doesnt feel like sand...  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:40 pm
I have an AK47, an AK74 and an AR15...

if I had to choose between any of them in a SHTF situation I would take the AK74.

personal preference.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

090Freak090

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:39 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Rocky Sassoon
Depends on who you are.

my ak74's trigger is more sensitive than my AR15's trigger and it doesnt feel like sand...

i would say that it is time you put a new trigger and springs in your AR then a simple $20 fix. Stock AR triggers should be firm, crisp, and have minimal creep.

Aim has a great deal on 5.45x39 if you are at all interested.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:38 pm
090Freak090
Recon_Ninja_985
Rocky Sassoon
Depends on who you are.

i would say that it is time you put a new trigger and springs in your AR then a simple $20 fix. Stock AR triggers should be firm, crisp, and have minimal creep.

Aim has a great deal on 5.45x39 if you are at all interested.
nah im just using a G2 trigger in my74 and it has quite a few thousand rounds through it already,lol all that trigger pulling must have polished it in a way.

ive only had my AR for about 5 or 6 months also but that doesnt mean im new to the platform by any means. the trigger really doesnt feel any different from an M16 despite that it's a different mechanism.
everything on my AR is milspec which could explain why I cant tell a difference in trigger pull

oh, dude if you wanna find the current best prices for any ammo check this place out

http://www.gun-deals.com/ammo.php  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers