Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Grammar Nazis: Giving intelligent people a bad name Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you a grammar nazi?
  yes: i is.
  I can be.
  No, I'm not a BITTTCH!
  Yes, I am.
View Results

Secretly Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:49 pm
Okay, I'm a bit of a grammar nazi myself, but I'm trying to stop. But I've seen a few people who were toltal hypocrites, flaming a few people who were just misspelling and using the wrong words like "your" for "you're" and being real bitches about it. I mean, if you're gonna flame someone that badly(being real bitches about it), you've gotta at least learn to spell! What are other people's opinions?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:03 pm
There is a limit to where I will snap. First impression are everything to me.  

Zealot of Insanity

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:29 am
I went through a time when I used to do that to my friends a lot, that's where the "spell-checker" part of my username came from. Now I don't bother, because I hardly ever get to talk to them on MSN any more, and the ones that I still talk to on a regular basis either have good spelling and grammar anyway or are so used to me being annoying about spelling and grammar that they make an effort to type well.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:22 am
people accuse me of being a grammar-nazi, but I'm really not.

See, whenever someone asks me to read over a story, you know, to see if it's good, I always assume that they want me to check ALL of it. So I just mention that they spelled "cat" wrong, or whatever. Then that person gets all mad at me. I don't get mad if they spell something wrong, I just mention it. Especially if the person talks about getting published, or whatever.  

writerserenyty

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:48 pm
I generally don't bother trying to correct people's spelling/grammar anymore. If they want to type like idiots, let them. If I see a major shortcoming on the guild, I usually quote them and then correct what they typed in the quote I'm replying with. If they're smart, they'll get it. If they're not, they won't. It's that simple.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:34 pm
I don't consider myself a grammar nazi, except on Furcadia, and Myspace. Then it's for fun. Here, I'm okay, to a certain point - hAiY aSl?? is probably going to provoke some bitching on my part.

On Furcadia, I just repeat the word they misspell annoyingly.

Fukuuayoxcvuoeikoya: I lvoe Inu-Yasha
Gothic Tampon: Lvoe.

Until they get pissed at me, then we have a nice little argument, generally lasting up to an hour.

On myspace I 'spellcheck' people's blog posts. Not people I know, just random people. Then I send it to them, and a nice little argument ensues, generally lasting a few days.

On NeoPets, I'm a grammar nazi, hell yeah.

But not on here.

Ambrey

Myriane

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:47 am
As I've already said before, I am not a grammar nazi even if I do point out errors to my friends and to my love as well (in French or English)... Being a grammar nazi doesn't help our cause any.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:06 pm
I do not consider myself a grammar nazi at all. I don't know of any times where I've ever corrected someone's grammar or spelling. D:

And I'm not trying to exaggerate the truth either. T'is true. x)

Kitykin

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:12 pm
I'm not a Grammar Nazi, I just love commas!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:32 am
I don't think you should flame someone just because they misspell a few words. I do sometimes, 'cause actually I'm not English. Luckily no one has been flaming me yet.  

Claire-de-la-Lune

SofiaDragon

Interesting Citizen

6,650 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:24 pm
I point it out if someone posts something unreadable or nearly unreadable. I don't go ape about typos and such, but blatent stuff gets me mad. I had someone confuse indictative with vindictive, and I simply had to post the dictionary.com entries.

I do a fair amount of dictionary.com work, but only when necissary. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:53 pm
When I snap, I just start spewing large amounts of profanity upon the person that provoked me, and they usually get the idea without having me correct them. sweatdrop  

Zealot of Insanity

Lord Thatlatu of the Tofu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:41 pm
The Grammar Nazis wouldn't let me in, because I corrected all 8 mistakes on their homepage at the time. rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:14 pm
That's a good one. In every page or post I've come across that lambasts people for spelling and typing improperly, I find at least one or two errors. No one has the right to think themselves better than others, because everyone makes mistakes. The goal should be to help those who want to learn and just kind of embarass those who don't, but not actually harp on them.

I'll be the first to admit that I make plenty of mistakes in my typing. When I write a story, no matter how many times I proof it, I always come across a spelling/typing error, especially with homophones like "pale" and "pail" and "poll" and "pole". sweatdrop

So as the Biblical saying goes, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

celesi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:27 pm
I find it amusing when people try to correct my grammar. It's not only because I'm an English major. It's also due to their corrections coming with more obvious spelling and grammatical mistakes of their own. I just phrase sentences in a different manner than they're used to. I also don't subscribe to the normal notions of grammar.
When people can take the time to slow down and scan their post for errors before correcting someone else, that's fine. As long as attitudes don't come into play.
As Shinobi said, everyone makes mistakes. I would add, no one is perfect.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff