Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
What Makes a GAME?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:58 pm
How would you define a game in your own words?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:37 am
achievements  

nitnit
Captain

Wade640

5,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:49 pm
Immersive  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:06 pm
A way of living in fictional-minded people, and a another freedom, that delves into many different types of genres for simple and sophistaced people.  

The Ginger Dude

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:47 pm
Gameplay that hooks you  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:59 pm
endless fun  

dragwarrior

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:45 pm
A game is a very broad thing, for there are many forms of games: word games, card games, board games, video games, and pen-and-paper role-playing games, just to name a few. The thing all forms of games have in common? They all have some set of rules and an objective, and they're all basically used to pass time.

Now, to be a bit more precise, I'll assume "video games" are the topic of discussion here. Most video games involve some playable character or characters and some final goal to achieve, and perhaps some side goals as well (for 100% completionists), with few exceptions. All video games are a way to pass the time, as well. So, more concisely, I'd say video games are a way to pass the time by trying to complete some goal or goals using your on-screen avatar or avatars.

The goal to accomplish and the means to accomplish this goal differ by genre of game: for example, you try to shoot things in a FPS, or reach some predetermined goal by jumping, running, and avoiding obstacles in a platformer. These are all basically just ways to keep a player entertained (or hopelessly frustrated in some cases), but the variety of genres is notable.

I forgot where I was going with this post, so yeah. Games = entertainment, and sometimes a means of release/escape.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:29 pm
Innovation, creativity, FUN, user-friendliness.

Game is defined differently by people. The genre of the game plays a part on its likability too.  

DarkAMagician

O.G. Player

12,875 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Dylmoo Kurosaki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:56 pm
good story and atmosphere (metro 2033) addicting multiplayer (cod series and halo)  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:17 pm
To me, a hook at the beginning of the story, likeable and playable characters (practically, an RPG), and a preferably turn-based battle system.

Even if it has only one playable character for the whole game, that's fine, but I can handle mashing buttons for battle systems, too.  

Appelsina

Friendly Friend

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces