Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Mass Effect 2 surprise

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cybylt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:07 am
Today EA made an announcement today, as well as a video discussing a new move in the franchise.

Mass Effect 2 is going to the PS3 next January.

Microsoft has the publishing rights to the first game, but EA owns the right to the other two-thirds of the series, which is why they're able to do this.

Sony of America has a 20% policy, meaning that 20% additional content must be added for all titles being ported after several months, so we we have to wait to see what these additions will be.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:56 pm
I knew Mass Effect was coming to the PS3 eventually. I was just hoping it would be another story of someone else in the galaxy. That "big" announcement was a big disapointment.

But YAY for the ps3 owners for getting a awesome game!  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:34 pm
Hmm. Truth be told, without importing a ME1 character, I feel like a huge portion of ME2 is missing.

Maybe PS3 kids will get to select a backstory for their character? As in, at the character selection screen, they will choose Paragon, Renegade, Neutral, and depending on which one there will be predetermined choices made (Renegade = Dead council, etc Paragon = living council)

Also, 20% is fairly difficult to objectively measure. They could add 2 new crew members on the same boring level of Kasumi and call it a day (and I doubt Sony would object since they're getting ME2)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:45 pm
The PS3 version will have an extended intro chapter that gives a rundown of what happened in the first game and supposedly lets you make some of the decisions.

It also comes with all of the DLC put right into the game.  

Cybylt

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:09 pm
Define "all the DLC"

I ask because the only non-"cerberus network" DLC is Kasumi, Overlord missions, and the weapon/armor packs.

Including Cerberus Network stuff on the disc would go against EA's new business model of including DLC with new games that you can't get with used games unless you buy the DLC separately.

The weapon/armor packs contain some of the best (or the best) armor/weapons in the game... which would mean that PS3 players would just start with that stuff right off the bat (then again, anyone who buys the DLC would too). I feel that people who want to play the game the way it was designed might want to refrain from having those options right off the bat.

There's also the "lair of the shadow broker" coming out some time later, would they get this for free too?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:20 am
They aren't being clear on it, but I'm sure they wont add in the armors and weapons that would ruin the balance and difficulty of the game.

EA simply stated it'd come with current DLC built into the game.  

Cybylt

Cybylt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:53 am
Update with some clarity on the DLC thing.

The PS3 rerelease will include:
-An interactive comic retelling ME 1, that you will make the key decisions in.

-It'll include all DLC released before its launch

-And it'll have a new 6 hour mission. I don't know if that's exclusive to PS3 though. If it is, I'd imagine a huge backlash, and if its multi-plat content, it'll coincide with PS3's release.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:27 pm
It'd be nice to see something new on the Mass Effect front. Things have been pretty quiet since Shadow Broker came out. crying  

Haratio TaFotter

Cybylt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:59 pm
Update from EA - The content on the PS3 release will be eventually made available on Cerberus Network and that the new mission is multi-plat on launch.

Mass Effect 2 is such a big title for them that Sony's letting them break the exclusive content rule.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:33 am
I'm absolutely amazed that Sony is forcing this rule onto smaller developers/publishers. It reeks of unwarranted arrogance. Sony needs to learn their role that their system is less profitable in every way, and embrace any games brought to their system. Almost every game released on both systems sells far more (between 1-3 million+ more) copies on the 360. The only title I can think of that sold significantly more on the PS3 is Final Fantasy XIII - which makes sense considering its fanbase.

If anything the policy discourages publishers who released on 360 first from bringing their stuff over to the PS3.  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:33 am
I was kinda upset thinking that I wouldn't be able to get a 6 hour mission that was exclusive to the PS3 so I went snooping to the sony forums and found out that mission was a bad translation. The DLC that is givin to PS3 owners is 6 hours xD  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games