Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Academy
Tips for Mastering Hiragana Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:48 pm
Mastering that most vital of the Japanese alphabets is a crucial hurtle everyone has to become if they want to truly learn Japanese. I know there are a few of you out there who struggle with hiragana so I have compiled this list of strategies that my friends and I used when we were trying to learn hiragana. I hope some of them help.

1. Traditional Japanese Method

This is how the Japanese themselves learn hiragana. It works, but I warn you, it isn't very much fun. It goes something like this: write out each character over and over and over and over and over again until you know it. You can say the character out loud every time you write it if you like.

2. Pictoral Associations

This is a more efficient way of learning the characters because it's in tune with how the human mind learns. It's really quite simple: look at each hiragana, and figure out something that it looks like to you that is relatedto the pronunciation.

(This was how I learned, by the way...)

Examples:

か looks like an old woman bent over a cane, being chased by a crow. The crow goes KA!

い looks like a pair of EEls.

さ looks like a SAwhorse

へ looks like a HAYstack

and so on and so forth. A friend of mine tried to come up with a dirty image for every symbol to learn them... it was actually quite effective.

3. Internet games.

There are links to several useful internet games in the Japanese Kana/Kanji Lesson one. Go and use those, or search google for more. They can be really quite helpful.

4.Flash Cards

This is good for character recognition, but won't necessarily teach you to write them. Just make a set of flashcards for yourself and keep looking at them till you know the characters. You could try making a matching or memory game as well.

Are there any other methods people have been using to learn? I think you'll find that these work nicely.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:58 pm
Oh, thanks for this! :'D
I'm sort of using a combination of the "Japanese" way and the flashcard way. But I'll check out those internet games~
Pictoral associations just never work out for me. Flashcards do. XD

Nintendo Princess

flightyPrick

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:39 pm
I use the traditional Japanese way apparently. xD I learned hirigana really quickly that way.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:03 am
thanks for telling us that helps  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:23 pm
I did a combo of these. To start they were introduced the pictorial way. (I can still remember some of these. The katakana ヲ is the front of a 'wo'cean liner for example. That's my favorite XD) We also did a lot of flashcards and played karuto (Or as we called it back in the day, the slappy game. Where you have all the hiragana cards laid out on a desk and when the teacher calls one out you race your classmates to get it first. We loved this game.)

And, as with all things, practice makes perfect.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:01 pm
Kai Shi
I did a combo of these. To start they were introduced the pictorial way. (I can still remember some of these. The katakana ヲ is the front of a 'wo'cean liner for example. That's my favorite XD) We also did a lot of flashcards and played karuto (Or as we called it back in the day, the slappy game. Where you have all the hiragana cards laid out on a desk and when the teacher calls one out you race your classmates to get it first. We loved this game.)

Haha, I had the exact some picture for ヲ。 Using the "Adventures in Japanese" textbook series, by chance?  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:46 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

Haha, I had the exact some picture for ヲ。 Using the "Adventures in Japanese" textbook series, by chance?

As far as I remember, no. Doesn't mean that isn't where my teacher got it from though! In first year uni we used the Nakama textbook.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:16 pm
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

As far as I remember, no. Doesn't mean that isn't where my teacher got it from though! In first year uni we used the Nakama textbook.

I'm using the Nakama series too, though I would dearly love to set it ablaze at times.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:29 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

I'm using the Nakama series too, though I would dearly love to set it ablaze at times.

It's ridonkulously expensive too. I was happy I only had to buy the first one and not the even pricier Nakama 2. I thought it was alright as an intro book but I think its pretty weak on the kanji side of things.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:36 pm
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

It's ridonkulously expensive too. I was happy I only had to buy the first one and not the even pricier Nakama 2. I thought it was alright as an intro book but I think its pretty weak on the kanji side of things.

I know! I couldn't believe such a relatively tiny textbook set me back $200 bucks. I'll be needing Nakama II for the Fall, unless they make good on their threats to switch us over to the Genki series.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:38 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

I know! I couldn't believe such a relatively tiny textbook set me back $200 bucks. I'll be needing Nakama II for the Fall, unless they make good on their threats to switch us over to the Genki series.

Genki would be better I think, heard good things. I think its also more widely used than Nakama and therefore probably cheaper to get from the publishers (Can you tell I worked at the bookstore?)  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:47 pm
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

Genki would be better I think, heard good things. I think its also more widely used than Nakama and therefore probably cheaper to get from the publishers (Can you tell I worked at the bookstore?)

No, not at all! Neill-sensei seems to prefer Genki... it doesn't have so many strange, outdated phrases in it (I mean, really, "kanai" for wife? Our TA was offended.) I'm hoping they make the switch, because all of my other textbooks are horribly, horribly expensive. Three psych classes, Japanese 201 and Statistics in the fall. I'm doomed.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

No, not at all! Neill-sensei seems to prefer Genki... it doesn't have so many strange, outdated phrases in it (I mean, really, "kanai" for wife? Our TA was offended.) I'm hoping they make the switch, because all of my other textbooks are horribly, horribly expensive. Three psych classes, Japanese 201 and Statistics in the fall. I'm doomed.

Depending on which stats class you're taking and what edition of the textbook they're on, I'll sell you my old one for cheap. Psych books I can't really help XD I already sold my 1st year psych book.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:03 am
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

Depending on which stats class you're taking and what edition of the textbook they're on, I'll sell you my old one for cheap. Psych books I can't really help XD I already sold my 1st year psych book.

Stats 252... lucky me. I don't imagine that they update math textbooks very often. I hope they don't. razz

Haha, I bought the $100 paperback Psych 104 &105 texts this year. Damn school stopped carrying the textbook that covered both. *grumble grumble*  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Danshoku Kotonii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:39 pm
xD The picture method is how I tried to learn, along with copying before I lost my only good hiragana book.
; w;

Barely made it past chapter 2... D:

I made up lots of stupid phrases for the ones I was learning.
xD

Like そ was SO what if I'm a squiggle?
xD
It's my favorite to write...  
Japanese Academy

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items