Good Starting Rifle. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Char-pun

Shadowy Rogue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:34 pm
Yes, Im Only 15. But Ive Had a Thing for Guns ever sense I was a Little Girl >.>

But , To the Topic. I live in Cali (( DAM GUN LAWS! )) ,When Im 18 Im planing to Own a Rifle.

Whats a Good one? Ive Looked Around, I like Bolt action or Lever. If Had I a Chance Maybe a Semi-auto..

But, Just Give suggestions on whats Cheap and Good and whats Sucks balls.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:42 pm
Any basic .22lr rifle is great to start with. However, If you could tell us how much you plan on spending and how much experience you have with firearms we could give you better options.

Also, seeing as it will be 2-3yrs until you can legally purchase a rifle availability/legality of some options may change.  

090Freak090

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:02 pm
What Freak said. 22's always a good start.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:08 pm
Yea, In looking around, a 22 Rifle is a Good start, For getting used to the Recoil and Practice.Im looking Somewhere in the Range Of 300 to 650. Yea Maybe the laws will change to own weapon. I have no experience, Plus Getting a License add to the cost. I tend to flinch like some ><, But Playing around with Gun caps and my fake Capgun ( Yes I still Play with Toys LOL ) , Trying to get used to the bang. -edit-  

Char-pun

Shadowy Rogue

090Freak090

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:41 pm
-Moon Fire Liako-
Yea, In looking around, a 22 Rifle is a Good start, For getting used to the Recoil and Practice.Im looking Somewhere in the Range Of 300 to 650. Yea Maybe the laws will change to own weapon. I have no experience, Plus Getting a License add to the cost. I tend to flinch like some ><, But Playing around with Gun caps and my fake Capgun ( Yes I still Play with Toys LOL ) , Trying to get used to the bang. -edit-

With .22lr there really isn't a bad choice and with that price range you could get anything between cheep ~150 bolt gun or a ~500 M&P 15-22  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:00 pm
An SKS. Inexpensive, fun, and completely California legal. Doesn't kick hard, but you can still train yourself to handle recoil. I don't think you could use a .22 to get used to recoil because quite frankly, there is none. The gun shakes a bit but doesn't help prepare you for anything besides 5.56.  

Shrantic

Char-pun

Shadowy Rogue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:45 pm
Rocky Sassoon
An SKS. Inexpensive, fun, and completely California legal. Doesn't kick hard, but you can still train yourself to handle recoil. I don't think you could use a .22 to get used to recoil because quite frankly, there is none. The gun shakes a bit but doesn't help prepare you for anything besides 5.56.
I Would Get One >-<, But How Much a Fiberglass One would Run + Tactical Rails and Fore Grip?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:07 pm
-Moon Fire Liako-
Rocky Sassoon
I Would Get One >-<, But How Much a Fiberglass One would Run + Tactical Rails and Fore Grip?
I'unno, but they make thousands of accessories for the SKS. All that'd probably run you about 150 dollars. I think you should try the gun out before you buy stuff it doesn't really need, though.  

Shrantic

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:07 pm
-Moon Fire Liako-
Rocky Sassoon

There are plenty of aftermarket stocks available for the SKS in polymer with various accouterments. All mostly unnecessary, but quite common. I specifically recommend a Ruger 10/22 as a starting rifle. They're cheap, easy to use, and .22LR ammunition is incredibly cheap. If you don't want to wait until you're 18, try talking to your parents about being interested in target shooting. Even if they wouldn't go along with it, it's worth taking a shot (pun).

SKS is indeed another good example of a starting gun. It fires the same 7.62x39mm round the AK-47 does, but is semi-automatic and fed by an internal magazine. You can load rounds individually or charge it all at once with a ten-round "stripper clip". Or a lever-action carbine in a pistol caliber like .357 or .44 would be good for starting out. Mosin Nagant fills the cheap bolt-action niche, and is what I plan to buy next. But I'm sure you could find a used, bolt-action .22 at a gun shop for maybe under $100.

If you're unable to get a real gun soon, you could try for a high-powered air rifle or even an airsoft gun. Watered down and not nearly as fun, but you take what you can get, and it can be good practice and enjoyable to use them.

In any case, welcome to the Guild and feel free to ask around if you have any questions about anything gun-related. There's a bunch of good people here with a pretty sizable firearm knowledge base.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:03 pm
ArmasTermin
-Moon Fire Liako-
Rocky Sassoon

There are plenty of aftermarket stocks available for the SKS in polymer with various accouterments. All mostly unnecessary, but quite common. I specifically recommend a Ruger 10/22 as a starting rifle. They're cheap, easy to use, and .22LR ammunition is incredibly cheap. If you don't want to wait until you're 18, try talking to your parents about being interested in target shooting. Even if they wouldn't go along with it, it's worth taking a shot (pun).

SKS is indeed another good example of a starting gun. It fires the same 7.62x39mm round the AK-47 does, but is semi-automatic and fed by an internal magazine. You can load rounds individually or charge it all at once with a ten-round "stripper clip". Or a lever-action carbine in a pistol caliber like .357 or .44 would be good for starting out. Mosin Nagant fills the cheap bolt-action niche, and is what I plan to buy next. But I'm sure you could find a used, bolt-action .22 at a gun shop for maybe under $100.

If you're unable to get a real gun soon, you could try for a high-powered air rifle or even an airsoft gun. Watered down and not nearly as fun, but you take what you can get, and it can be good practice and enjoyable to use them.

In any case, welcome to the Guild and feel free to ask around if you have any questions about anything gun-related. There's a bunch of good people here with a pretty sizable firearm knowledge base.
The Funny Things Is Ive Been In this Guild for a considerable Amount of time XD . My Mom Wont let Get Pellent Gun, Because I might Hurt Myself =p...

I would Probably Start Out Bolt Action, Maybe a 22.. But I like More Bang for My Buck..
I would Probably Working at a Fast food or a Game Stop( I love Games... ) So it Depends If I got time to go the Range, Maybe When I go to College Ill Come Back to Home Town for the Summer and Fire Off a Couple Rounds. If I get a Sks, I would get Aftermarket Tampco removable 10 round Mags. And Look Around For a-non Wood Stock.. When i get Older Ill Start adding Stuff like Scopes and Lasers. Its all my decision On What To buy, Probably Ill start Going around Other Forums Looking up how To hold a rifle and stance. If when In the Future, Ill start Looking around for Hand Guns. Maybe Not a Colt.. Maybe something That Aint Big Or small . But in 45. ACP  

Char-pun

Shadowy Rogue

Shrantic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:14 pm
-Moon Fire Liako-
ArmasTermin
-Moon Fire Liako-
Rocky Sassoon

The Funny Things Is Ive Been In this Guild for a considerable Amount of time XD . My Mom Wont let Get Pellent Gun, Because I might Hurt Myself =p...

I would Probably Start Out Bolt Action, Maybe a 22.. But I like More Bang for My Buck..
I would Probably Working at a Fast food or a Game Stop( I love Games... ) So it Depends If I got time to go the Range, Maybe When I go to College Ill Come Back to Home Town for the Summer and Fire Off a Couple Rounds. If I get a Sks, I would get Aftermarket Tampco removable 10 round Mags. And Look Around For a-non Wood Stock.. When i get Older Ill Start adding Stuff like Scopes and Lasers. Its all my decision On What To buy, Probably Ill start Going around Other Forums Looking up how To hold a rifle and stance. If when In the Future, Ill start Looking around for Hand Guns. Maybe Not a Colt.. Maybe something That Aint Big Or small . But in 45. ACP
Word of advice: Removable tapco magazines are reportedly very unreliable. I highly suggest (if you get an SKS) to just practice with stripper clips until you get really good at loading them.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:40 pm
Rocky Sassoon
God damn it, that reminded me that Big Five is selling an SKS. And that I'm still pissed off at them for that Taiwanese 1911......  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

090Freak090

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:58 am
Try to shoot a few rifles of different calibers before you buy, You could buy an SKS the find that you don't like the semiauto handle. Or you could buy a cheap Mosin/Maser and be begging for pain meds and menthol ointments after 3 shots.

.22s are great plinking and learning guns and just about everyone owns them for that reason. You can always take the .22 out to the range and through conversation get a few shots in on other platforms. I have talked my way into shooting a Sig556 and AR15 before and I have to say that the information you learn about guns on the internet does no justice to real trigger time. Also, personal preference plays a huge role as well. I have shot AKs and I have shot ARs and I must say that although AKs are great rifles, I'm not so sure that I would ever want to own one for a myriad of different reasons. But many people like their's. Just the same, I have my Mosin that a lot of people hate, but I like.

Bottom line, try to find a way to get some experience in and then decide. Don't buy something that you will regret because you didn't know how it would handle.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:04 pm
Yea.. I Think Ill Do That, Work Around 22. Lr to 7.92 X 39 mm.
Ill start To look around Semi autos ,Lever, Bolt,Etc Talk to Gun Owners and Gun store Mangers ((If They Let Me.. ))and That Stuff. Your Right, Trigger Time Allows You to Develop Your Own Way of Shooting.  

Char-pun

Shadowy Rogue

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:43 pm
User Image

Ivan Chesnokov is unamused.

Personally, I'd recommend something like a Marlin, Remington, or even Cricket bolt-action .22. They're common and reliable. Ruger is staying afloat on its accessories alone, I wouldn't even begin to recommend a 10/22.  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff