Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gundams and Randomness!

Back to Guilds

A guild for anyone that loves mech, anime, or roleplaying, or even just being random! 

Tags: Anime, Mecha, Gundam, Roleplay, Close-knit 

Reply Mecha Discussion
I got proof Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:07 pm
I do indeed have proof that a mobile suit would in fact be more feasible than a fighter type craft in space.
I thought about it for a while, and this popped into my mind "Hey, those fighters would use alot of propellant just maneuvering, but a mobile suit could just use its own mass in its limbs to move itself!" Yup, the fighter would long be out of propellant and be unable to move by the time it would be able to get through the armor of a MS. In atmosphere however, it doesn't work out that way. But it does work for space!
Think about it this way: In space, a MS could just move it's arms or legs to the right in order to turn left. Or move its legs backwards in order to move its upper torso forwards (I.e. legs up head down). Or even easier, imagine yourself in a pool. You move your hands to the right in order to turn your body left. It just works using mass instead of propellant. Simple really.
While a fighter type would have to use alot of propellant in order to do the same. Using propellant to start the move, and using even more when stopping the move.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:19 pm
Ummm...no. Much, much less propellant would actually be used in space for fighters. Once they've been started on a path of motion, their momentum and mass would steer them. It's how satellites and stations stay up there so long without refuel. And it wouldn't take very long at all to break through that armor. The tiny bits of distance that can be covered with only movement of limbs is actually quite small. When you swim, it isn't your weightless mass that moves you, it's the mass of the water. No water in space, so swimming will do little but get you killed. BTW, that's not science, it's just more of your conjecture. SON, I AM DISAPPOINT.  

Silas Parrish
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:20 pm
A fighters mass would keep it going in one direction, even if you turn it around, it would only be going backwards then  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:35 pm
not necessarily. If there was some sort of weight-shifting mechanism in the fuselage, coupled with gentle bursts from strategically placed ion drives (which is what steers satellites IRL), it wouldn't have to stop on a dime, it could just shift its weight, using the momentum to carry the fighter in a wide arc, using very little extra fuel. Which would make it infinitely more maneuverable than a mecha. The mecha will require a s**t-ton of energy to get it to move even a little, considering its mass, and controlling its course will require even more. Subtle movements of the limbs and binders will make it turn and such, but won't move it any significant distance in any sort of timely manner. Fighter wins.  

Silas Parrish
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:37 pm
The wide arc gives plenty of time to aim and fire. Even with that, it would be simple to incorporate that into a mecha design, giving it better maneuverability.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:41 pm
But can any person keep up with something 30 feet long from miles away, moving at several times the speed of sound, while trying to control something many, many times that big, and many, many times as cumbersome? Look, if mecha was a good idea, don't you think we'd be seeing some?  

Silas Parrish
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

Mr_BlueCamo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:41 pm
VASTO ENIMU CONA MACINOSA TANMOZANZA OTO ECAMATOTS!!!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:43 pm
A real mecha.
Its the T-52 Enryu, used to clear debris.  

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Silas Parrish
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:47 pm
Yeah, I'd like to see you replace tanks and fighters with that thing. That's just a Japanese toy.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:50 pm
a 'toy' used for rescue operations. Never heard of a 'toy' doing that before.  

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Silas Parrish
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:55 pm
Once again, it's just not practical. It can only go where the road is flat, wide, and direct. Until it does some noticeable good, it's a toy. And don't tell me it has, because it hasn't. I've heard of that thing before. Besides, you neglected (once again) to address my last point--that thing ain't gonna replace tanks and fighters. The conversation at hand is regarding a militarily adapted machine built to replace fighters, and not an oversized robot that does anything else.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:59 pm
Again, More mech
While not as large, it is technically mecha. Carries weapons, gear, all that good stuff.  

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Silas Parrish
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:00 pm
Again, not what we were discussing. WE. ARE. TALKING. ABOUT. military technology to replace fighters. Show that to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:02 pm
Whoever said it had to replace and not supplement? You still see fighter in Gundam, so obviously they were not replaced, just supplemented.  

Frog Apocalypse
Captain

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Silas Parrish
Vice Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:04 pm
The original point was that mecha were supposedly superior to fighters, no? You didn't say anything about supplementing. Anyways, you gonna post in some RPs, or what?  
Mecha Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff