Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Atlus announces their first next-gen title

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cybylt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:23 am
Title: Catherine
Genre: Unknown, speculated as Action Adventure
Console: PS3, Xbox360

Vincent, a listless 32-year-old with a marked lack of motivation in both his work and his personal life, has just hooked up with Catherine. A charming 22-year-old with blonde hair and the sort of looks that a lot of men would kill for. It's not a bad catch for someone like Vincent, but he hasn't been able to bask in it that much, thanks to the nightmares he's been having ever since he met her. Every night, it's the same thing: Vincent's climbing up an endless stairway, running into talking sheep and giant hands, and if he stops, he knows he's going to die. In real life. Like a lot of other young men have been doing lately.
So goes the basic plot to Catherine, an action adventure game announced by Atlus over in Japan this week. The first game Atlus has developed in-house for high-definition consoles, the title is being handled by most of the staff behind the company's Persona series -- producer/director Katsura Hashino, character designer Shigenori Soejima, and sound composer Shoji Meguro.

"Before we storm the hi-def consoles with one of our RPGs, we wanted to try making something new," Hashino told Famitsu magazine this week. "These are the results, and it's pretty weird...or, I should say, pretty neat! What's unusual about it is how geared toward adults it is... It may wind up being a love-or-hate kind of game, but to those who find it fascinating, I hope we can provide them with a novel and interesting experience."

Atlus isn't saying much about what exactly Catherine's gameplay is like, although both the cutscenes and the 3D-based action scenes will use a muted anime style. The game itself is due out this winter for the Xbox 360 and PS3 in Japan; Atlus USA hasn't announced an American release yet. Stay tuned for more.

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

There's a rumor that it takes place in the Persona 3 and 4 continuity. Vincent was supposedly one of the people you could pick up in Tartarus in FemC's playthrough.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:53 pm
They did publish Demon's Souls... though I do suppose this is their developed first non DS/wii current gen game.

I have to be honest with you guys... I've never really played/enjoyed that many Atlus games.

Maybe I shall gamefly this one though.  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:02 pm
lolololololol looks like a date simulator

OH! and its not that sexy to eat pizza that way! Possibly not even safe... xD  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:23 pm
Tron714
lolololololol looks like a date simulator

OH! and its not that sexy to eat pizza that way! Possibly not even safe... xD

Ignoring the red-eyed demon goats, giant hands looking like they're about to grab you and how the player character looks scared out of his mind in most of his pictures... yes.

From what has been said in the article though, the nightmares and their world make up the core of the game though the theming is centered around eroticism, as their music composer has been told to create a soundtrack around the theme of that, "classic" and "horror". Which sounds like a really odd mix but then its the Shin Megami people so I think they can pull it off.  

Cybylt

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:34 pm
That game looks pretty mind-blowing...

And it does look like a dating sim aspect will appear.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:49 am
New trailer is out and its been subbed.

Trailer 2 reveals that Vincent's pregnant fiancé is named Katherine. Which probably has some meaning, what with his girlfriend/mistress being named Catherine.

In his nightmare it showed a giant monstrous version of her holding the bloody cutlery. As well as some giant robotic infant with chainsaws and hooks.

Also repeats the words nightmare and pandemonium a lot.

User Image
Vincent in Persona 3 Portable.

User Image
User Image  

Cybylt

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items