Reply The Official Australian Guild
teenage jobs-Part time/full time Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sezebel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:35 am
I will be moving down to Australia either this summer(winter down there.) or next summer. I need to know if there is any teenage jobs avialable? I've done job searching, but I can't find any jobs wanting a 17 year old. neutral  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:40 pm
Heh, good luck finding a job here...I've been trying ever since I was old enough to work...Haven't been able to find any work...Hopefully I'll be able to get some work soon otherwise I'm looking overseas. stare

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

Sezebel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:09 pm
>_<
Damn. I demand more teenage jobs!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:57 pm
where abouts in Australia are you going to be??  

Lai Woun
Crew

JewelsSparkle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:26 pm
Maccas. They hire nearly anyone.
It sucks, but boy-howdy does it teach you to be nice to retail & food workers (worked there for over 3 years).

Most food/retail places will hire anyone over "14 & 9 months", so if you're not fussy about where you work, it shouldn't be too hard... once you've got A job, then you can start looking for a good one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:29 pm
XD same ive been searchin high and Low for a job gonk I cant find one, you just need an eagle eye for all those little signs say "help wanted" if all else fails just give them a resume and say "I WANT A JOB :X" XD
Jks dont acctualy do that!  

Alexie_dennison

6,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200

Delithraldur

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:34 pm
As JewelsSparkle has said, your best bet would be to go to somewhere like maccas or one somewhere like Coles or Woolworths. You have a better chance of getting a crappy job there to get training in retail and stuff, and then you can shove that training onto your resume and use it for your next job.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:36 pm
JewelsSparkle
Maccas. They hire nearly anyone.
It sucks, but boy-howdy does it teach you to be nice to retail & food workers (worked there for over 3 years).

Most food/retail places will hire anyone over "14 & 9 months", so if you're not fussy about where you work, it shouldn't be too hard... once you've got A job, then you can start looking for a good one.

I'm pretty sure they changed the age to 15. I'm 14 and want a job...so uncool!
~
You'll probably be able to get a job at a supermarket or Target or somewhere like that.  

em_of_sand

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:35 am
The age has changed to 15 now, becayse "14 and 9 months" is probably just a bit too obscure and unecessary. neutral

I had trouble finding a job as well, untill it hit November, and then I got three offers at once. sweatdrop

It depends where you look, but also when you look. If you're young but you still have experience, you're probably in with a better chance.

Donm't wait untill school holidays either, search for jopbs just before the holidays, otherwise they'll choose the younger kids first.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:43 am
The rule for fast food places (Possibly also grocery stores) is 14 & 9 months. Younger if you have permission from your parents (ie: if you get your parents to say to them that you're allowed to). My sister started at Maccas right after she turned 14 because mum called them & gave them permission to hire her early.

Most other retail places won't hire you unless you're 15 or 16 though.

JewelsSparkle

Sezebel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:29 am
Well, I am 17, turning 18 in October. And I have worked in retail before, so it would is very helpful to know I can get a job, especially at my age and actually have retail experience! I am moving to Melbourne. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:46 pm
The best time to go job hunting is a few months before christmas.

If your 17 turning 18, waitressing is your best bet for a job, it's pretty hard work, but it's flexible and pays alright (especially if you're good at getting tips n______n )
I'm 18 and have a job at a homewares store, it's pretty cushy. Watch out for opening store and always check the local newspaper, they have great stuff.
You probably won't get that many shifts and stuff if you work for McDonalds or Woolworths because you earn more than most teenagers since your eighteen. I suggest retail like clothing stores or homewares and waitressing as your best options. 4laugh

AminoAcid

Corbin DeSeer

Greedy Codger

7,925 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:12 pm
Try the countless number of employment agencies. Give them a resume, tell them what sort of jobs you want, and then which ones you will settle for. Leave it with them and they will call you when ever a job like the oneyou were looking for comes up. They will then send your resume to thedesired place, and try to get you an interview.

I tried it, and had two offers from warehousing, one from a security company, and a few tele-marketing places. The employment agency itself ended up giving me a job though haha.

If that fails, you can always get a security license when you turn 18, and work in a shopping center as loss prevention. Loss prevention officers are just those guards you see standing at the exits of stores, asking if they can check you bag. You dont have to b big and scary, or do anything, since the person can always just say no, and walk out, and you get paid considerably well.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:00 pm
easiest place to get a job would be a carwash, i applied to the one im working at now, started working the next day  

StreekG

Sezebel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:09 pm
Ah thanks for the tips everyone...now, here's another question. Anyone know websites for teenage jobs in Australia then? (So I can submit my resume' and stuff.)Or just the newspaper?  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff