Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:58 am
See you guys later today!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:07 am
What a coincidence, there's an "intro to skeet" match I'm going to this morning. No pics, though... I've got no photographer. But showing up to a skeet match with this ********> should earn me some looks. xd  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:13 am
Okay, fuuuuck my shotgun with a cactus. That is the worst stock in the history of long guns, unless they made one with spikes on. After fifty rounds of target load, my shoulder is bruising up nicely, and my cheek feels like I just had a root canal. First thing I'm doing with that gun is replacing the stock with a Knoxx. ******** the mag extension, that ain't gon' help for s**t if I can't shoot it without damaging myself.

The kicker is, after those fifty rounds, I put another twenty five in through a borrowed Beretta semi, and it didn't hurt at all, so I know it was my shotgun, not the ammo (which, on a side note, really makes me want to buy an Xtrema2). And the lighter kick killed my flinch and easily doubled my skeet score, though it was fairly low. My trap was much better, at 21/25, easily on par with the national-class junior shooters I was up with. The RSO's and older shooters were impressed that I was doing so well with an 18" barrel, open choke, and a folding steel stock.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:44 pm
I has pictars!

User Image

Saw an SL8 for the first time, thumbhole stock is a bit weird at first, but I could get used to it. And the ACR adjustable stocks are now available in CA

What I brought home:
User Image
500 rounds of Blazer 40gr .22lr, 200 rounds of Win Super X 22lr plated, a green laser pen, an RC helicopter, and 2 rifle bags.  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:27 pm
Our Cabela's has used examples of both of the H&K rifles. Things as so light! Pity they cost an arm and a leg each.

Nice score on the items you brought home. I'm in need of 2 soft carry cases for my rifles and shotgun. Damn stores around here want way too much for a budget case. I'll have to check the gun show when it comes back to town.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:01 pm
Fresnel
Okay, fuuuuck my shotgun with a cactus. That is the worst stock in the history of long guns, unless they made one with spikes on. After fifty rounds of target load, my shoulder is bruising up nicely, and my cheek feels like I just had a root canal. First thing I'm doing with that gun is replacing the stock with a Knoxx. ******** the mag extension, that ain't gon' help for s**t if I can't shoot it without damaging myself.

The kicker is, after those fifty rounds, I put another twenty five in through a borrowed Beretta semi, and it didn't hurt at all, so I know it was my shotgun, not the ammo (which, on a side note, really makes me want to buy an Xtrema2). And the lighter kick killed my flinch and easily doubled my skeet score, though it was fairly low. My trap was much better, at 21/25, easily on par with the national-class junior shooters I was up with. The RSO's and older shooters were impressed that I was doing so well with an 18" barrel, open choke, and a folding steel stock.

Interesting to see this news, Fres. I was sort of thinking of ordering the same stock for my Mossy last night, but found a kickass deal on the Knoxx collapsible and bought it here. Gonna make a neat camo pattern on it before instalation, and paint my tube follower something bright for higher visibility on empty. (Bought a bright orange one from Midway USA but can't find the damn thing.) Although not shown, it also apparently comes with a matching black foregrip. That might not be necessary for you since you've got black furniture, but I'll be glad to have matching parts in stead of poly rear and wooden foregrip.

EDIT: Damn, seems that price is only available for Mossy 500 etc. and Remington 870 in 20-gauge. Yours is a 12, huh?

Thread-jack incoming:

My planned camo pattern is a crosshatching pattern of gray with black diamond shapes (like a diamond grid) but I can't think of what would be good to make the pattern. A window screen would be good, but the gaps are too small. A section of chain fence would be good, but too big and not square enough. Any ideas? My other camo plan would be splotches of gray in large blobs over a black background and a few thin, white lines to be a kind of "thunderstorm camo". Silly, yes, but I think it's neat, and would be pseudo urban camo, and actually original and unique. However, can't think of a way to stick rain in there...  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:48 am
ArmasTermin
Fresnel

Interesting to see this news, Fres. I was sort of thinking of ordering the same stock for my Mossy last night, but found a kickass deal on the Knoxx collapsible and bought it here. Gonna make a neat camo pattern on it before instalation, and paint my tube follower something bright for higher visibility on empty. (Bought a bright orange one from Midway USA but can't find the damn thing.) Although not shown, it also apparently comes with a matching black foregrip. That might not be necessary for you since you've got black furniture, but I'll be glad to have matching parts in stead of poly rear and wooden foregrip.

EDIT: Damn, seems that price is only available for Mossy 500 etc. and Remington 870 in 20-gauge. Yours is a 12, huh?

Thread-jack incoming:

My planned camo pattern is a crosshatching pattern of gray with black diamond shapes (like a diamond grid) but I can't think of what would be good to make the pattern. A window screen would be good, but the gaps are too small. A section of chain fence would be good, but too big and not square enough. Any ideas? My other camo plan would be splotches of gray in large blobs over a black background and a few thin, white lines to be a kind of "thunderstorm camo". Silly, yes, but I think it's neat, and would be pseudo urban camo, and actually original and unique. However, can't think of a way to stick rain in there...
Be careful, that's the NRS (as in No Recoil System) version. That's just a straight-up AR-style stock, without the spring systems for recoil control. Cheapest place I've found to get the standard SpecOps stock is actually Gunbroker, at around $90. I don't have the spare cash for it yet, but when I get a job, I'll get that taken care of. Not sure if I want to switch out the fore-end for the Knoxx, or keep the Choate I have on there now. I might switch... the Choate binds on the barrel a little bit when all the way back, and I fear it could cause a short stroke.

Could you maybe find a digicam pattern and just turn it 45°? For the rain, either flick the paintbrush to make spatter, if painted traditionally, or d**k with the flow controls on an airbrush to throw globs. Never airbrushed, so I don't know how you'd do that, but I'm certain it's possible.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:45 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Fresnel

Thread-jack incoming:

Be careful, that's the NRS (as in No Recoil System) version. That's just a straight-up AR-style stock, without the spring systems for recoil control. Cheapest place I've found to get the standard SpecOps stock is actually Gunbroker, at around $90. I don't have the spare cash for it yet, but when I get a job, I'll get that taken care of. Not sure if I want to switch out the fore-end for the Knoxx, or keep the Choate I have on there now. I might switch... the Choate binds on the barrel a little bit when all the way back, and I fear it could cause a short stroke.

Could you maybe find a digicam pattern and just turn it 45°? For the rain, either flick the paintbrush to make spatter, if painted traditionally, or d**k with the flow controls on an airbrush to throw globs. Never airbrushed, so I don't know how you'd do that, but I'm certain it's possible.

Well, although I didn't know it wasn't the recoil-reducing version (should have guessed I couldn't get a deal that good!) it's not a problem. I'd wanted a folding or collapsible stock for a while, just what kept me was the price-quality ratio, and that most of them seemed to be thin around the buttplate, and I didn't want recoil jabbing into my shoulder like a dull knife. So I still think this will be fine for me.

I was actually just going to use Krylon camo spray paint. Have seen some great results with it on The High Road forums. Now I'm thinking some long, thin vertical rectangles like is used in that German rain camo they used to use.

Here's two paint mockups of my ideas.

User Image

User Image

The clouds would pretty much look like cloud-like gray blobs, not overlapped circles.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:36 pm
Needs moar dazzleflage.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

If you're camoing for the sake of looking cool, go ahead and rain camo it. If you want it to be effective, I honestly recommend dazzleflage. Paint each piece a different shade of gray, contrasting sharply with the pieces surrounding it, and it'll not look like a gun if seen from any distance.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:45 am
It's mostly about looking cool, but being harder to see is a part of it. It's not a shotgun for hunting or military applications, so I can pretty much get away with anything. The dazzleflage I actually think looks kind of neat. I might go with that. I'm just trying to think of what would look best on it, and what I could do the best. The crosshatch pattern doesn't actually do a lot as camouflage, and I can't think of what to use to make the pattern, so it probably won't happen.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:53 am
ArmasTermin
It's mostly about looking cool, but being harder to see is a part of it. It's not a shotgun for hunting or military applications, so I can pretty much get away with anything. The dazzleflage I actually think looks kind of neat. I might go with that. I'm just trying to think of what would look best on it, and what I could do the best. The crosshatch pattern doesn't actually do a lot as camouflage, and I can't think of what to use to make the pattern, so it probably won't happen.
What I'd do for crosshatching is lay down strips of masking tape to make diagonal lines, and paint. Wait for it to dry, remove the tape, lay more down in the other direction, and paint the second set of lines.

I didn't realize how effective dazzle camo is until I glanced across my room and utterly failed to notice that my rifle was leaning against the wall. The white and black patches were so highly contrasted that they didn't register in my subconscious mind as the same object, and none of the individual parts registered as "gun", so it didn't flick that switch in my mind. Because I actually did know that my rifle was there, I realized what had just happened, and was duly impressed. Although to be honest, the white bit is kind of high-visibility... a better choice would have been something like 30% gray.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:14 am
What I'm thinking now is a more stulized version of the storm so it acts like the dazzle, so I kind of get both.  

ArmasTermin

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:14 pm
Okay, unexpected problem. I don't have the new stock yet, but I figured I'd take off the old one and try my pistol grip just for fun, before it comes in. But I can't get the damn stock off. No matter how hard I brace it, even working the screwdriver with a wrench, I can't even make that screw budge.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:12 pm
ArmasTermin
Okay, unexpected problem. I don't have the new stock yet, but I figured I'd take off the old one and try my pistol grip just for fun, before it comes in. But I can't get the damn stock off. No matter how hard I brace it, even working the screwdriver with a wrench, I can't even make that screw budge.
Store it muzzle-down for a day, and put a few drops of Kroil on the screw, and I guarantee if anything will loosen it, Kroil will.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:29 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Store it muzzle-down for a day, and put a few drops of Kroil on the screw, and I guarantee if anything will loosen it, Kroil will.

Don't think I have any Kroil around, never heard of it. Is that a hardware store thing, a gun store thing, or a Wal Mart thing?  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff